Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: MNF: Bengals/Colts

Re: MNF: Bengals/Colts

Totally agree cyclone.

My $.02
    - Chris Henry has yet to make an aggressive play on a ball all year. He should have caught one and maybe both of those deep balls.
    - Levi Jones is supposedly healthy if you believe Alan Cutler's pregame, and that the Bengals didn't want to disrupt the "line chemistry". I knew Freeney would give Whitworth problems, I just didn't think they would be that bad.
    - The playcalling was bad no adjustments were made at halftime.
    - Why did they call timeout on the first drive? That was never explained. The first drive is supposed to be scripted.
    - The dline was good again, but this teams lack of quality linebacker play was exposed again. Odell Thurman ate that intermediate stuff for breakfast last year, this years group cannot read the play and anticipate short range passing plays. The linebackers cannot get to the quarterback on a blitz, they are physically incapable of doing so.
    - I thought that the secondary was actually pretty good, given the complete lack of pass rush. Did they get a sack tonight, I admit to channel surfing and found a fascinating episode of Dr. 90210 talking about the Gspot.
    - Any updates on Carson and Big Willie?
    - I hate Tony Kornheiser with a passion, I will not watch or listen to any ESPN programming with him on it. I thought maybe they had canned him, and then I watch my first Monday night game and there he is.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 12-19-2006 at 12:22 AM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Despite the lousy offensive gameplan, I still didn't think the Bengals had much chance tonight.

The phrases "Bengals defensive line" and "pressure on the opposing quarterback" are polar opposites. Manning had all day to throw the ball. It was routine; Manning back to pass, scan the field, find the open man, pick up about 10 yards. Repeat.

If an NFL team is unable to apply pressure to the opposing quarterback, much less a guy such as Peyton Manning, they're not giving themselves much of a chance to stop the offense altogether.
    I agree, but the Colts have a good offensive line. It takes more than 4 to get to the QB.

The Bengals blitzed once in the first half. I didn't even care that Manning ran for a first down when it happened, I loved the blitz. It baffles me that they were so conservative. Everytime Manning went back to pass, the LB's and DB's all backed up at least 7 yards. Sorgi could have torched that gameplan.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I agree, but the Colts have a good offensive line. It takes more than 4 to get to the QB.

The Bengals blitzed once in the first half. I didn't even care that Manning ran for a first down when it happened, I loved the blitz. It baffles me that they were so conservative. Everytime Manning went back to pass, the LB's and DB's all backed up at least 7 yards. Sorgi could have torched that gameplan.
    I've been sayin' it for the last two seasons, I just wish the coaching staff would get him in the game.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

You just can't expect a great player like Peyton Manning to beat himself. That was a bad gameplan all the way around.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

You have to blitz Manning constantly. Is he going to beat you deep a couple times? Yes. But I think that is better than getting beat ON EVERY SINGLE FREAKING PLAY.

You have to hit quarterbacks. Why did Carson have a bad game? Because he was RUNNING FOR HIS FREAKING LIFE ON EVERY PASS.

I just can't believe that game plan. Somebody said earlier that it was like the media picked the game plan and I couldn't say it better. That is exactly what it was. We are not a huddle, line up, 3 yards and a cloud of dust team.

Sorry that was just so frustrating. It's been like 3 hours and I'm still pissed.

I think Marvin Lewis outthought himself last night. On offense, he said "Colts run defnse is weak, let's run". So Carson Palmer never gets going. On defense, he said "let's take away the deep stuff". So Peyton Manning hit the short stuff all night. Kinda of like playing a baseball team that hits about 20 consecutive singles. Not to mention they seem to have to count to 3-steamboats before rushing.

Not to mention in the 1st quarter after a questionable reception by Chad, the *Bengals* call timeout. I guess to give the Colts a better look at it. Colts protest, the call gets overturned, Palmer gets sacked and fumbles on the next play, and its off to the races for the Colts. Jeez.

