Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Boston might deal Beckett

Boston might deal Beckett

Read a rumor that if boston signs clemens that they might trade beckett for a closer. He had a rough year last year so his value should be down a little but probably still pretty high. Would love to get him but Im not sure if we have the chips to do it. Coffey or bray probably wouldnt be the type of closer they would want for beckett. I think if they do decide to deal him that Texas would have a good shot since there trying to deal their closer from last year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Boston might deal Beckett

I think Ken Rosenthal pulled that out of his whatever just because teams that asked the Red Sox about Beckett at the winter meetings didn't get laughed at or hung up on. I'm thinking the only way the Sox would trade Beckett for the soon to be 35 year old Okinori Otsuka is if he came stapled to Mark Texeira or something. At the very least, you'd think having Beckett close for them temporarily, until some better option presents itself, would make more sense than losing him, wouldn't it?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Personally I don't see Boston dealing Beckett, but Boston has tried other stupid trade ideas (like trading Manny). Beckett has proven he can beat the Yankees in the World Series, so I think they would keep him just to pitch against the yankees.

If they are dumb enough to trade him then i would go for him. but i would rather use the prospects required to try and pull Willis out of florida.

Gotta love the FO in Boston, they love using the press to further their own ends.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I think Ken Rosenthal pulled that out of his whatever just because teams that asked the Red Sox about Beckett at the winter meetings didn't get laughed at or hung up on. I'm thinking the only way the Sox would trade Beckett for the soon to be 35 year old Okinori Otsuka is if he came stapled to Mark Texeira or something. At the very least, you'd think having Beckett close for them temporarily, until some better option presents itself, would make more sense than losing him, wouldn't it?
    Personally, I think that if they signed Clemens (and if they still have money for him that's crazy), but anyway, if they signed Clemens, they could put Papelbon back in the closers role, or they could take Schilling (who has closed before) and put him in the role until they come up with someone for 2008. I don't see them moving Beckett there, who has no experience as a closer, or trading Beckett for a closer -- the only two believed to be "on the market" right now are Otsuka and Mike Gonzalez. Not good even-up trades for Boston even if they were to persue that route.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I feel that if Clemens was to go anywhere it would be the Yankees not the Sox. I remember that he said he wanted to go into the Hall with a Yankees cap on and his buddy Pettite is playing their now plus George is feeling the need to get back into the limelight with all of Boston's signings. Beckett will stay in Boston.

Turn Off Ads?