Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Is Wireless Internet secure?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is Wireless Internet secure?

A new wireless Internet company is moving into our town. Their tower is supposed to transmit a twenty-mile radius at about 1Mbps (does that sound slow for wireless?). We're considering this $29.95/month option, which would allow us to cancel our landline phone service ($42), which we rarely use anymore. Windstream requires you to be a landline customer to get their broadband, so the total package costs about $70. That is in addition to the $60 we're paying for two cell phones.

My concern is with the security of wireless Internet transmissions such as this. I've heard of the dangers of using small wireless access, such as at hotels, to transmit personal information. Should I be equally concerned about this?

I've tried Web searches, but can't seem to find just the answer I'm looking for. I haven't called the company to ask them about their security. I'd kinda like to get some feedback from here before even making the call.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Re: Is Wireless Internet secure?

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    A new wireless Internet company is moving into our town. Their tower is supposed to transmit a twenty-mile radius at about 1Mbps (does that sound slow for wireless?). We're considering this $29.95/month option, which would allow us to cancel our landline phone service ($42), which we rarely use anymore. Windstream requires you to be a landline customer to get their broadband, so the total package costs about $70. That is in addition to the $60 we're paying for two cell phones.

My concern is with the security of wireless Internet transmissions such as this. I've heard of the dangers of using small wireless access, such as at hotels, to transmit personal information. Should I be equally concerned about this?

I've tried Web searches, but can't seem to find just the answer I'm looking for. I haven't called the company to ask them about their security. I'd kinda like to get some feedback from here before even making the call.
    I have Sprint wireless internet for when I'm traveling. They promise 400-700 kbps, but it is never anywhere near that, I don't like it that well. If this company can come through on 1 mbps I'd say that's a pretty good wireless speed.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

need to find out if u need a WEP to connect or not.. if yes, then it should be secure..

talk to them, they know their network and can/should provide this info for you
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

If it's WiMAX-based and they support 802.16e, you should be OK.

http://www.networkworld.com/columnis...-security.html

Like cincyinco mentioned, contact the service provider. They should be able to answer your questions.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?