Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire AAA pitcher

Reds acquire AAA pitcher

Per Lance's Blog:

The Cincinnati Reds today acquired LHP Bobby Livingtson off waivers from the Seattle Mariners
    and added him to the 40-man roster.
    Livingston, 24, had spent his entire professional career in the Mariners organization. He was selected by Seattle
    in the fourth round of the 2001 first-year player draft. At Class AA San Antonio in 2005, he led Seattle's minor league pitchers
    with 14 wins and ranked first in the Texas League with a 2.86 ERA.
    Livingston, last season made his Major League debut, appearing in 3 games with the Mariners. He spent the
    remainder of the year at Class AAA Tacoma where he went 8-11 with a 4.59 ERA in 23 appearances (22 starts). Following the
    season he pitched for the Peoria Javelinas of the Arizona Fall League.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: Reds acquire AAA pitcher

Weird. It was originally listed somewhere I saw that Tampa had claimed Livingston off waivers, then sold him to Philadelphia. Apparently the Mariners either tried to sneak one past Eagle-Eye Krivsky or this involved our good friend Pile O. Cash crossing somebody's sweaty palm.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...mlb&id=2695392

So either Lance means Philadelphia or ESPN lies when it cries.
    Last edited by Doc. Scott; 12-14-2006 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Inaccuracies

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Weird. It was originally listed somewhere I saw that Tampa had claimed Livingston off waivers, then sold him to Seattle. Apparently the Mariners either tried to sneak one past Eagle-Eye Krivsky or this involved our good friend Pile O. Cash crossing Bill Bavasi's sweaty palm.
    That is strange. My bet is on Pile O Cash.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

MLB nullified the claim off waivers and the trade.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

I sent Lance an e-mail to confirm this acquisition for us.

MLB nullified the claim off waivers and the trade.
    So then he is ours?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

The balance of power has shifted in the NL Central......

Heres what Marc Lancasters blog said about it:

Intriguing acquisition

The Reds have claimed left-hander Bobby Livingston off waivers from the Seattle Mariners. No big deal there, except the Devil Rays claimed Livingston off waivers from the Mariners earlier this week and flipped him to the Phillies for cash.

How did this happen? Well, MLB nullified the previous waiver claim and trade, with no reason given. Apparently the powers that be felt the Phillies were circumventing the waiver process, which is prioritized by record, by cutting a prearraged deal with the Rays and sending Tampa cash for its part.

Cloak and dagger stuff right there.

By the way, Livingston has been added to the 40-man roster.

Well, interesting. Krivisky didn't pick up a ex-Twin.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I searched yahoo and found this article on Livingston:

M's Farm Report: Livingston battles back
    Used in relief by M's, lefty regains form as starter

By JASON A. CHURCHILL
    SPECIAL TO THE P-I

TACOMA -- Starting pitchers are a dime a dozen. But left-handers are always at a premium, particularly the few who throw strikes consistently.

Bobby Livingston can do both, and after a dismal stint with the Mariners, Livingston, 23, is regaining the form that earned him the call-up. But he's doing it as a starting pitcher in Tacoma.

"I knew that when I showed up," Livingston said of his relief role in the majors. "They just said, 'We're going to use you in the bullpen for long relief,' and that's pretty much all they said -- and to throw strikes."

Livingston had made just two appearances out of the bullpen -- one in 2002, his first year as a pro, and the other in the minors in 2004. After allowing 10 earned runs in five innings over three appearances with the Mariners, it seems clear he's best suited to start.

"It affects a guy like me a lot," Livingston said of his inconsistent use with the Mariners. "Because I'm a feel guy ... And usually when you get into a routine, your body feels a certain way on those certain days."

Starters are used to throwing about 100 pitches every five or six days. Livingston never approached half that total with Seattle and twice went more than a week between appearances. He yielded six earned runs in one-third of an inning in his final appearance May 12.

"I'm not making any excuses," Livingston said. "I didn't pitch well while I was up there, and there are no excuses. The situations that I had were uncomfortable. But now that I've been through that, maybe the next time I go up and am put in the same situation it'll be different because I'll know how to handle it."

A fourth-round draft pick in 2001 out of Trinity Christian High School in Lubbock, Texas, Livingston made his major league debut this season after posting a 47-24 record and 3.22 ERA in his first four pro seasons. He works with smarts and guile -- and a below-average fastball. Livingston, however, believes velocity is overrated in a pitcher's repertoire.

"I'm pretty sure that if I tried to throw harder I could hit the low 90s," he said, "but my stuff wouldn't be as good. I'm not going to substitute a mile or two miles per hour for stuff. I'd rather have good stuff."

Livingston's stuff includes a fastball in the 84-88 mph range but with exceptional sinking action on a two-seam offering. He also throws an above-average changeup and a curveball that is a plus pitch at times.

Scouts see Livingston (2-5, 5.06 ERA at Tacoma) as a back-of-the-rotation starter who could pitch 200 innings.

"He's still got some refining to do," one AL Central scout said. "I really would like to see a little bit more out of his fastball, but he has the other pitches, and as the Mariners know as well as anyone with Jamie Moyer, good pitchers find a way to get outs, with or without high velocity."

Source: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseba...9_mfarm20.html

There's your #3 starter

WHIP of 1.49 and a K/9 of 4.59 in AAA last year. Rotoworld tags him as no more than 5th starter upside FWIW. They are likely correct. Oh well, someone has to pitch in Louisville.

Interesting pickup. Livingston could materialize into something decent in the next two or three years (dependent on whether he can add a little velocity, which he has the frame to do). Probably won't be any help in 2007 though.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    WHIP of 1.49 and a K/9 of 4.59 in AAA last year. Rotoworld tags him as no more than 5th starter upside FWIW. They are likely correct. Oh well, someone has to pitch in Louisville.
    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Interesting pickup. Livingston could materialize into something decent in the next two or three years (dependent on whether he can add a little velocity, which he has the frame to do). Probably won't be any help in 2007 though.
    If nothing else, I'd like to stock Louisville's rotation with guys that have a chance to get better, instead of just relying on retreads.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

If Livingston is added to 40 man roster whom gets dropped off.

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    If Livingston is added to 40 man roster whom gets dropped off.
    I believe there was an open spot after Claussen and Perez were dropped and Weathers was added.

Turn Off Ads?