Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you do Encarnacion for Ervin Santana?

Re: Would you do Encarnacion for Ervin Santana?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not a chance. There have been rumors of arm problems with Santana for a few months now and I dont want to be the team who finds out the hard way.
    Do you have a source for these rumors? I have not heard any alarming stories about arm troubles.

His second half was not as good as the first, but those things happen for reasons other than serious arm problems.

As for me, I'd reluctantly trade EE for Santana and take my chances on the pitcher. Starting pitchers are harder to develop than third basemen. I'd rather scrounge the bargain basement for someone to play third than scrounge the discount bin for a starting pitcher.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I guess I was fishing for a reason to believe the Reds had some hidden arms in the minors that I didn't know about.
    Maybe Almaraz figured that out too...
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Spitball, I dont remember where I read it at, but I did read it somewhere. I will see what I can come up with for a link.

No deal. We would struggle to score runs for a while, and who would be his replacement? We need bats desperately right now.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    No deal. We would struggle to score runs for a while, and who would be his replacement? We need bats desperately right now.
    Bats are much easier to obtain than arms. Santana was a 16 game winner with a 1.23 WHIP. I would rather have Harang, Arroyo, and Santana going three nights with Freel at third and a hired bat in right than the current rotation and Edwin Encarnacion at third.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Hell no. I like Ervin Santana, but not for Edwin.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

No, no, no.

No.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

No.

They're young, meaning that I was hoping that EE and Phillips would continue to show the qualities that we have seen, with the thought that they would continue to grow into excellence.

Can’t we offer up others that might make such a trade work?
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 12-15-2006 at 08:11 PM. Reason: grrr typo

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Bats are much easier to obtain than arms. Santana was a 16 game winner with a 1.23 WHIP. I would rather have Harang, Arroyo, and Santana going three nights with Freel at third and a hired bat in right than the current rotation and Edwin Encarnacion at third.
    nice point of view...

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

There was a time not too long ago where I might have pulled the trigger on something like this. With the much-more-iffy offense we have now, no way, not even if Ervin is healthy as a horse.

If Edwin proves in the next year that he can't play 3B then I might consider trading him, but not now. Bats like that with the type of range he has at 3rd don't come easy.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

can't say I'd do that deal...

I would do it if the Angels included M. Itzurus or D. McPherson (who they are giving up on apparently)... even throwing in a Cormier/Hatteburg type.

The title of this thread is kinda suggestive... "Would you DO Encarnacion for Ervin Santana?"

Nah! Maybe Barry Zito, but only if he buys me drinks afterwards!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Turn Off Ads?