Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Time Magazine's Person of the Year

I'm Time Magazine's Person of the Year

And so are you!

http://www.charter.net/news/read.php...SNWC01L1_UNEWS

The Associated Press
    By LARRY McSHANE

NEW YORK (AP) — Congratulations! You are the Time magazine "Person of the Year."

The annual honor for 2006 went to each and every one of us, as Time cited the shift from institutions to individuals — citizens of the new digital democracy, as the magazine put it. The winners this year were anyone using or creating content on the World Wide Web.

"If you choose an individual, you have to justify how that person affected millions of people," said Richard Stengel, who took over as Time's managing editor earlier this year. "But if you choose millions of people, you don't have to justify it to anyone."

The magazine did cite 26 "People Who Mattered," from North Korean dictator Kim Jon Il to Pope Benedict XVI to the troika of President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

And Stengel said if the magazine had decided to go with an individual, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was the likely choice. "It just felt to me a little off selecting him," Stengel said.

The 2006 "Person of the Year" package hits newsstands Monday. The cover shows a white keyboard with a mirror for a computer screen where buyers can see their reflection.

It was not the first time the magazine went away from naming an actual person for its "Person of the Year." In 1966, the 25-and-under generation was cited; in 1975, American women were named; and in 1982, the computer was chosen.

"I always love it when it's a person — and it is a person, not a computer or something like that," Stengel said. "We just felt there wasn't a single person who embodied this phenomenon."

Last year's winners were Bill and Melinda Gates and rock star Bono, who were cited for their charitable work and activism aimed at reducing global poverty and improving world health.

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I'm Time Magazine's Person of the Year

With Time's track record I would have guessed that they had named the ever blithering and always ineffective Kofi Annan.

Rem

I don't know about you guys, but I expect royalties coming back from the sale of each issue.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I will be signing autographs, along with the other winners, at a very long table in Montana. And Wyoming. And Iowa.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Time wimps out on selecting the real person of the year (the Iranian dude, Putin or Chavez) because they don't happen to like them.

How lame is that?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Time wimps out on selecting the real person of the year (the Iranian dude, Putin or Chavez) because they don't happen to like them.

How lame is that?
    Time in the past has selected people such as Hitler as "Man of the Year" and then received criticism by people who didn't understand that the selection did not mean that Time approved of the person. That said, I find the whole "Person of the Year" process to be somewhat silly. I do not look to Time magazine for guidance on anything.
    Last edited by RedsBaron; 12-17-2006 at 07:28 AM.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Time in the past has selected people such as Hitler as "Man of the Year" and then received criticism by people who didn't understand that the selection did not mean that Time approved of the person. That said, I find the whoe "Person of the Year" process to be somewhat silly. I do not look to Time magazine for guidance on anything.
    Absolutely. I guess "Time(s)" have changed.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

Time in the past has selected people such as Hitler as "Man of the Year" and then received criticism by people who didn't understand that the selection did not mean that Time approved of the person. That said, I find the whole "Person of the Year" process to be somewhat silly. I do not look to Time magazine for guidance on anything.

Now, now.... let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

You have to admit that their "How I'd stop nuclear proliferation" series by Billy Ray Cyrus was worthwhile reading.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Now, now.... let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

You have to admit that their "How I'd stop nuclear proliferation" series by Billy Ray Cyrus was worthwhile reading.
    "If you tell my heart
    My achy breaky heart
    I just might blow up and kill this man"

Those lyrics were actually a very insightful and moving argument against nuclear proliferation.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

"If you tell my heart
    My achy breaky heart
    I just might blow up and kill this man"

Those lyrics were actually a very insightful and moving argument against nuclear proliferation.

Yep. That's just as good as it gets, isn't it?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I would think they would of given it to a woman who will hold the highest political office for a woman ever in the United States of America.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Since they were weirdly averse to avoiding political figures, at least we can take some solace in the fact they didn't pick Britney Spears or K-Fed.
    /r/reds

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Since they were weirdly averse to avoiding political figures, at least we can take some solace in the fact they didn't pick Britney Spears or K-Fed.
    But indirectly they did, with the all encompassing "you".

With the holiday season upon us, I gotta ask. What's the worst stocking stuffer? K-Fed's CD, or fruitcake?

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    I would think they would of given it to a woman who will hold the highest political office for a woman ever in the United States of America.
    Are you talking about Nancy Pelosi? Not to turn this political, but I think she could have been a quality choice had she been a driving force behind the Democratic Party's gains this past election. I think the big reason behind the gains were more of a vote against the current administration than a vote for any kind of coherent platform proposed by Pelosi. Her true test will come when she actually steps in as House Speaker.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Are you talking about Nancy Pelosi? Not to turn this political, but I think she could have been a quality choice had she been a driving force behind the Democratic Party's gains this past election. I think the big reason behind the gains were more of a vote against the current administration than a vote for any kind of coherent platform proposed by Pelosi. Her true test will come when she actually steps in as House Speaker.

Seriously, though, Pelosi is probably as known outside the US as Troy Smith.
    Time, as bad as it may be (and it IS bad) has too much intenational exposure to think so domestically.

Turn Off Ads?