Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coombs resigns from Colerain, joins UC staff

Retired

Coombs resigns from Colerain, joins UC staff

Should help with local recruiting.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/cincybearcats/

Kerry Coombs, who directed Colerain High in suburban Cincinnati to a Division I state championship and four other semifinal appearances, has been added to the University of Cincinnati coaching staff. Coombs will serve as defensive backs coach.
    “We feel very fortunate to have Kerry Coombs joining the University of Cincinnati football program,” stated new UC head coach Brian Kelly. “He brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to our staff. Kerry has a strong presence in Southwest Ohio and throughout the state. We also have a shared philosophy regarding player development.”
    Coombs compiled a 161-34 record in 16 seasons at Colerain. His 2004 team posted a 15-0 record and won the state’s big school title with a 50-10 win over Canton McKinley in the championship game, setting a record for margin of victory. Over the last seven seasons, Colerain has won seven league titles while compiling an 86-8 record.
    Coombs’ 2006 team went 13-1 and reached the state semifinals. Colerain was ranked No. 1 in the final Associated Press Ohio poll and No. 18 in the USA Today national rankings.
    Coombs success at Colerain has emphasized defense, which he personally coached. In 2006, the Cardinals posted six shutouts and yielded just over a touchdown per game.
    Coombs has mentored two of the last three Ohio Division I Defensive Player of the Year award winners, including current UC defensive tackle Terrill Byrd, who also won high school national defensive player of the year honors in 2004.
    Coombs guided Colerain to 10 playoff appearances and seven undefeated regular season records. The Cardinals won the Greater Miami Conference title and advanced to the regional finals of the state playoffs in each of the past seven seasons.
    Coombs was a member of the University of Dayton’s football team that was the NCAA Division III title in 1980. He completed his bachelor’s degree from Dayton in 1983 and later earned his master’s in education from Wright State.
    The Bearcats begin getting ready for their Jan. 6, 2007 game vs. Western Michigan in the International Bowl in Toronto, Ont. Kelly and staff conduct their first practice for the International Bowl on Monday, Dec. 18.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Coombs resigns from Colerain, joins UC staff

Good news for UC football. Hopefully this can boost the in state recruiting efforts. Kelly is moving in the right direction by getting a few local guys on the staff.

Retired

Rumor is Eugene Clifford might decommit from Ohio State and follow Coombs to UC.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Rumor is Eugene Clifford might decommit from Ohio State and follow Coombs to UC.
    That would be a big loss for Ohio State but an even bigger get for UC.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

If Kerry Coombs can do half as good of a job at UC as Jim Coombs has done in anything he has set his mind to, UC will be national champs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

This a great thing for UC football as well as my alma mater, the Moeller Crusaders. Coombs had pretty much single-handedly turned around Colerain and turned them into the powerhouse of the GMC. He will certainly be missed by the Cardinals of Colerain but will be a major addition to the UC football staff.

I know this'll enrage UC fans and accuse me of being an arrogant OSU fan...bu seriously, to decommit from the Bucks and go to UC would not be a wise choice. If you were a legit NFL prospect, why in the world would you pick UC over a school like OSU that has the absolute best equipment, facilities, coaches, trainers...they have NFL scouts who practically live there...PLUS you'll most likely have a chance to play for the national championship while being seen on TV every single weekend.

Also, to decommit--to go back on your word is just not cool.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    I know this'll enrage UC fans and accuse me of being an arrogant OSU fan...bu seriously, to decommit from the Bucks and go to UC would not be a wise choice. If you were a legit NFL prospect, why in the world would you pick UC over a school like OSU that has the absolute best equipment, facilities, coaches, trainers...they have NFL scouts who practically live there...PLUS you'll most likely have a chance to play for the national championship while being seen on TV every single weekend.

You are right, you do sound like an arrogant OSU fan.

You are right, you do sound like an arrogant OSU fan.
    Really? I think it's a legitimate arguement. And it's not just an OSU thing, I'd say the same if he was committed to USC or Texas or Oklahoma. It's just a fact.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Lets see, decommit from a team who puts more DBs in the NFL than anyone and go to UC....or stay put with the team who puts nearly every DB they have in the NFL every year? Coming from a Colerain grad and fan, Eugene would be absolutely stupid to pass up the shot at OSU if he wants to play on Sundays one day.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Lets see, decommit from a team who puts more DBs in the NFL than anyone and go to UC....or stay put with the team who puts nearly every DB they have in the NFL every year? Coming from a Colerain grad and fan, Eugene would be absolutely stupid to pass up the shot at OSU if he wants to play on Sundays one day.
    Blue Adams, Artrell Hawkins, Daven Holly and Robert Tate say hi.

All are UC cornerbacks playing in the NFL.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

That is very true. What round were they drafted in?

My point is, OSU is going to get you a better draft spot, more money, more exposure and probably better coaching.

I am a big UC football fan, so I am not taking a shot at them. They are #2 in my book of teams I like, but it makes little sense to not go to OSU to go to UC.

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    All in the past... He can come into UC and start right away, and get the experience and exposure in a BCS conference. Not advocating renegging on one's word, just saying it could make some sense, especially if he loved his old coach.

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post

FYI max, UC's new varsity village is said to compare with the best in the nation, period. UC is not as low on the totem pole as you may imply, although we both will agree that OSU is on the top.

Call me what you want, but Eugene Clifford is the best at his position in the country. IMO, based purely on football alone, he'd be insane to pass up a chance to go to a DB factory at Ohio State to go to UC. Now there might be other non-football reasons why he'd want to stay closer to home, and I surely understand that. But sticking around purely for Coombs would be folly, IMO.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?