Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays shopping Alex Rios for a starter

Re: Blue Jays shopping Alex Rios for a starter

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    and yet that dude with the career OPS of .763 is really going to put us over the top in the abscence of of one of the two decent starters the Reds have? I don't buy it.
    The guy with the 2006 OPS higher than Dunn's would help since Dunn is the savior, it seems. But I guess it doesn't matter.

In 3 years he will help more than Arroyo, after WK and Bob start crying about money.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I bet Joey Votto has a better career than Alex Rios. His minor league numbers sure seem to project that.
    Having both would be pretty cool.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I was just responding to your mentioning of Dunn's 4 SB lead over Rios. No mention of OPS.

But I brought this up in another thread...I love the spinning of any posting related to Adam Dunn and, to some extent, Arroyo as well.

Does no one care that Dunn's numbers are sliding? Does no one care that "regression to the mean", one of everyone's favorite sayings on this board, is a great was to describe Arroyo?

Dunn costs MILLIONS more than Rios. I guess that doesn't matter.

Dunn is a sloth in the OF while Rios is a pretty good fielder, at the very least.

Dunn had 40 HRs last year and a SLG of .490. Rios had 17 HRs and a SLG of .516. I guess Rios doesn't need to hit even 20 HRs to match the likes of 40 HR per year hitters.

Let's just try and look at things in a balanced way. My first thought was that Arroyo would be a good match. I didn't bring this into the Dunn realm, but since it happened anyway, I felt that it was my duty to respond.
    Even when Arroyo regresses to the mean, he's still a valuable starter. In the NL, he shouldn't slide much further to the 4.00 ERA level. Even with a year like that he would still have huge value.

If Rios regresses it could get very ugly for him.

The guy with the 2006 OPS higher than Dunn's would help since Dunn is the savior, it seems. But I guess it doesn't matter.

In 3 years he will help more than Arroyo, after WK and Bob start crying about money.
    And after that 3rd year he'll be a FA.

I wasn't the one who brought Dunn into the discussion either.

All I'm saying is that Rios minor league track record doesn't really project to crap and all he's done in the majors is manage to hit .360 for one 2 month stretch early last season. Hey, Clint barmes hit .375 last July, maybe we should trade for him too?
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Man Pills

There are some really bad ideas in this thread.

/thread.

Rios will turn out to be an all-star within 2 years. He won't accomplish it on the Reds roster.

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    /thread.

Rios will turn out to be an all-star within 2 years. He won't accomplish it on the Reds roster.
    I bet he doesn't even OPS .800 in 2007.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I bet he doesn't even OPS .800 in 2007.

I bet Dunn doesn't even avg. 240 in 2007

I'm a little more optimistic about Rios than many on here. I'd offer Lohse and a minor leaguer. I'd probably start with Pelland or Dumatrait but I'd go as high as Wood on the prospect list. No Harang, Arroyo or Bailey.

That would give the Reds some payroll room and make Freel completely expendable.

As tight as the pitching market is, I'm not sure they'll get much more. The Marlins or Cubs could be the most likely to make a better offer. I could see a Rios for Penny deal going down as well.

/thread.

He was an all-star this year.

I would really hesitate to trade Arroyo. Yes, he misses Boston and all that the Red Sox can offer that the Reds can't. A full stadium at each game , an organization that spends money, and actual hope for the playoffs each year. But, two years down the road who's to say the Sox have a place for him? It is presumptious to think he'll play out his contract and just go back to Boston and pitch again. I say keep him. He was one of the Top 10 pitchers in the NL this past season and is now reaching his prime as a pitcher. It's possible that with more time he will grow to like Cincy more and will achieve even greater success as a pitcher. He is a definite Cy Young candidate next year IMO and he most certainly enjoys pitching against the opposing pitcher as opposed to a DH. As long as the Reds are talking a long term deal with Harang, why not at least approach Arroyo about one as well?

This doesn't have anything to do with Dunn. This whole discussion has been based on someone else's argument that the Reds should trade Bronson Arroyo and possibly Joey Votto to get a guy with a lifetime OPS of .763.

Your tossing batting average into the argument just goes to show how overrated it is as an indicator of a players offensive worth as having a good BA the first half of last year is really the only thing Rios has ever done in his professional career. Color me unimpressed with both Rios and most of the "analysis" and "projections" going on in this thread.

Would Rios be a decent pick up for the Reds? Sure. But not at the prices suggested by a lot of folks here.

He was an all-star this year.
    oops. oversight.

was Dunn?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

You may be right about Dunn hitting below a .240 AVG in 2007, but the safe bet is that Dunn out OPS's Rios by a landslide.

oops. oversight.

was Dunn?

Being an all star means exactly squat. the fans vote for all stars and by the analysis being bandied around this thread I'd have to say that that metric, along with batting average, is a poor method of evaluating a players worth.

Turn Off Ads?