Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current Lineup?

Current Lineup?

With the lack of additions to the everyday players, where do the Reds stand as far as the everyday lineup. I got back to playing my baseball video game today and it really got me thing about how the Reds should set their lineup for 2007. Here's what I got, feel free to post your ideas.

1. CF Ryan Freel/Chris Denorfia
    2. 1B Scott Hatteberg
    3. LF Adam Dunn
    4. 3B Edwin Encarnacion
    5. RF Ken Griffey Jr.
    6. C David Ross
    7. 2B Brandon Phillips
    8. SS Alex Gonzalez
    9. pitcher

Using Steve's Lineup Toy, here is the suggested lineup:

1. CF Ryan Freel
    2. 1B Scott Hatteberg
    3. C David Ross
    4. LF Adam Dunn
    5. RF Ken Griffey Jr.
    6. 3B Edwin Encarnacion
    7. 2B Brandon Phillips
    8. SS Alex Gonzalez
    9. pitcher

http://home.comcast.net/~stein.steph...mp/lineup.html

Here is what I expect from Narron:

1. RF Denorfia
    2. 2B Phillips
    3. CF Griffey Jr.
    4. 1B Hatteberg
    5. 3B Encarnacion
    6. LF Dunn
    7. C Ross
    8. SS Gonzalez
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Current Lineup?

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    With the lack of additions to the everyday players, where do the Reds stand as far as the everyday lineup. I got back to playing my baseball video game today and it really got me thing about how the Reds should set their lineup for 2007. Here's what I got, feel free to post your ideas.

1. CF Ryan Freel/Chris Denorfia
    2. 1B Scott Hatteberg
    3. LF Adam Dunn
    4. 3B Edwin Encarnacion
    5. RF Ken Griffey Jr.
    6. C David Ross
    7. 2B Brandon Phillips
    8. SS Alex Gonzalez
    9. pitcher
    That would be mine too against RH. If no one is acquired how about this against LH?

1. Freel 3B
    2. Denorfia CF
    3. Dunn LF
    4. Encarnacion 1B
    5. Ross C
    6. Griffey RF
    7. Phillips 2B
    8. Gonzalez SS

And when Griffey sits?

1. Freel RF
    2. Denorfia CF
    3. Dunn LF
    4. Encarnacion 3B
    5. Ross C
    6. Hatteberg 1B
    7. Phillips 2B
    8. Gonzalez SS

Narron Sunday Special?

1. Denorfia CF
    2. Castro SS
    3. Dunn LF
    4. Encarnacion 3B
    5. Hamilton RF
    6. Valentin 1B
    7. Phillps 2B
    8. Moeller C

Dunn and Encarnacion aren't allowed a day off.

You know Narron is going to look at Gonzalez in the 2 hole more often than he should.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    You know Narron is going to look at Gonzalez in the 2 hole more often than he should.
    I fear that Narron will give both AGon and BPhil far too many looks for the 2 hole.

I also fear that we will see BPhil bat leadoff more than once this season.

Anyone else wanna take that bet?

I like
    Freel
    Dunn
    Edwin
    Griffey
    Phillips
    Hatte
    Ross
    Gonzalez

I'd like to see the order as follows:

1. Freel (or Denorfia - Yes, he's that good at getting on base, in time he may even exceed Freel's abilities in that area.)
    2. Hatteberg
    3. 4. Dunn / Griffey - depending on who's hot - in a best case scenario when they are both hitting well, 3. Dunn, 4. Griffey
    5. Encarnacion
    6. Phillips
    7. Ross/Valentin
    8. Gonzalez

When I consider this - I'm optimistic about the offensive potential. We could use another OF/1B power hitter off the bench (Craig Wilson / Ben Broussard would be perfect). I do think The Reds need more pop lower in the order - Phillips is a valuable member of the team, but a more dangerous 6th hitter is a need, and while Ross had that pop last year, count me dubious that he can repeat. If he repeats his performance again this year, I will gladly change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I'd like to see the order as follows:

1. Freel (or Denorfia - Yes, he's that good at getting on base, in time he may even exceed Freel's abilities in that area.)
    2. Hatteberg
    3. 4. Dunn / Griffey - depending on who's hot - in a best case scenario when they are both hitting well, 3. Dunn, 4. Griffey
    5. Encarnacion
    6. Phillips
    7. Ross/Valentin
    8. Gonzalez

When I consider this - I'm optimistic about the offensive potential. We could use another OF/1B power hitter off the bench (Craig Wilson / Ben Broussard would be perfect). I do think The Reds need more pop lower in the order - Phillips is a valuable member of the team, but a more dangerous 6th hitter is a need, and while Ross had that pop last year, count me dubious that he can repeat. If he repeats his performance again this year, I will gladly change my mind.

