Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All time great reds battery

All time great reds battery

I think it should start with Tom Bolton pitching to Troy Afenir.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: All time great reds battery

I have forbidden the name of Tom Bolton from ever being spoken again!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

why if only you would let his friends like Kevin Wickander, Ricky Bones and Mike Griffin help persuade you of his innate ability. Why, with the proper tutoring he might have reached the level of Ross Powell or even Bob Sebra!!

In no particuliar order.....

Joe Hoerner to Bill Plummer (1977)
    Rich Gale to Steve Christmas (1993)
    Joey Hamilton/Josias Manzanillo/Jimmy Anderson/Jimmy Haynes/Dan Serafini to Corky Miller (2003)

I have to go with 2003.

I dont know if Steve Christmas toiled for the 1993 squad. That would be impious and near blasphemy to mix up the years of service for Christmas

Billy McCool to Jim Coker

a great one ,just fell short in 1964

Ben Hayes to Dann Billardelo. 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    I dont know if Steve Christmas toiled for the 1993 squad. That would be impious and near blasphemy to mix up the years of service for Christmas

s'alright, neither did Rich Gale. Try a decade earlier.

Barney McFadden (53 ERA+) or Whitey Guese (52 ERA+) pitching to Bill Bergen (29 OPS+). Or if you really want to throw'em a curve, try Hall of Famer Amos Rusie (37 ERA+) pitching to Bill Bergen (29 OPS+).

It's only fitting for an all-time great Reds battery to include Bill Bergen behind the plate.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Iwish I was the catcher when the great Eddie Priest made his reds debut

Man Pills

Iwish I was the catcher when the great Eddie Priest made his reds debut
    I believe it was Taubensee for his debut and Fordyce for his swan song (1/3 of an inning, 3 ERs--I was at that game in SF). The question on everyone's mind however is whether the redoubtable Rick Krivda or Steve Cooke took the mound on either night.

Steve Cooke was among the pantheon of extraordinary Reds to finish undefeated. His only start during opening week resulted in a smiting of the Padres. Cooke was so totipotential that if left to his own devices he could have become the next Kevin Wickander. Rick Krivda on the otherhand is consigned to the netherworld of Reds among the many in his circle include Ross Powell, Jay Howell, JIm Dickson, JIm Duffalo and of course the great race horse Bill Kelso

Man Pills

Steve Cooke was among the pantheon of extraordinary Reds to finish undefeated. His only start during opening week resulted in a smiting of the Padres. Cooke was so totipotential that if left to his own devices he could have become the next Kevin Wickander. Rick Krivda on the otherhand is consigned to the netherworld of Reds among the many in his circle include Ross Powell, Jay Howell, JIm Dickson, JIm Duffalo and of course the great race horse Bill Kelso
    Stephen Larkin completing a put-out on a Rick Krivda applesauce ball in the dirt is the climacteric happening in Cincinnati sports history, signaling the end of the golden and the beginning of the bronze age in Rhinelander millenarian literature.

Of course I am still trying to decide whose contribution to the Redlegs legacy was greater Jay Ward or Mike Grace. They were a combined 0-8 at the hot corner but they did presage the arrival of a great slugging first baseman named Tim Belk. In fact the Tim first name has contributed some ineffable bliss to the Reds supporters. Tim Layana, Tim Costo, Tim Pugh and Tim Belk probably comprise an all star team of Tim not to be rivaled in Reds lore.

Turn Off Ads?