Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 109

Thread: Waiting for Craig Wilson...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    1,021

    Waiting for Craig Wilson...

    This seems to be the most obvious deal for Krivsky to make. We need a rh bat in the lineup who can platoon with Hatt and play some outfield when Griffey or Dunn need to rest. Wilson fits the bill very well. What's taking so long Wayne?!?!?!?!

    Or could the plan be to promote Votto early and let him play against lhp?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Waiting for Craig Wilson...

    Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    This seems to be the most obvious deal for Krivsky to make. We need a rh bat in the lineup who can platoon with Hatt and play some outfield when Griffey or Dunn need to rest. Wilson fits the bill very well. What's taking so long Wayne?!?!?!?!

    Or could the plan be to promote Votto early and let him play against lhp?
    If that happens, I would probably take a sabbatical from being a Reds fan. He's a lefty.

  4. #3
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,896

    Re: Waiting for Craig Wilson...

    Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    This seems to be the most obvious deal for Krivsky to make. We need a rh bat in the lineup who can platoon with Hatt and play some outfield when Griffey or Dunn need to rest. Wilson fits the bill very well. What's taking so long Wayne?!?!?!?!

    Or could the plan be to promote Votto early and let him play against lhp?
    If I had to guess, I'd say he's getting a bunch of offers from many suitors, and is therefore in the process of weighing them.

    I seriously doubt the Reds are the highest bidder; and I doubt he'll want to play for what is essentially Pittsburgh Part II.

  5. #4
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: Waiting for Craig Wilson...

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I seriously doubt the Reds are the highest bidder; and I doubt he'll want to play for what is essentially Pittsburgh Part II.
    I thought that was coming out in 2008 While the 07 version is the we are building for 2003 remakes.

  6. #5
    The rest is drama. marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the woods, with a shovel
    Posts
    5,120

    Re: Waiting for Craig Wilson...

    As bad as the Reds may be in 2007, they have not sunk to the level of the Pirates, who no longer even pretend they can see contention in the distance. The Pirates were the first team I rooted for, back in '71, and I still have a certain fondness for them and a bit of sadness at what they've become. Although things look bleak at the moment, I can see the Reds possibly making a couple of moves and competing, and the team has an owner who I believe wants to compete. I can say neither of these things about the Pirates.

  7. #6
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,896

    Re: Waiting for Craig Wilson...

    Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    As bad as the Reds may be in 2007, they have not sunk to the level of the Pirates, who no longer even pretend they can see contention in the distance. The Pirates were the first team I rooted for, back in '71, and I still have a certain fondness for them and a bit of sadness at what they've become. Although things look bleak at the moment, I can see the Reds possibly making a couple of moves and competing, and the team has an owner who I believe wants to compete. I can say neither of these things about the Pirates.
    My point really isn't to say that the Reds are the Pirates, but rather that the last six years could cause a player to see the two franchises as similar. Rightly or wrongly. I don't think players necessarily parse the finer points that distinguish the two franchises. For nearly as long as Craig Wilson's played MLB, the Reds have been a dog of a franchise, and I imagine that's how a guy like Wilson sees them.

  8. #7
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: Waiting for Craig Wilson...

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    My point really isn't to say that the Reds are the Pirates, but rather that the last six years could cause a player to see the two franchises as similar. Rightly or wrongly. I don't think players necessarily parse the finer points that distinguish the two franchises. For nearly as long as Craig Wilson's played MLB, the Reds have been a dog of a franchise, and I imagine that's how a guy like Wilson sees them.
    Good point FCB. Amoung the myrid other considerations a FA might have (money, contract length, role on the team, team location) I think most players would look at a chance to play on the Red Sox/Yankees much differently than say the Rockies, Reds, Pirates, Royals. They are human and if given a choice, I'd think they'd want to be on a team with more glitz and prestige, along with a better chance of being in the post season.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  9. #8
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,036

    Re: Waiting for Craig Wilson...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Good point FCB. Amoung the myrid other considerations a FA might have (money, contract length, role on the team, team location) I think most players would look at a chance to play on the Red Sox/Yankees much differently than say the Rockies, Reds, Pirates, Royals. They are human and if given a choice, I'd think they'd want to be on a team with more glitz and prestige, along with a better chance of being in the post season.
    However, with the Reds being less prestigious, he has less pressure on him to produce and most likely will have a better opportunity at receiving more at-bats. The problem with this being Craig Wilson is that he played for the Pirates for the majority of his career and perhaps has had enough of the little pressure/high at-bat thing. Either way, I hope the Reds can reel him in and Krivsky can do something to significantly improve his team.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    We have pitchers now?!
    Posts
    1,017

    Re: Waiting for Craig Wilson...