I have to agree the lineup against righties seems average, the bench is a glaring whole, and conversely the lineup against lefties will hurt.
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

If I were making the opening day line up against a Righty i would go

CF Freel
    1B Hatteburg
    LF Dunn
    3B Encarnacion
    RF Griffey
    2B Phillips
    C Ross
    SS Gonzalez

I expect Narron to give us

RF Freel
    SS Gonzalez
    CF Griffey
    1B Hatteburg
    3B Encarnacion
    LF Dunn ( can't have 3 lefties in a row :runawaycr )
    2B Phillips
    C Ross

Assuming no new acquisitions:

Starting Lineup (8):
    CF Chris Denorfia
    2B Brandon Phillips
    LF Adam Dunn
    RF Ken Griffey, Jr.
    3B Edwin Encarnacion
    1B Scott Hatteberg
    C David Ross
    SS Alex Gonzalez
    <pitcher>

Bench (4):
    C Javier Valentin
    INF Juan Castro
    INF/OF Ryan Freel
    OF Josh Hamilton (The Rule 5 guy will make it, because the bench is pretty thin)

Rotation (5):
    Aaron Harang
    Bronson Arroyo
    Eric Milton
    Kyle Lohse
    Matt Belisle

Bullpen (6):
    David Weathers
    Todd Coffey
    Gary Majewski
    Mike Stanton
    Rheal Cormier
    Bill Bray

That is 23 players, which leaves two spots up for grabs. The Reds will likely add a position player for the bench, and a relief pitcher--though they could possibly add two position players, and stay with a six-man bullpen (my preference).

Contenders for the remaining bench spot(s):
    C Chad Moeller
    INF Ray Olmedo
    INF Brendan Harris
    OF Bubba Crosby
    OF Norris Hopper

Contenders for the (possible) final bullpen spot:
    Elizardo Ramirez
    Brian Shackelford
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Assuming no new acquisitions:

Starting Lineup (8):
    CF Chris Denorfia
    2B Brandon Phillips
    LF Adam Dunn
    RF Ken Griffey, Jr.
    3B Edwin Encarnacion
    1B Scott Hatteberg
    C David Ross
    SS Alex Gonzalez
    <pitcher>

Bench (4):
    C Javier Valentin
    INF Juan Castro
    INF/OF Ryan Freel
    OF Josh Hamilton (The Rule 5 guy will make it, because the bench is pretty thin)

Rotation (5):
    Aaron Harang
    Bronson Arroyo
    Eric Milton
    Kyle Lohse
    Matt Belisle

Bullpen (6):
    David Weathers
    Todd Coffey
    Gary Majewski
    Mike Stanton
    Rheal Cormier
    Bill Bray

That is 23 players, which leaves two spots up for grabs. The Reds will likely add a position player for the bench, and a relief pitcher--though they could possibly add two position players, and stay with a six-man bullpen (my preference).

Contenders for the remaining bench spot(s):
    C Chad Moeller
    INF Ray Olmedo
    INF Brendan Harris
    OF Bubba Crosby
    OF Norris Hopper

Contenders for the (possible) final bullpen spot:
    Elizardo Ramirez
    Brian Shackelford
    Switch Phillips and Hatteberg and you have something. I know Narron will give us Phillips at the top of the lineup far too much, but there is no good reason to justify that move. But then again, there is no good reason to justify anything Narron does. This will serve as the biggest reason why we'll see Griffey in CF for at least 100 games this season instead of Denorfia.

Out of the guys fighting for the last position spot, I think we'll see Brendan Harris make the club. Freel will see more time in the OF, along with Josh Hamilton, so I think Harris will need to be our extra infielder, since Juan Castro is a glove man, at best.

