Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deal or no deal - Reds White Sox Style

Deal or no deal - Reds White Sox Style

Reds would deal Adam Dunn, Ryan Freel & Rheal Cormier for John Garland, Scot Podsednik & Joe Crede. This would give us a lineup of:

Ross - c
    Encarnacion - 1b
    Phillips - 2b
    Crede - 3b
    Gonzalez - ss
    Podsednik - lf
    Denorfia - cf?
    Griffey -rf?

Rotation:
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Garland
    Milton
    Lohse

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Deal or no deal - Reds White Sox Style

no deal
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

If the Reds made that trade, I would literally turn into Linda Blair in the Exorcist...we're talking the head spinning around, projectile vomiting, Tourette's, levitation, the whole nine yards.

Oh how I hope Podsednik never, ever wears a Reds uniform.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

No deal. I'd like to have Crede for Cormier but I'd probably have to give Kenny Williams about 6 pints of JD intravenously to make that happen.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    White, speedy, short of stature, "makes contact," unbelievably overrated...my God, there'd be a civic orgasm.
    Last edited by dsmith421; 12-15-2006 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    White, speedy, short of statute, "makes contact," unbelievably overrated...my God, there'd be a civic orgasm.
    No doubt he'd be loved by many.

No deal, Howie.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    if he does then might as well bring in Casey Daigle. The Reds would at least have some hot wives in the seats.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    White, speedy, short of statute, "makes contact," unbelievably overrated...my God, there'd be a civic orgasm.
    Yeah baby.

That sounds awful to me.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Any trade of Adum Dunn that does not return offense puts us in a BIG hole.

We haven't had too many significant changes to our roster since the 2nd half of last year, post "the trade". After "the trade" last year, we had the 27th best OPS in baseball and the 10th best ERA.

Rich Aurilia was far and away our most productive offensive player post trade. He's gone. Yes, Dunn is going to rebound from his crap 2nd half. Yes, we now have EE for a full year. This offense simply cannot lose Dunn without becoming one of the, if not the, worst in baseball. Joe Crede had a nice season, but he's not even close to a replacement production wise for Dunn.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Keep Adam Dunn unless totally blown away.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Any trade of Adum Dunn that does not return offense puts us in a BIG hole.

We haven't had too many significant changes to our roster since the 2nd half of last year, post "the trade". After "the trade" last year, we had the 27th best OPS in baseball and the 10th best ERA.

Rich Aurilia was far and away our most productive offensive player post trade. He's gone. Yes, Dunn is going to rebound from his crap 2nd half. Yes, we now have EE for a full year. This offense simply cannot lose Dunn without becoming one of the, if not the, worst in baseball. Joe Crede had a nice season, but he's not even close to a replacement production wise for Dunn.
    I think you're giving Adam too much credit and taking too much away from Crede. Last year's OPS was .855 vs .828, which in the grand scheme of things isn't very much. Plus with Crede, you'd be getting gold glove quality at the hot corner. I'm not saying I would make this trade, but Dunn's numbers have gone down three years in a row, while Crede's have gone up three in a row. Just my humble two cents

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    I think you're giving Adam too much credit and taking too much away from Crede. Last year's OPS was .855 vs .828, which in the grand scheme of things isn't very much. Plus with Crede, you'd be getting gold glove quality at the hot corner. I'm not saying I would make this trade, but Dunn's numbers have gone down three years in a row, while Crede's have gone up three in a row. Just my humble two cents
    Joe Crede is also a year and a half older than Adam Dunn. Last year's OPS from Crede was more than 60 points over his career average. Last year's OPS from Dunn was 40 points lower than his career average.

Furthermore, Crede's success was driven by a higher batting average and slugging, which are more variance prone than patience. I would love to have Crede on my squad. I wouldn't want him at the expense of Dunn.

Scott Podsednick is a slightly worse version Ryan Freel. Garland would make a nice #3 starter, which is where the deal gains a little steam. I don't think it's a horrible trade offer in terms of fairness. In fact, I think most Sox fans would turn it down in heartbeat. However, Crede has reached his upside potential. Dunn just had a down year. Buying high and selling low is rarely a winning strategy.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?