Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonderman re-ups with Tigers

Gary Redus Ruled

Bonderman re-ups with Tigers

per rotoworld:

Tigers agreed to terms with RHP Jeremy Bonderman on a four-year contract through 2010.

The contract buys out Bonderman's first two years of free agency. Terms have yet to be released, but something like $36 million-$40 million seems like a good guess. A healthy Bonderman likely would have commanded $13 million-$15 million per year as a free agent.

So much for any thoughts of him for Dunn
    Hoping for another Reds October

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bonderman re-ups with Tigers

That ought to set the rough market for Harang though. They've got the same amount of service time.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Well I'd like to see Wayne go after another Tigers pitcher, Zach Miner. He pitched well in his rookie year this last season and looks to be an odd man out in the rotation and pen in Detroit.

Roster glue

Miner would be a marginal upgrade, but I'd hate to give up much for him, and the Tigers certainly aren't going to give him away as he will turn 25 just before the start of the season. The short porch in RF at GABP would be alarming as LHB mashed him to the tune of .320/.396/.513.

As someone else mentioned, the Bonderman contract is a good data point for determining the contract we offer Harang. 4-year contracts for pitchers are sometimes firghtening, but to buy out some of the FA time, it may be a necessity. Harang has put up consecutive seasons performing in the top eschelon of SP in the NL, so extra years will likely be what it takes.

I was hoping this wouldn't happen until after Harang was locked up....

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I was hoping this wouldn't happen until after Harang was locked up....
    I think it will be beneficial when it comes to signing Harang. It might even act as a cap for Harang (based on Bonderman being a hotter property, not a better pitcher). I certainly wouldn't complain if the Reds inked Harang to a deal like that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

ESPN breaks it down this way:

Bonderman, who would have been eligible for free agency after the 2008 season, gets $4.5 million in 2007, $8.5 million in 2008 and $12.5 million in each of the following two seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    ESPN breaks it down this way:

Bonderman, who would have been eligible for free agency after the 2008 season, gets $4.5 million in 2007, $8.5 million in 2008 and $12.5 million in each of the following two seasons.
    Wow. Bargain for the Tigers.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Wow. Bargain for the Tigers.
    I think so too, they loaded the backend, that should help.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Krivsky: Here is your guideline. Now git er done.

That takes Bonderman off the market for all you who were hoping Dunn to Detroit was going to net him... I would like to see Harang get a similar deal probably with bigger money is 07 6.5, then 9 then 11 maybe?

Of course, Arroyo signed a long-term before being traded off.

Anybody think there is a chance now that the Reds nd Tigers do the Dunn for Bonderman deal?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I think it will be beneficial when it comes to signing Harang. It might even act as a cap for Harang (based on Bonderman being a hotter property, not a better pitcher). I certainly wouldn't complain if the Reds inked Harang to a deal like that.
    Except Bonderman is on a good team and probably wouldn't need a premium to get him to stay. Any Reds property that is desirable will probably want that premium.

If I'm a Tigers fan (and admittedly I am somewhat) I am quite pleased with this. It sure looks good compared to Lilly at 40/4.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?