I think you're dead on with the final two for last arm spots. This should be no contest between Ramirez and Shackelford. It should be Shackelford in a landslide. Ramirez needs to get his head on straight in AAA before he comes back North.

I like Hatteberg in the #2 spot, and Phillips in the #6 spot, but I'm not crazy about having three straight lefties in the order, and I really think that #3-4 should be Dunn-Griffey. But if the Reds can find a suitable right-handed platoon partner for Hatteberg, so that he can be pinch-hit for against tough lefty relievers (Craig Wilson, please!), then I'm OK with a #2-3-4 of Hatteberg-Dunn-Griffey, and a lineup of:

Denorfia cf
    Hatteberg 1b
    Dunn lf
    Griffey rf
    Encarnacion 3b
    Phillips 2b
    Ross c
    Gonzalez ss
    <pitcher>

I just had an idea...how about this lineup? (Just thinking outside the box.)

Denorfia cf
    Encarnacion 3b
    Dunn lf
    Griffey rf
    Phillips 2b
    Hatteberg 1b
    Ross c
    Gonzalez ss
    <pitcher>

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I like Hatteberg in the #2 spot, and Phillips in the #6 spot, but I'm not crazy about having three straight lefties in the order, and I really think that #3-4 should be Dunn-Griffey. But if the Reds can find a suitable right-handed platoon partner for Hatteberg, so that he can be pinch-hit for against tough lefty relievers (Craig Wilson, please!), then I'm OK with a #2-3-4 of Hatteberg-Dunn-Griffey, and a lineup of:

Denorfia cf
    Hatteberg 1b
    Dunn lf
    Griffey rf
    Encarnacion 3b
    Phillips 2b
    Ross c
    Gonzalez ss
    <pitcher>

I just had an idea...how about this lineup? (Just thinking outside the box.)

Denorfia cf
    Encarnacion 3b
    Dunn lf
    Griffey rf
    Phillips 2b
    Hatteberg 1b
    Ross c
    Gonzalez ss
    <pitcher>
    Not a bad thought outside the box, but I would go with Dunn in the 2 and EE in the 3. Dunn's historically produced in the 2 spot.

Ideally I would hit Dunn 3rd, EE 4th, and Griffey 5th, and then find someone that can OBP over .360 for the 2 spot.

If there should be one absolute for the 2007 campaign, it should be Alex Gonzalez in the 8 spot of the order. Unfortunately, I have a very bad feeling that Narron will bat him 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, and 8 this year over the course of the year.

I can go with Dunn in the #2, and Encarnacion in the #3. That sounds good.

I know that in theory a #3-4-5 of Dunn-Encarnacion-Griffey would be great, but I don't think that we would be able to talk Griffey into moving to RF and moving down to fifth in the same season. Fourth, maybe.

So maybe we can go with:

Denorfia cf
    Dunn lf
    Encarnacion 3b
    Griffey rf
    Phillips 2b
    Hatteberg 1b
    Ross c
    Gonzalez ss
    <pitcher>

I'm OK with Gonzalez hitting seventh, if Castro or Valentin (vs. lefties) happen to be in the order. but I agree that his usual spot should be eighth.

Also, maybe a rookie like Calvin Medlock can contend for the final bullpen spot. I would rather have the seventh man (if they are going with seven--I wish they wouldn't) be right-handed.

Why do so many want Phillips hitting 6th (or 5th)? He's not a power guy. Phillips and Gonzo are 7th and 8th IMO.

Use EE 4th to break-up the lefties. Deno, Hatte (ick!), Dunn, EE, Griffey, Ross, Phillips and Gonzo.

As I said earlier, I don't think the Reds can convince Griffey to move from CF to RF and move down to the #5 spot in the order at the same time. They might be able to do one or the other, but not both IMO. (I know some folks will say that you just let him know who's the boss, but the fact is that we are dealing with professional athletics, and there are massive egos involved--egos that you don't want to bruise.) A happy Griffey is very important to this club.

Now you might be able to convince Griffey to move to RF and move to the #4 spot in the order, because the clean-up spot is still a marquee spot in the order, and he still produces offensively like a #4 hitter should.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 12-17-2006 at 04:39 PM.

Turn Off Ads?