Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays shopping Alex Rios for a starter

Re: Blue Jays shopping Alex Rios for a starter

I would say Arroyo has way more value than Rios.

He is cheap for the next 2 seasons and just had a fantastic season. He's worth a pennate to somebody. If we trade Arroyo right now, Krivsky needs to bring in a kings ransom of talent that could really help set up the future for the Reds. Rios doesn't do that. Getting Rios for Arroyo hurts us right now, and doesn't do a whole lot to make us a great team in the future. He may be under control for 4 years, but 3 of them are going to be pretty expensive.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    If not EZRam (though I do disagree with you about his value), I really think that a combo of Felipe and EZ, or Milton, or Dumatrait may have worked.
    Lopez didn't have the value to bring in a guy like Rios. They wanted pitching, and of the list of Milton, EZ, Dumatrait wouldn't be exactly what they are looking for. Those guys are 4-5 starters at best right now. Toronto has the same kind of mixed bag of junk, they want good, established pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post

He is cheap for the next 2 seasons and just had a fantastic season. He's worth a pennate to somebody. If we trade Arroyo right now, Krivsky needs to bring in a kings ransom of talent that could really help set up the future for the Reds. Rios doesn't do that. Getting Rios for Arroyo hurts us right now, and doesn't do a whole lot to make us a great team in the future. He may be under control for 4 years, but 3 of them are going to be pretty expensive.
    What about Adam Lind, Alex Rios, and Ricky Romero for Bronson Arroyo and Chris Denorfia?

Lind 23 years old

AAA Syracuse .367/.415/.600/1.015
    Toronto (60 ABs) .394/.496/.596/1.092

He seems like a more sure thing than Votto although he is more of a DH than a 1st baseman.
    Last edited by Jpup; 12-17-2006 at 01:59 PM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Heres what I would do:

Trade Arroyo and Votto for Rios

Trade Dunn for Penny and Ethier

Sign Suppan to a 3 year 27 mil. deal

IF the Reds can somehow work this magic out it would give the Reds a strong lineup that could compete.

SP:
    Harang
    Penny
    Suppan
    Lohse
    Milton
    This is a better than average rotation and it would give Cincy a chance to win.
    Lineup:
    1B Hatte
    2b Phillips
    SS A. Gon.
    3B E.E.
    LF Ethier
    CF Rios
    RF JR.
    C Ross

NOw thats a solid lineup if they could somehow pull it off.I see no reason it couldnt work either.The trades proposed works on both sides and the money would be right aswell,maybe a little more but not much.So how do you guys see it,think it could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    What about Adam Lind, Alex Rios, and Ricky Romero for Bronson Arroyo and Chris Denorfia?
    That would be pretty difficult to turn down. We could then trade Votto (or Lind) for some good pitching.

But unless the FO gets motivated, those 2 cheap seasons from Arroyo will result in more disappointment.

That would be pretty difficult to turn down. We could then trade Votto (or Lind) for some good pitching.
    That is my thought as well, but I expect the Reds to keep Arroyo and then his value goes down or he will walk away leaving the Reds empty handed. They need to either trade him or sign him to a longer deal during next season.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Rios for Arroyo would be a great trade talent wise.

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    Heres what I would do:

Trade Arroyo and Votto for Rios

Trade Dunn for Penny and Ethier

Sign Suppan to a 3 year 27 mil. deal

IF the Reds can somehow work this magic out it would give the Reds a strong lineup that could compete.

SP:
    Harang
    Penny
    Suppan
    Lohse
    Milton
    This is a better than average rotation and it would give Cincy a chance to win.
    Lineup:
    1B Hatte
    2b Phillips
    SS A. Gon.
    3B E.E.
    LF Ethier
    CF Rios
    RF JR.
    C Ross

NOw thats a solid lineup if they could somehow pull it off.I see no reason it couldnt work either.The trades proposed works on both sides and the money would be right aswell,maybe a little more but not much.So how do you guys see it,think it could happen.
    You're going to trade Votto and Arroyo for Rios? That's ridiculous.
    School's out. What did you expect?

like AK said, you have to get more with the pitching market the way it is. In a normal year, I would trade them straight up, but the Reds have to get a haul in return if they trade what little pitching they have. Romero would be a decent piece.

I was just glancing over Romero's stats, he appears to be a pretty good guy, but had some trouble in AA at the age of 21 last season. His numbers in A ball were very good. It might be a little early to judge on him.
    Last edited by Jpup; 12-17-2006 at 02:07 PM.

Rios is ok and all but it just goes to show how seduced some fans are by guys just b/c they hit .300 once.

The guys got a lifetime OPS of .763 and his OPS post all star game last year was .708.

I'm sorry but this man love for the guy based on one hot half season is ludicrous.

Do I want to trade both to get Rios no,but I think that is what it will take to get him.I could see the Jays throwing in a prospect aswell but it will take a deal something like that to get Rios.I just say you have to get Rios if you can for Arroyo,especially if tis straight up.

for the blue jays.

Lopez didn't have the value to bring in a guy like Rios. They wanted pitching, and of the list of Milton, EZ, Dumatrait wouldn't be exactly what they are looking for. Those guys are 4-5 starters at best right now. Toronto has the same kind of mixed bag of junk, they want good, established pitching.
    Toronto wants a 4th starter. You telling me that none of those guys would work? Also, I'm talking Felipe because it would address a team need for Toronto. Their middle IF is awful. Aaron Hill, Russ Adams, ROYCE CLAYTON, John McDonald and Jason Smith..................................

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Rios is ok and all but it just goes to show how seduced some fans are by guys just b/c they hit .300 once.

The guys got a lifetime OPS of .763 and his OPS post all star game last year was .708.

I'm sorry but this man love for the guy based on one hot half season is ludicrous.
    The love for Rios comes from the fact that he's always been a highly regarded player, and last year he started to show that he was finally getting IT. It's not like he was a nobody who just came from nowhere.

Turn Off Ads?