Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Is Major League Baseball missing out?

Is Major League Baseball missing out?

I was flipping through the channels on my satellite tv this morning and something odd occurred to me. Unless I missed it there is no MLBTV. Does Major League Baseball have a channel devoted to nothing but baseball? There were channels devoted entirely to the NFL, NBA, Golf, Tennis, Horse Racing, Soccer, Motor Sports, Xtreme Sports and so on. And I quite possibly have left out some channels devoted entirely to one sport or another. There was no MLB channel. At least I didn't find one. Is Major League Baseball missing out here? Or is there no need for such a channel?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Major League Baseball missing out?

Actually on the web there is, I watched a few games this morning.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Actually on the web there is, I watched a few games this morning.
    what is the website ?

I would also love a tv channel !
    While we are on the subject, last year xm had the baseball channel on my directtv but this year they are only playing the music channels. Was last year just to wet my whistle ?

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    what is the website ?

I would also love a tv channel !
    While we are on the subject, last year xm had the baseball channel on my directtv but this year they are only playing the music channels. Was last year just to wet my whistle ?
    MLB.com, I payed $15 for access until the season starts.

About XM, I was wondering the exact same thing.

it's still on xm. maybe it wasn't drawing listeners on directtv. it's a great channel. i don't listen to it constantly, but in my opinion, with that channel, plus all the games, and the opie and anthony show, you can't go wrong for $13 a month.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Bud has succeeded in unifying MLB's web presence, but it will be next to impossible for him to unify its presence on Cable TV - at least not with live games. Some individual teams are making monstrous sums with their local cable deals. That, more than anything else, contributes to the revenue disparity in the game. The Yankees aren't going to give up their YES deal for the good of the league.

I think with the declining national interest and ratings slippage in MLB that it would be tough to convince cable operators to carry an MLB channel that didn't include live games.
    /r/reds

Instead of that deal with TBS to broadcast games, they could have gone with an MLBTV channel and carried some games on that. I'm surprised they haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet. They are way ahead of the game on the internet, but seem to be lagging in the Cable/Sattelite market. They should at least have some sort of channel that goes with the Extra Innings package.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Yeah, I'd probably subscribe if they had it. I've gotten the MLB Extra Innings package every year for the last 3 years. It's nice to get out of market games when the Reds aren't on, or just to follow players I like on other teams

Turn Off Ads?