Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Marcus Giles close to joining Padres

Marcus Giles close to joining Padres

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6283264

Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com

The Giles family reunion is on.

Free-agent second baseman Marcus Giles is expected to sign with the Padres early this week, joining his older brother, right fielder Brian Giles, FOXSports.com has learned.

Marcus, 28, likely will agree to a one-year deal and possibly a club option. His salary will be significantly less than the $5.5 million that he might have earned in salary arbitration with the Braves, who declined to offer him a contract.

The short-term deal will give Marcus a chance to re-establish his value as he tries to rebound from his worst offensive season as a regular. It also gives him the opportunity to return home to San Diego and become major-league teammates with Brian, 35, for the first time.

Marcus batted .262 last season with 11 homers and 60 RBIs, struggling after the Braves moved him to the leadoff spot in place of the departed Rafael Furcal. He is a career .285 hitter with an .809 lifetime on-base/slugging percentage, healthy numbers for a second baseman.

Earlier this off-season, the Padres traded second baseman Josh Barfield to the Indians for third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff and right-hander Andrew Brown. They then considered trading for Giles, but instead they will acquire him for a lower salary and without giving up a player.

The signing of Giles will enable the Padres to use Todd Walker in a utility role. Kouzmanoff is expected to platoon at third with Russell Branyan.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Marcus Giles close to joining Padres

Chalk this up as a major win for the Padres. Acquiring a quality second baseman without having to trade anything for him. That Barfield trade lookes a tad better now.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6283264
    Marcus, 28, likely will agree to a one-year deal and possibly a club option. His salary will be significantly less than the $5.5 million that he might have earned in salary arbitration with the Braves, who declined to offer him a contract.

The short-term deal will give Marcus a chance to re-establish his value as he tries to rebound from his worst offensive season as a regular.
    However, if he is looking to re-establish his value why head to Petco? That monstrous ballpark will have his home run totals plummet. At least the Giles family reunion will provide for an interesting subplot for San Diego writers to dwell on.

Dang! I wish we would have passed on Gonzalez and gone after Giles, especially if he's signing for less. He was sweet there for a couple years, he's in his prime, and GABP is the perfect park to regain his former power. That kinda ruins my day.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    However, if he is looking to re-establish his value why head to Petco? That monstrous ballpark will have his home run totals plummet. At least the Giles family reunion will provide for an interesting subplot for San Diego writers to dwell on.
    Maybe Marcus Giles will lead the NL in doubles?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    It's not just that he's being reunited with his brother, he's "going home." He and his brother grew up in La Jolla, a suburb of San Diego, so Marcus is going home. I'm sure that had as big of an impact as his brother playing there did.

I will agree that his agreeing to a 1 year deal with the Pads isn't the best decision for his career. That ballpark will suppress his power and lower most of his numbers. He'll hit F.A. next season with modest offensive numbers and I doubt he gets a big contract from anyone as a result.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Dang! I wish we would have passed on Gonzalez and gone after Giles, especially if he's signing for less. He was sweet there for a couple years, he's in his prime, and GABP is the perfect park to regain his former power. That kinda ruins my day.
    I think that as a free agent every one knew he was headed to one place and that was San Diego. He wanted to be with his brother and I don't think he would give Cincinnati a passing chance. To pass on Alex for the chance at Marcus, would have been very dumb. Krivsky knew that without a trade to Atlanta he wouldn't get Marcus. Plus, if we traded for him, it would likely be on a one-year rental because he is due for free agency after this season.

Krivsky knew that without a trade to Atlanta he wouldn't get Marcus.
    I really don't understand this situation. What do you mean we would have to trade for him? I thought he was a free agent?

Yeah, but it seems pretty evident that Marcus Giles was dead set on going to the Padres. San Diego and be with a contender and his brother or Cincinnati? Money isn't the only determining factor when it comes to landing free agents.
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

Marcus Giles wasn't a free agent at same time the others were. He only became a free agent when he was non-tendered by Atlanta. If the REDS traded with Atlanta they would have picked up Giles' existing contract and then have to go through arbitration.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Marcus Giles wasn't a free agent at same time the others were. He only became a free agent when he was non-tendered by Atlanta. If the REDS traded with Atlanta they would have picked up Giles' existing contract and then have to go through arbitration.
    Thanks for clarifying Nugget.

I'm sure everybody knows this by now, but in case you live in a cave, it's official: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2702954
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Turn Off Ads?