And then the Monday Night guys spend all 4th quarter talking about the Bengals and their arrest record.

Marvin didn't come across as a genius last night.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Calling the time-out on the first drive was huge. Maybe the most important play of the game. So instead of 1st and 10 on the 20, the Bengals were forced to punt. Could have been up 7-0...would have changed a lot of things.

Yes, I've been very disappointed with the coaches (including Marvin) this year.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

This is not quite a playoff-worthy team. A lot of work to do in the off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So Peyton Manning hit the short stuff all night. Kinda of like playing a baseball team that hits about 20 consecutive singles.
    Which, IMO, testifies to just how good of a QB Manning is. He took what the opposition gave him.

I really thought the Bengals had a good shot of winning this game. You go in emphasizing the run with Rudi due to the Colts run defense, which, IMO, would really help your passing game. And with the talented receiving corp the Bengals had I thought they'd win.

You're probably right Roy. They waited to long to go to/establish their passing game, and Palmer/the receivers....looking at some of the passes being off and also dropped... couldn't get in sync.

Bengals have to win next week in Denver.

I'm gonna say they will; but I said that about last night's game, so I'll keep quiet.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The Bengals' running game is not particularly good.

And their defense is still one of the worst I've ever seen.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

The playoff scenarios for next week are out and the Bengals could still clinch a spot next week.

Cincinnati can clinch a playoff berth with:

A win and a Buffalo loss or tie and a N.Y. Jets loss OR
    A win and a Buffalo loss or tie and a Jacksonville loss

They have to play a lot better than last night to have a chance against Denver but it would great to clinch before the Pittsburgh game.

One thing I thought about in the post-mortem was that the game turned when the D held them on 4th down on the Colts first drive, we go right down the field, get just outside the 10, and run the ball three times, once successfully, twice unsuccessfully. We kicked a FG, the Colts march back down the field, game over. The 3rd and 1 running play over Stacy Andrews at the 11 was Bratkowski at his worst and was indicative of the play calling in the slump.

Before the game, I said to myself that they will try to run, run, run, but that it wouldn't work, they need to stay balanced. Apparently no one on the Bengals staff could convince Brat and Marvin of the same. Too bad, keeping a bad D off balance would likely mean lots of points.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    One thing I thought about in the post-mortem was that the game turned when the D held them on 4th down on the Colts first drive, we go right down the field, get just outside the 10, and run the ball three times, once successfully, twice unsuccessfully. We kicked a FG, the Colts march back down the field, game over. The 3rd and 1 running play over Stacy Andrews at the 11 was Bratkowski at his worst and was indicative of the play calling in the slump.

Before the game, I said to myself that they will try to run, run, run, but that it wouldn't work, they need to stay balanced. Apparently no one on the Bengals staff could convince Brat and Marvin of the same. Too bad, keeping a bad D off balance would likely mean lots of points.
    I don't know. Have you seen how other teams have beat the Colts? It wasn't by keeping them off balance, it was by running the ball down their throats, I mean Jacksonville's third stringer tore us up. From someone who obviously is not a Bengal fan, I'd say the biggest problem was not committing to a game plan. I think if they would have just committed to the run in the first half they would have won. It seemed like they ran at all the wrong times. I think they should have run every first down and maybe every second down in the first half.

In the first drive the only ran twice and Rudi fumbled one of those, but they recovered threw the incomplete pass to CJ and then it was 3 and 5 and the Colts new a pass was coming and that's the only good part of the Colts D is when they know you have to pass. So the ran twice for 10 yds in the first drive and on 2nd and 5 they decided to pass. I just think they allowed Peyton to control the game, by not keeping him on the bench for long periods of time with the run. But that's just my opinion.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

And their defense is still one of the worst I've ever seen.
    The Bengals Defense is the Reds Pitching's Football Golem.

The O-lines were the keys to this game. The Bengals couldn't protect Palmer, and the Colts kept Manning's uniform clean.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?