Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: MNF: Bengals/Colts

Re: MNF: Bengals/Colts

Is it me, or does it seem like the Bengals have problems sticking with what works? Rudy was tearing it up on the first drive. If they hadn't called that stupid time-out to give Indy a chance to review that catch, they probably would have scored. They could have gone old-school Ohio State and just run-run-run and might be in better shape than they are right now. I had a feeling, with Peyton Manning on the other side, that Carson would get pass-happy. He always seems to play poorly (well, poorly for him) when he's trying to force passes instead of taking what the D gives them. The D was giving run, and they keep going pass. Last week he threw 3 picks and each one seemed like he was forcing a pass just because Oakland was playing man-to-man. Maybe someday, he will be able to impose his will on the defense, but not yet.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Is it me, or does it seem like the Bengals have problems sticking with what works? Rudy was tearing it up on the first drive. If they hadn't called that stupid time-out to give Indy a chance to review that catch, they probably would have scored. They could have gone old-school Ohio State and just run-run-run and might be in better shape than they are right now. I had a feeling, with Peyton Manning on the other side, that Carson would get pass-happy. He always seems to play poorly (well, poorly for him) when he's trying to force passes instead of taking what the D gives them. The D was giving run, and they keep going pass. Last week he threw 3 picks and each one seemed like he was forcing a pass just because Oakland was playing man-to-man. Maybe someday, he will be able to impose his will on the defense, but not yet.
    Eh? They are entering the 4th Q and I think Palmer has thrown a dozen times. Forget this one, now we have to go beat Denver and Pittsburgh. Ugh.

The play calling is a joke tonight. They continue to run the ball when they are down 18 in the 4th quarter.

Awful performance. Bad play calling. Bad execution.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Eh? They are entering the 4th Q and I think Palmer has thrown a dozen times. Forget this one, now we have to go beat Denver and Pittsburgh. Ugh.
    Does that count the plays where they got to him before he could throw? The Bengals also only really had one sustained drive in the first half. The other scoring drive they had a short field. Indy has been dominating time of possession since the get-go.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

For the record, I had to stop watching halfway into the 3rd quarter. The in-laws are visiting and the pull-out couch is in the same room with our only TV. I had to leave when they went to bed. Is it as bad as it looks online?

Yep, this one is on the coaches. They chose a really bad strategy. And on top of that, why they called a timeout in that first drive instead of a quick snap was a bad omen. Won't be the first or last time they choose a bad game plan, but it sure does sting during the Peyton Manning love in with ESPN.

The Bengals defense reminds me of the Reds pitching. Neither can stop the opponent.
    I hate the Cubs!!

Oh, now that's nice. The Bengals are getting stomped on the field, so Kornheiser decides to throw a few punches from the booth as well on the off-the-field stuff. OK, now back to how Peyton Manning loves puppies and throw tight spirals, and man isn't he funny and handsome. Oh wait, now back to the criminal element in Cincy. ESPN is cheesier than Kraft macaroni & cheese any day.

Well, I guess I'm glad I'm not watching it then. Probably won't need to save this one on Tivo.

All I know is that playing and coaching scared in big games is usually a recipe for disaster.

This was a disgusting game to watch if you are a Bengals fan.

The Bengals were out-coached tonight, especially on offense. I like Bratkowski and all, but he laid a big egg tonight. It was like the Colts defense knew exactly what was coming almost every play. And if Willie doesn't play the next two games, it's going to be another 8-8 season. Stacy Andrews ought to be cut tomorrow...make that tonight. He couldn't block ME.

I was afraid the offense was going to fall into the trap of watching the Colts defense give up all the rushing yards the last few games and think they were going to be able to show up and run all over them. Like I said last week, whenever a team like the Colts has a bad stretch like they had, and they're coming home for a nationally televised game, it's almost automatic they're going to turn the tide. You could see this one coming a mile away.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Bratkowski is calling this game as if the Bengals are the Bills or the Titans for some ungodly reason.

Do the Colts suck at stopping the run? Yes, but that doesn't mean you suddenly change your entire identity. You've got Chad and TJ going against a secondary missing three key players - a secondary that's average at best even when healthy in fact - and you're trying to pound the ball? Give me a break.

The reason the Bengals offense got going and went on this four-game winning streak is because they finally put their foot on the gas and started playing like they did in 2005. Why stop now just because Jacksonville runs all over Indy? I don't get it.

I've never seen a worse gameplan for a football game. Its evident they fell in love with the running game even when they were down. It's really quite frustraiting because running the football consistently only works to your advantage if your defense can stop the other team from scoring.

Oh well, I think this actually works in the Bengals favor. They absolutely do not play well under any positive media hype. So I guess that translates into a win against Denver?

As I said, I pretty much only saw the first half. At least in that half, it looked like the run was working and that the pass was going nowhere. I think Carson was 2-8 passing to start. Maybe part of it was protection issues, but it looked like part of it was forcing the pass. From what I saw on defense in the first half, it looked like the Bengals were playing their standard rush 4 guys and drop everyone back D, which usually comes out when they have a lead in the 4th quarter.

From what it sounds like in the second half, they must have gone with the run when they should have passed and passed when they should have run.

Did they have anymore news on Big Willie?

Turn Off Ads?