Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JD Drew failed his physical with Red Sox

JD Drew failed his physical with Red Sox

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=103

by Will Carroll

Tony Massarotti of the Boston Herald got the story first, but I have more details on the specifics of the J.D. Drew physical. Drew took the physical shortly after the announcement of the deal in Orlando, but sources have told me that Drew showed problems in his shoulder that “could shut down his power.” Drew had minor surgery on his shoulder after the 2005 season, so it’s possible that there’s more damage in there. It’s important to note that in free agent acquisitions, a team often does not have the benefit of requesting medical records from his previous team prior to signing. Speculation centers on the damage to Drew’s shoulder being more like Scott Rolen circa 2005. As Massarotti reports, it is more likely that the Red Sox get protection in the form of a very limited escape clause rather than scuttling the deal altogether. Somewhere, Bill Simmons just had someone kick him in the groin.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: JD Drew failed his physical with Red Sox

at least they detected problems, unlike with majewski

Porkchop Sandwiches

It sounds like he may end up the object of an incentive laden one year deal to prove his health and set himself up for a big payday next year. The only thing is, he can't stay healthy enough to pull it off.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo View Post
    It sounds like he may end up the object of an incentive laden one year deal to prove his health and set himself up for a big payday next year. The only thing is, he can't stay healthy enough to pull it off.
    How poetic would it be if he couldn't land a deal even close to what he had with the Dodgers.

Perfect justice, in my mind.

Maybe he should have seen a doctor before opting out of his contract with the Dodgers
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Is it really a surprise that JD Drew can't pass a physical?

Wow.

Merry Christmas to Ned Coletti
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Somewhere tonight Ned Colletti is 'high-five-ing' anyone and everyone within reach.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Somewhere tonight Ned Colletti is 'high-five-ing' anyone and everyone within reach.

Rem
    Maybe the Red Sox's had this all planned if they signed that Japanese guy. If the doctor works for them, they can say "fail him." Maybe they think they can't afford both of them, or they have "byers remorse." It is poetic justice.
    "you screwed the dodgers, the Red Sox's screwed you."
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

I saw this and first thought they couldn't detect a heartbeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I saw this and first thought they couldn't detect a heartbeat.

Rem

When a man's an empty kettle
    He should be on his mettle
    when his shoulder's torn apart
    Just because I'm presumin'
    That I could be kind of screwed man
    If they knew I'd fall apart

I'd be a non-tendered one year rental
    And awful sentimental
    Regarding Dodgers park
    I'd be counting all my money
    if not for Scott Boros' mouth running,
    but now they know I'll fall apart
    Last edited by pedro; 12-16-2006 at 09:27 PM.
    School's out. What did you expect?

hollywood mid westerner

word out of boston is that it is just a ploy by the Red Sox to restructure the contract. There is some slight injury, but its not as bad as it is trying to be reported. HOnestly, is Boras dumb enough to turn down the Dodger offer if he knew JD was hurt? And is Boston dumb enough to sign Drew knowing he's hurt? Both sides did their homework--believe that.

The Sox are just trying to stick it to Boras over the Dice-K deal and now basically going to give drew a contract laced with incentives instead of gauranteed money. The sox realize how much they overspent in the posting and now realize they are keeping Manny and his contract as well.

Stay tuned..but the Sox F.O. is pretty smart.

I'm not a big fan of J.D. Drew and personally don't think he is a very good fit in boston. Maybe the Sox front office is starting to realize how much more they get from Manny than they would get from Drew and are trying to get out of the deal. I would love to see Drew loose this deal and end up signing for less than what he had with the Dodgers. The current FA market has just soured me on the hope that the Reds will ever be able to make a big time signing. I know they are a small market team that won't play in the FA market much but it's hard not to hope and dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Patpacillosjock View Post
    Stay tuned..but the Sox F.O. is pretty smart.

If they are so smart, why did they sign Drew in the first place? Why did they trade Arroyo for Wily Mo? Why do they keep talking about trading Manny? They aren't that smart.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?