Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mac or PC?

Mac or PC?

I'm having problems with my PC freezing up on me for no apparent reason this morning, and am just generally about to the point of tossing the thing out the window and onto the street below in a fit of computer desk rage. So, this got me thinking--Mac, or PC?

Just wondering what those on here use, and why you prefer one over the other. Obviously, what you're using it for could result in drastically different answers. But I'm feeling like a nice little anti-PC rant right now. What does everyone else think?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Mac or PC?

I prefer Macs. They work without being susceptible to viruses and spyware. I've been a Mac user since 1987, so I'm used to the interface. PC fans will undoubtedly mention the lack of software, but there aren't any applications that I clamor for on the Windows side.
    /r/reds

I use both. Mac at home, PCs at work. Never in zillion years would I pay for a PC.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Depends what you want to use your computer for.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Oneupper's house has 4 Macs and a Dell I do accounting on. Quicken and Quickbooks don't work well with macs.

Macs are ideal for homes. Easy to set up, easy to maintain (not maintenance-free, however). And the virus and spyware issue is huge.
    Apple's support is good, IMO, although I've never had to use it much.
    iLife software is great for photos, home movies, music etc...

The latest MacBook I bought turned out to be a dud. Came down with what is known as Random Shutdown Syndrome. I didn't send it in until I was sure that Apple had a grasp on the issue (the were reports of 'repaired" macs continuing to show symptoms). However, when I did send it in, it came back fixed (no problems since).

I digress, get a Mac if you can afford it.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I have never used a MAC, but I have an interest in checking one out.

I have to say, those MAC/PC commercials are brilliant. Paint the MAC as the younger generations computer while the pudgy, stodgy, older drone toils with his less than effective PC.

Just brilliant, IMO.

GL

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post

I have to say, those MAC/PC commercials are brilliant. Paint the MAC as the younger generations computer while the pudgy, stodgy, older drone toils with his less than effective PC.

Just brilliant, IMO.

GL
    Once you go MAC, you never go BACK
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Once you go MAC, you never go BACK
    I perceived a switch over to a MAC as quite and undertaking for me. We are PC based at work and I do take work home on an infrequent basis.

I also have a side business (software & web design) with a few co-horts and they are all PC based as well.

Plus I have trained the Mrs. to where she can do everything on the PC herself.

Maybe my perception is not correct, but my perception is that a change now would be a monumental PITA.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post

Just brilliant, IMO.

GL
    i agree. My wife and I both love the MAC commercials as well. She's a mAC user, I'm not that familiar with them. But I do a sizeable amount of home recording, so my next home computer may very well end up being a MAC.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I use both. Mac at home, PCs at work. Never in zillion years would I pay for a PC.
    Complete opposite, Steve Jobs gets nothing from me.

I prefer Macs which is what I have at home. Honestly, for someone like me who is far from a computer guru, it is *still* a little harder for me to use, even though I've been using Macs almost exclusively for years except when I have to deal with PCs at this-or-that job. But the virus control is completely worth it in my opinion. I've never had a single problem with my current ibook, not one, in about two and a half years (knock on wood). This was unheard of when I was using PCs: virus, hard drive, blah blah blah. It is sturdy and handy and it just doesn't break. So I love it.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Macs are nice to look at and render graphics beautifully.

PCs actually have catalogs of software they can run.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I've been a PC user all my life. The only time I have ever used a Mac was once or twice back in the days when university computer labs were filled with them. That being said, I think I might try out one of those dual core processor Macs. One reason I've been avoiding Macs is that with it being a PC world, I've been affraid that I wouldn't be able to do things like email docs between home and work, or now home and school and work. But now that there's Office for Mac and those dual core processors that can run Windows if necessary. Not that I really want to use Windows. I'm just concerned about needing some piece of software for my profession that will only run on Windows.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    PCs actually have catalogs of software they can run.
    Yep, case in point I use prototyping software that's not available in Mac, why is this?

Because Mac may have funny commercials and all that, but businesses don't build their business on them.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Because Mac may have funny commercials and all that, but businesses don't build their business on them.
    Remember the movie "Independence Day" in which Jeff Goldblum uses an Apple Powerbook to decrypt the alien security codes? I always thought it was funny that the least-compatible computer on earth could somehow communicate with the sophisticated devices of a marauding alien race.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?