Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you do Encarnacion for Ervin Santana?

Re: Would you do Encarnacion for Ervin Santana?

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Bats are much easier to obtain than arms. Santana was a 16 game winner with a 1.23 WHIP. I would rather have Harang, Arroyo, and Santana going three nights with Freel at third and a hired bat in right than the current rotation and Edwin Encarnacion at third.
    I agree with your statement about getting bats, but in this situation, I don't think it applies. Our offense is relatively poor. We need all the bats we can get.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I agree with your statement about getting bats, but in this situation, I don't think it applies. Our offense is relatively poor. We need all the bats we can get.
    I hear what you are saying, but our starting pitching is much more than relatively poor after Harang and Arroyo. So, when I look at the growing cost of crappy starting pitchers in this years market, I'd have to say Santana would easily be worth EE.

Shudder to think what kind of pitching and season the Reds would have had if they hadn't traded Pena for Arroyo.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Shudder to think what kind of pitching and season the Reds would have had if they hadn't traded Pena for Arroyo.
    it wouldn't have mattered. They didn't win anyway.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I've got as much man-love for EE as anyone on the board. But I think Spitball is right. We really need more pitching. If it comes at the expense of some offense, so be it. Besides, HOU went to the World Series in 2005 and finished 2nd in 2006 with an offense that could be charitably described as crappy. If you do that, hopefully Wayne could find someone with a halfway decent bat and halfway decent glove to man 3rd.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I've got as much man-love for EE as anyone on the board. But I think Spitball is right. We really need more pitching. If it comes at the expense of some offense, so be it. Besides, HOU went to the World Series in 2005 and finished 2nd in 2006 with an offense that could be charitably described as crappy. If you do that, hopefully Wayne could find someone with a halfway decent bat and halfway decent glove to man 3rd.
    the key there is that they finished 2nd. They couldn't hit the Sox pitching, so they got drummed.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    the key there is that they finished 2nd. They couldn't hit the Sox pitching, so they got drummed.

Well, get me to the World Series and I'll take my chances. If the alternative to losing the World Series with good pitching and lousy hitting is finishing 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th with bad pitching and good hitting, I'll take the former.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Maybe if we still had Aurilia,but not now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    Maybe if we still had Aurilia,but not now.
    Aaron Boone and David Bell are not as far from the radar screen as Aurilia was when they signed him. It would be easier to replace EE than it would be to find a viable starter for the rotation. The Angels need a third baseman and the Reds need a starting pitcher capable of winning 16 games and putting up a 1.23 WHIP. The Reds are more capable of winning the NL Central with Harang, Arroyo, and Santana starting three times a week and Aaron Boone at third than they are with Milton, Lohse, and Elizardo starting three times a week and EE at third. I really like Encarnacion, but I like American League pitchers with 16 wins and WHIPS of 1.23 better.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?