Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quickest way to fix Reds: Cancel Wayne's World

Quickest way to fix Reds: Cancel Wayne's World

Agree or Disagree?

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9869236

By Larry Dobrow

In these prescriptive baseball columns O' mine, I throw a couple of ideas out into the ether and promptly wash my hands of them. Never once have I entertained the possibility that I could do a better job running a baseball team than the dudes/dudettes currently in charge of whatever franchise I'm evaluating.

That said, after conducting a full-body franchise physical, I am reasonably certain I could do a better job running the Cincinnati Reds than Wayne Krivsky.

So could you, you and you -- that's right, you over there, with the hair and the teeth and the prosthetic appendage. Well, maybe not you, Mom; your affinity for "toolsy" players doesn't fly in this era of Moneyballing and imprudent spending.

Not only can I Save This Franchise!™©®?, but I'd like to be considered for the gig when Cincy ownership gets wise to Krivsky's contractual and asset-swapping impotence within a year or two. Assuming Les Rouges are general-managed with even the barest hint of competence over the next 12 months, they've got a narrow window for contention in the two or three seasons to follow. Seriously, where should I send my resumé? I won't ask for much in the way of perks, outside of an on-call Town Car and generous grooming stipend.

Short-term outlook: No team that calls the NL Central home can be deemed a non-contender; as we've discussed, even the Pirates could possibly luck/bad-hop their way into 85 wins. The Reds' problem is that they don't project to score a whole lot of runs, which will put a ton of pressure on their shallow-as-a-starlet rotation, 642 middling middle relievers and clunky defenders to keep runs off the board. Given that they're slated to play 81 games in Un-Riverfront and a bunch more in homer-happy Minute Maid and Wrigley, that's wishful thinking.

Assets: For all the yapping about how the Reds lack starting pitching, few NL teams boast a more consistent top-of-the-rotation tandem than Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo. You can't like the 59 dingers they gave up between them in 2006, nor their particular facial-hair predilections, but they look set for another 425-450 above-average innings in 2007 and beyond (I'm assuming the team will soon attempt to sign Harang to a long-ish deal that buys out his first year or two of free-agency). Meanwhile, I offer the following warning in the interest of the greater good: If you see erstwhile rocker Arroyo reaching for a guitar or a mic, pull the nearest fire alarm and take cover under a desk or against an inside wall.

Homer Bailey. Homer Bailey. Homer Bailey. More on him in a bit.

Liabilities: During Krivsky's long tenure in the Twins organization, the team always seemed to have a gaggle of prospects at the offing (of course, they consistently logjammed those prospects behind the Shannon Stewarts and Doug Mientkiewiczes of the world, but that's fodder for another story). Krivsky started strong in Cincy with the Arroyo acquisition. Since then ... yeesh.

Giving up two young, cheap, everyday bats in Felipe Lopez and Austin Kearns for a bunch of middle relievers -- one of them, Gary Majewski, with a bum shoulder -- was short-sightedness at its worst. Then came the free-agent additions of Alex Gonzalez (nice glove and a teensy bit of power, but $14 million? Did I read that wrong?), Chad Moeller (a guaranteed contract?) and Mike Stanton (two guaranteed years for a 39-year-old dude who looked cooked two seasons ago?). He also chirped that Adam Dunn might have to go because he strikes out a lot (as opposed to most of his peers in the lineup, who don't whiff as much but can't get on base or drive the ball past the pitcher's mound).

I dunno. Krivsky has only held the gig for a little while, but he hasn't left anybody brimming with optimism for what comes next. And that's before he drove longtime player-development guru Johnny Almaraz out of town.

Paying $9 million per year for Eric Milton's particular brand of artistry is akin to paying $650 for a cup of coffee -- a cup of coffee prone to skin-scalding spasms. The bottom-of-the-rotation candidates (Milton, Kyle Lohse, Elizardo Ramirez) inspire nothing if not knee-weakening fear. The team will be hard-pressed not to rush Bailey (relax, we'll get to him in a second).

Totally non-helpful and semi-realistic suggestions:

1. Start worrying now about where their next run will come from. Offensively, they won't be anywhere near as soggy as the Astros (when, pray tell, will somebody in the 77001 zip code realize that Brad Ausmus hurts a team more with his bat than he helps it with his decent glove/arm and polite discourse with pitchers?). But some days they'll field a lineup that includes the eminently platoonable Scott Hatteberg, the roto-world-good/real-world-mediocre Brandon Phillips, the aforementioned Mr. Gonzalez and fluke-2006 supadupastar David Ross. Oh, and the pitcher, too. The Reds could really have used a big honkin' righty bat to play first base or left field, but the ship has long since sailed on all candidates fitting that description.

2. ... so take Dunn off the trade market, posthaste. I know Krivsky et al have yapped about the strikeouts, which Mr. Dunn provides in almost biblical abundance. I'm also aware that as a left fielder, Dunn is a mediocre first baseman. At the same time, the guy gets on base and still might have a 50-dinger season in him, regardless of whether sabermetric gurus no longer get all squishy downstairs when they ponder his power/patience mix.

3. The mayor of Cincinnati (Jerry Springer?) should pass a local ordinance barring any sports franchise in the area from hiring retread middle relievers. Stanton, David Weathers, Matt Belisle, Brian Shackelford, Todd Coffey, Rheal Cormier ... where does it end, man? Where does it end? It's fitting that the highest-upside guy in the group, lefty Bill Bray, is currently listed 14th on the Reds bullpen depth chart at MLB.com.

