Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds awarded Tampa Bay pitcher in waiver dispute

Reds awarded Tampa Bay pitcher in waiver dispute

From Rotoworld:

MLB nullified Tampa Bay's waiver claim of LHP Bobby Livingston and subsequent trade of Livingston to Philadelphia; assigned Livingston to the Reds on a waiver claim.

Interesting. MLB finally takes offense at some roster shenanigans for the just about the first time in decades, deciding that the Phillies' move to pay the Rays to claim Livingston off waivers was inappropriate. Since that was nullified, the Reds, who also put in a claim, were awarded the soft-tossing left-hander. Livingston was 8-11 with 4.59 ERA, 165 H, 69/36 K/BB in 135 1/3 IP for Triple-A Tacoma last season. He likely has no more than fifth-starter upside, and his performance last year suggests he doesn't have a future in the majors. The Reds will likely put him at Triple-A Louisville.

From CBS Sports earlier this week:

The Phillies acquired left-hander Bobby Livingston from Tampa Bay for cash Tuesday. The 24-year-old Livingston made three relief appearances for the Mariners last season, while spending most of the year with Triple-A Tacoma. He was 8-11 with a 4.59 ERA in 23 games, including 22 starts. The Devil Rays claimed Livingston off waivers from Seattle before trading him to the Phillies. "Bobby is an intriguing player that gives (manager) Charlie (Manuel) and his staff another option in spring training," Phillies GM Pat Gillick said. Livingston was originally selected by Seattle in the fourth round of the 2001 draft. Livingston is 55-35 in his minor league career with a 3.46 ERA in 120 games (117 starts).

The Associated Press weighs in...

NEW YORK (AP) — Major League Baseball voided a waiver claim by Tampa Bay, ruling Thursday the Devil Rays circumvented rules this week when they took a pitcher and immediately traded him.
    The Devil Rays claimed lefty Bobby Livingston from Seattle on Tuesday, then sent him to Philadelphia for cash. MLB voided the moves, deciding the Devil Rays took Livingston with the intent of trading him.
    Instead, Livingston was assigned from Seattle to the Cincinnati Reds on a waiver claim.
    The 24-year-old Livingston made three relief appearances for the Mariners last season. He spent most of the year at Triple-A Tacoma, going 8-11 with a 4.59 ERA in 23 games.
    Last edited by Mainspark; 12-14-2006 at 06:46 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds awarded Tampa Bay pitcher in waiver dispute

I feel good knowing that our big move is now out of the way and we can start concentrating on the important stuff...like how many catchers we are going to have on the roster...or whether we can really carry a 15 man pitching staff with 12 of them as relievers...the all star game approach to managing the pitching staff I suppose...Oh, Oh and whether we will have anyone left in the scouting department after Wayne's World finishes his excellent house cleaning...schwing !
    There and Back Again...

I like this move. It is another low risk high reward possability. Several teams must have wanted him in order to try to circumvent the waivers process.

the two saddest pitching teams in baseball are the Phillies and the Reds

it's good to have company

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    I like this move. It is another low risk high reward possability. Several teams must have wanted him in order to try to circumvent the waivers process.

the entire American League passed as well as the worst teams in the NL

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Well there's not a whole lot of upside here.

There is a chance that he can help as a cheap bottom of the rotation guy or middle reliever if he can improve on his control. It's certainly low risk, there's nothing to lose.

Check out the Nats roster of arms lately?
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

How is this different than what we did with Chicago?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

I had no idea Chris Michalak had a twin.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I had no idea Chris Michalak had a twin.
    Oh C'mon, thats an insult to Livingston's everywhere... At least Bobby is on the southside of age 30.. How old is journeyman Michalak?

Livingston is a soft tosser for sure, but that makes Michalak a puss baller.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    How is this different than what we did with Chicago?
    I agree.. The Cubs took Hamilton and traded him right away to to the Reds.. so why is that overlooked??

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    I agree.. The Cubs took Hamilton and traded him right away to to the Reds.. so why is that overlooked??

Rule 5 pick can be traded, waiver claims can't.

Yay?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post

Stupid Ballpark Home Run factors.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post

The Reds last year were 7th in the NL in pitching last year, the Phillies 11th. Tied for 5th and 9th after the all star break.

In ball parks considered poor for pitchers.

There's lots of team sadder.
    Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 12-14-2006 at 10:19 PM.

Turn Off Ads?