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    However, with the Reds being less prestigious, he has less pressure on him to produce and most likely will have a better opportunity at receiving more at-bats. The problem with this being Craig Wilson is that he played for the Pirates for the majority of his career and perhaps has had enough of the little pressure/high at-bat thing. Either way, I hope the Reds can reel him in and Krivsky can do something to significantly improve his team.


    You..asked too much!

    Krivsky do something?! OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!!!! :

  11. #10
    hollywood mid westerner
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    185

    Re: Waiting for Craig Wilson...

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    However, with the Reds being less prestigious, he has less pressure on him to produce and most likely will have a better opportunity at receiving more at-bats. The problem with this being Craig Wilson is that he played for the Pirates for the majority of his career and perhaps has had enough of the little pressure/high at-bat thing. Either way, I hope the Reds can reel him in and Krivsky can do something to significantly improve his team.
    It's a sad state of affair when my beloved Cincinnati Reds are viewed as being in the lower-tier of Major League ballclubs.

  12. #11
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,036

    Re: Waiting for Craig Wilson...

    Quote Originally Posted by Patpacillosjock View Post
    It's a sad state of affair when my beloved Cincinnati Reds are viewed as being in the lower-tier of Major League ballclubs.
    Yup, but that's what happens when your team hasn't been in the playoffs for a decade. I try to look through the rose-colored glasses as much as possible, but it's time for Castellini to put his money where his mouth his. I plan on giving him time, but getting Craig Wilson would make my day. A great Christmas present for any Reds fan

  13. #12
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: Waiting for Craig Wilson...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Good point FCB. Amoung the myrid other considerations a FA might have (money, contract length, role on the team, team location) I think most players would look at a chance to play on the Red Sox/Yankees much differently than say the Rockies, Reds, Pirates, Royals. They are human and if given a choice, I'd think they'd want to be on a team with more glitz and prestige, along with a better chance of being in the post season.
    That is why I think that Krivsky better be watching not only today but the near future. I can see the Reds core being gone for the very reasons you list above, when their contracts give them the chance to leave. Dunn, Freel, Harang, Arroyo, Milton, Lohse and even Griffey. Which will be too much for the poor budget constrained Reds to make up for.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 12-17-2006 at 05:13 PM.

  14. #13
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,619

    Re: Waiting for Craig Wilson...

    Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    This seems to be the most obvious deal for Krivsky to make. We need a rh bat in the lineup who can platoon with Hatt and play some outfield when Griffey or Dunn need to rest. Wilson fits the bill very well. What's taking so long Wayne?!?!?!?!
    It probably isn't about Wayne at this point. I'm guessing Wilson is shopping for a team that is not making promises that include words like "platoon" and "play some".
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  15. #14
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,841

    Re: Waiting for Craig Wilson...

    Wilson will play where the money is greatest, and where he thinks he can play the most (so as to imcrease his valus later on).

    The advantage that Wilson might see in Cincy on a 1 year deal is his ability to hit in GABP and use that to increase his value.

  16. #15
    Ripsnort wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Waiting for Craig Wilson...

    I don't think Wilson should be considered a part time player.

    Wayne should just tell him that he thinks he's got value at two positions and that he plans on maximizing that.

    He could use Ryan Freel as an example.

    There's not a better fit out there if you ask me, and I don't think he'll command much in the way of dough.

    Give him that extra year that other clubs aren't offering, give him a little more than other clubs might be offering, up the incentives....There are ways to get a guy like him, just find out what itch he needs scratched and work that angle.

    Get him to Cincinnati pronto.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25