Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays shopping Alex Rios for a starter

Re: Blue Jays shopping Alex Rios for a starter

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    That would be pretty difficult to turn down. We could then trade Votto (or Lind) for some good pitching.
    Lind would be replacing Rios, so I don't think getting both of them is feasible.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Toronto wants a 4th starter. You telling me that none of those guys would work? Also, I'm talking Felipe because it would address a team need for Toronto. Their middle IF is awful. Aaron Hill, Russ Adams, ROYCE CLAYTON, John McDonald and Jason Smith..................................
    They weren't in a position last year to trade Rios, but you do have a good point about their MIF. They don't have anything too promising in the minors either. This might be a time to unload Brandon Phillips for a nice return.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Rios is a young stud and in the long run I say he ends up having a better big league career than Bronson.

The love for Rios comes from the fact that he's always been a highly regarded player, and last year he started to show that he was finally getting IT. It's not like he was a nobody who just came from nowhere.
    What he said.

And he had a staff infection that knocked him out for a LONG time ater the all-star game.

Plus, his defense (esp his arm) is top shelf.

The love for Rios comes from the fact that he's always been a highly regarded player, and last year he started to show that he was finally getting IT. It's not like he was a nobody who just came from nowhere.
    So he's a prospect who may or may not actually suck? Whoop dee whoo. He sure ain't worth Arroyo alone, let alone Arroyo and Votto.

Oh, and BTW, in SEVEN minor league seasons Rios had an OPS of .736 and hit a TOTAL of 20 HR's. Yep, the guys a stud.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    So he's a prospect who may or may not actually suck? Whoop dee whoo. He sure ain't worth Arroyo alone, let alone Arroyo and Votto.

Oh, and BTW, in SEVEN minor league seasons Rios had an OPS of .736 and hit a TOTAL of 20 HR's. Yep, the guys a stud.
    Do some history on Arroyo and let us know what he did before last year. That 2006 4.51 era looks spectacular. "Regression to the Mean" could be the theme to his 2007 highlight video.

For small-market teams, projection is the number one skill you need. Rios, after playing 7 minor league seasons and 3 in the majors, is still only going to be 26 next year. Which means he is still only out of college for 3 years, if he went to college. He is a defensive stud and a budding star at the plate. 2 more years of Arroyo while languishing in 4th place doesn't really excite me.

This is why I love these message boards we all state our own oppinions and play so nice together.

It was never my intention to move Arroyo for him, so don't pin that on me.

Nice of you to try to use HRs as a statistical indicator on a guy who is a balance of speed and power, and not merely just a masher.

I'll take a 25/25 guy who hits for average and plays great D over a 50 hr .220 hitter anyday of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Do some history on Arroyo and let us know what he did before last year. That 2006 4.51 era looks spectacular. "Regression to the Mean" could be the theme to his 2007 highlight video.

For small-market teams, projection is the number one skill you need. Rios, after playing 7 minor league seasons and 3 in the majors, is still only going to be 26 next year. Which means he is still only out of college for 3 years, if he went to college. He is a defensive stud and a budding star at the plate. 2 more years of Arroyo while languishing in 4th place doesn't really excite me.
    Even if Arroyo regresses from his 2006 numbers a league average starter signed at 3 million a year is light years more valuable than a guy who is quickly approaching arbtritration with no solid track record of success in either the minor or major leagues and exactly one half season of decent, not spectactular, baseball in the majors under his belt.

His ERA in 2005 aside, Arroyo has a had three solid years of starting under his belt.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Even if Arroyo regresses from his 2006 numbers a league average starter signed at 3 million a year is light years more valuable than a guy who is quickly approaching arbtritration with no solid track record of success in either the minor or major leagues and exactly one half season of decent, not spectactular, baseball in the majors under his belt.

His ERA in 2005 aside, Arroyo has a had three solid years of starting under his belt.
    If WK dealt Arroyo for Rios, there is a better shot of Rios being here when this team is in contention than Arroyo if the trade wasn't made.

It was never my intention to move Arroyo for him, so don't pin that on me.

Nice of you to try to use HRs as a statistical indicator on a guy who is a balance of speed and power, and not merely just a masher.

I'll take a 25/25 guy who hits for average and plays great D over a 50 hr .220 hitter anyday of the week.

Ah, there it is, the back handed slam at Dunn. I sensed it coming.

Rios stole 44 bases in 7 years in the minors. Super. Just about any dude in the majors can steal 15 bases a year. BTW, Dunn has more career stolen bases than Rios, with a better success rate.

Get back to me when Rios actually does any of the things that for which you guys are touting him. He's never hit 20 HR's on any level.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

That's a pretty short-sighted way of looking at it. There's a lot more factors than HRs, batting average, and SBs in the equation.

We don't have the pitching to deal for Rios. However we should look at a three way deal with Dunn going somewhere for pitching and that pitching going to Toronto. I'd rather have Rios and his 850 OPS than Dunn and his 900 OPS plus pitiful defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    That's a pretty short-sighted way of looking at it. There's a lot more factors than HRs, batting average, and SBs in the equation.

Such as triples, doubles, defense, situational hitting, and contract?

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    We don't have the pitching to deal for Rios. However we should look at a three way deal with Dunn going somewhere for pitching and that pitching going to Toronto. I'd rather have Rios and his 850 OPS than Dunn and his 900 OPS plus pitiful defense.
    OK this really isn't a Dunn vs. Rios argument.

It's deciding the value of Rios and if there is a match with toronto in terms of talent. Both teams are looking for pitching, so I have difficulty seeing a trade working here.

Turn Off Ads?