Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Matsuzaka may affect the Reds

How Matsuzaka may affect the Reds

It may be a stretch but I think the Reds may have a net positive by the Red Sox signing of Matsuzaka. Here's my theory: Bronson is pining for Boston, but he has two more years left in Cincy. In two years, the Sox will have at least Matsuzaka, Beckett, Papelbon (arb-eligible) and Lester under their control. If Schilling retires after '07 they will try to replace him before '09 (when they could resign Bronson). Thus, Bronson's timing and Boston's need may not be compatable, making it easier for him to stay in Cincy.

Of course, he could devolve so much by then from his 2006 season that neither team will want him. But I'm thinking positive--and this I believe is a positive sign for the Redlegs.
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How Matsuzaka may affect the Reds

Barring a trade, he is a Red for 2 more years whether he dreams of Boston or not. :deadhorse

An awful lot can change in three baseball years...I really don't think that Arroyo will be with the Reds in three years, but I don't necessarily think he'll be with the Red Sox either.

His career to date, and baseball being what it is, both lead me to believe that he has a good chance of being a solid if not spectacular journeyman. A great way to change this would be for the Reds to spend some money and build a playoff-caliber team in the next couple years, but anyway.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Bronson at the end of his contract will be playing for the bright lights and the big city of New York maybe even the second city Chicago. He loves a sold out stadium and the night life to play his music. Enjoy while we have him.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Bronson at the end of his contract will be playing for the bright lights and the big city of New York maybe even the second city Chicago. He loves a sold out stadium and the night life to play his music. Enjoy while we have him.
    Which is fine, as I suspect he won't be all that good by the time his contract's up.

Though if I had my druthers, I'd trade him at the deadline to get max, max value from him.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Which is fine, as I suspect he won't be all that good by the time his contract's up.

Though if I had my druthers, I'd trade him at the deadline to get max, max value from him.
    As I don't believe the Reds will be a serious contender this year, if Arroyo can have a good first half, I would absolutely flip him at the deadline and grab top value for him.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    As I don't believe the Reds will be a serious contender this year, if Arroyo can have a good first half, I would absolutely flip him at the deadline and grab top value for him.
    I agree, I highly doubt he would resign with the Reds and considering the money going to Lilly and Meche, I don't think the Reds could afford him. I think Boston is the most likely team for him to sign with if he tests the FA waters. Wakefield and Shilling are getting old and won't be around for to much longer so he could be a nice pick up for boston at that point. Until then i hope to enjoy him in a reds uniform.

how about trading him now? He's a pretty decent arm and seems to be a decent guy, but his value will never be higher than it is right now.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I hope/think the Reds will be contenders in 08. I would like to keep him for that unless we have 4 other better starters.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

The only player I would be hesitant about dealing is Harang. If you can get a good package of players for BA, then I would absolutely do it.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

I'm glad I've finally got some supporters of my trade Arroyo now concept.

His value will never be as high as it is right this second and with pitching as high valued as it is right now, I've got to think Krivsky could get a king's ransom in return.

It won't happen, but it's what I'd do.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I'm glad I've finally got some supporters of my trade Arroyo now concept.

His value will never be as high as it is right this second and with pitching as high valued as it is right now, I've got to think Krivsky could get a king's ransom in return.

It won't happen, but it's what I'd do.
    It's not what I want as it's simply a contingent move; if they screw up and don't get a king's ransom, it'll set the Reds back years and years once again.

If Krivsky had some cahones and a dead solid plan he would deal Bronson and Harang for prospects now. If the Reds ever seriously contend again these two guys will be long gone by then anyway so lets get rid of them now for young arms and plan on winning 65 games next season instead of planning on winning 75 games and winning 65 anyway.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    If Krivsky had some cahones and a dead solid plan he would deal Bronson and Harang for prospects now. If the Reds ever seriously contend again these two guys will be long gone by then anyway so lets get rid of them now for young arms and plan on winning 65 games next season instead of planning on winning 75 games and winning 65 anyway.
    Hate to disagree, but teams that consistently deal their best for prospects are called the Pirates and Royals. Additionally, Bud Selig has of yet to approve the use of batting tees to stand in for pitchers. I'd keep BA and Harang as long as they are sucessful and build a staff around them rather than waiting for "prospects" to show up and pitch as well.
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Hate to disagree, but teams that consistently deal their best for prospects are called the Pirates and Royals. Additionally, Bud Selig has of yet to approve the use of batting tees to stand in for pitchers. I'd keep BA and Harang as long as they are sucessful and build a staff around them rather than waiting for "prospects" to show up and pitch as well.
    And teams that think two starters and a terrible bullpen lead to contention get their asses handed to them.

Turn Off Ads?