4. Force Ken Griffey Jr. from center field to right, even if it means that he'll play the 2007 with a sad little frown on his bedimpled mug. It's time for some tough love: At this juncture in his Hall of Fame career, he lacks the arm to play the position; his legs respond as well to the day-to-day pounding in center as fast-food napkins do to flamethrowers. To replace him, a platoon of Ryan Freel and Chris "Da Norf" Denorfia should work well enough.

5. I realize that as a citizen of the United States of America, super-prospect Bailey has rights -- "inalienable" ones, as they say in the biz. That said, the Reds must do everything within their power to protect this kid and his gilded right arm. I propose hiring a handful of Guy/Gal Fridays to accompany him during his every waking moment. They could shop for his groceries, brush his teeth, fend off fetchingly fertile groupies and confine him to small, windowless rooms free of pointy objects between starts. Think Purple Rain's Jerome, but heavily armed.

Odds of becoming the next Detroit Tigers: Not all that horrendous, assuming 100 percent health and an early arrival by Bailey. Is there a single National League team that looks even mildly intimidating right now? All AL Central teams not based in Missouri would be anointed the NL favorite should they mysteriously experience a Freaky Friday-ish league juxtaposition.

If the Reds somehow make it to October -- and, as in 2006, it will only take 80-something wins to claim the NL Central's pity berth -- their best-case scenario starting troika of Harang-Arroyo-Bailey matches up well against any other NL starting trio. Hey, stranger things have happened ... within the past two months, in case you weren't paying attention.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Quickest way to fix Reds: Cancel Wayne's World

LARRY's MOST RECENT COLUMNS

Mariners' best hope might be cleaning out front office

Throw clueless GM Littlefield off Pirates' sinking ship

I sense a pattern here from the "sports" writer from Maxim, that's a shotgun shot of a column, very 21st century.. "In yer face"

Milton mention however shows his in depth research on Krivskys tenure.

Now this is the guy the post should have hired if they wanted to save their paper.

I read the article this morning...like WOY said when he brought up Milton's contract he lost cred.

Also, does he really think the Central is going to be won with 80 some wins? I know the Cubs are still the Cubs but they have brought in a lot of firepower...depending on what the Cards do...If the Stros stop making DUMB trades they are dangerous...thing is, didn't a NL Central team win the series last year?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Yes, the Milton gaffe shows certain depth problems, but all of his other complaints are surface too. Maybe I should have pushed for the Baseball Prospectus subscription this year for Christmas. Not to mention he is dooming teams in December when there are likely still contracts to be signed and deals to be done. They don't release Street & Smith's in the winter for a reason (and they still give "what?" predictions).

I'd tear in to him if there weren't a lot of truths in that article. Of course it's going to be simplistic and a bit of hyperbole, but his 5 points?

1.) Yup, offense is going to be as big or bigger problem than pitching in 07
    2.) You can't afford to trade Dunn now -- stop selling him and whining about Ks
    3.) No more middle relievers -- especially old ones
    4.) Junior to RF? Check!
    5.) Don't screw up Bailey -- obvious, but yes

I've seen many articles which were far off base. Despite the tone, this is pretty much on.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Well being that the author didn't suggest any solutions that would actually make the Reds better than they are at the momment (except the painfully obvious suggestion that KG be moved from CF) I'd have to say that the article was a waste of ones and zeros.

Just another poorly researched piece of sport writing clap trap.
    Last edited by pedro; 12-16-2006 at 12:19 PM.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Well being that the author didn't suggest any solutions that would actually make the Reds better than they are at the momment (except the painfully obvious suggestion that KG be moved from CF) I'd have to see that the article was a waste of ones and zeros.

Just another poorly researched piece of sport writing clap trap.
    True, the piece could have been compiled by trolling RZ and compiling folks worries. Throw in a couple put downs and head slaps and you probably have the exact article he wrote on the Mariners and the Pirates, just with a different header and colored font.

The dreaded sports doldrums of late autumn: the NCAA basketball season has not yet gotten into conference play, and the NFL wildcard races just don't seem worth writing about now that no one can watch any games on TV.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Milton mention however shows his in depth research...
    That and calling Coffey a "retread." Belisle, too.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I agree with some of his points but his writing style is atrocious. He comes off as an immature 13 year old. "As fast food napkins do to flamethrowers?" Is that what passes as idiomatic wit these days? Truly pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by terminator View Post
    I agree with some of his points but his writing style is atrocious. He comes off as an immature 13 year old. "As fast food napkins do to flamethrowers?" Is that what passes as idiomatic wit these days? Truly pathetic.
    Paul Daugherty at his earliest worst was better than that.

It did occur to me he might have done his research on Redszone though.

And I'm not quite sure WK has ever actually talked about trading Dunner, strike outs or no.

This guy is absolutely on the money-----Harang and Arroyo really need to do something about that facial foliage!

Rem

Factual errors, shallow comments (you gotta score runs....protect Bailey.....well duhhhh) and snyde comments. As some have said, read enough comments off of RZ and you can put together this story.

But, RMR is right, there is a kernal of truth in this article and, while very basic and shallow, his "suggestions" (move JR to right...again...duhhh) are technically good ideas.

But overall, not what I'd call brillant by any strech.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 12-16-2006 at 03:11 PM.

The quickest way to fix the Reds:

Add another good starter, a right handed bat, and move Griffey to right field.

And keep adding good prospects in the minors.

This writer could have saved a lot of words.

Turn Off Ads?