Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you do Encarnacion for Ervin Santana?

Would you do Encarnacion for Ervin Santana?

I'm just curious.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you do Encarnacion for Ervin Santana?

Juan Encarnacion?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Man Pills

No.

I think the real art would be to figure out a way to have both.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

There is a reason why the Angels want to trade him, I am guessing he is either hurt or a head case.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Hell nawh.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

No, I am not enamored with the extreme FB tendencies and high HR rate of Santana.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

No.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Nah. I think Encarncion will be an offensive force on this club within three years.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'd love to have Santana on our team, but I wouldn't trade EE for him. As shallow as our system is, it seems we're deeper in terms of arms than we are in terms of bats. We have no good options to replace him in the short term and our offense could be worse than our pitching in '07.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Nah. I think Encarncion will be an offensive force on this club within three years.
    Three years? I guess it depends on what your definition of an offensive force is. I expect EdE to be the second best offensive player on the team this year, and (hopefully) an All Star by 2008. The main roadblock to the latter goal will be the plethora of great 3B in the NL (Rolen, Wright, Zimmerman, etc.)
    Go BLUE!!!

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    As shallow as our system is, it seems we're deeper in terms of arms than we are in terms of bats. We have no good options to replace him in the short term and our offense could be worse than our pitching in '07.

I'm not being snipy. I really want to know: how do you see the system having more arms than bats?

I think the Reds are in dire straits with the bats as well, but I'm not sure how one can honestly say the Reds are any better at all in the arms department.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

FCB, I think we're shallow in both departments, don't get me wrong. In fact, looking back, perhaps we're not imbalanced much at all. I think my second point is the better one. We've got basically no internal options to play 3B next year outside of EE. I suppose you could put Castro or Freel over there, but I think the downgrade at 3B would outweigh the upgrade in the rotation.

I'm curious to see Nate Silver's new PECOTA projections for both EE and Santana. The 2006 model shows EE at 23.6 VORP to Santana's 19.0 in 2007, but obviously those are going to change.

It's actually a really even trade in my opinion, I'd just rather have EE. However, if I could send them Votto & Cueto I'd be all over it. Then we trade Milton & Change for Sexson. Then I pinch myself and wake up.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Not a chance. There have been rumors of arm problems with Santana for a few months now and I dont want to be the team who finds out the hard way.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    FCB, I think we're shallow in both departments, don't get me wrong. In fact, looking back, perhaps we're not imbalanced much at all. I think my second point is the better one. We've got basically no internal options to play 3B next year outside of EE. I suppose you could put Castro or Freel over there, but I think the downgrade at 3B would outweigh the upgrade in the rotation.

I'm curious to see Nate Silver's new PECOTA projections for both EE and Santana. The 2006 model shows EE at 23.6 VORP to Santana's 19.0 in 2007, but obviously those are going to change.

It's actually a really even trade in my opinion, I'd just rather have EE. However, if I could send them Votto & Cueto I'd be all over it. Then we trade Milton & Change for Sexson. Then I pinch myself and wake up.

Okay, fair enough. I would never trade EE for a guy like Santana, either--and yes, for the reasons you list.

I guess I was fishing for a reason to believe the Reds had some hidden arms in the minors that I didn't know about.

Turn Off Ads?