Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Merged: Really Disappointed / Krivsky, Ownership not as-advertised?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Merged: Really Disappointed / Krivsky, Ownership not as-advertised?

It is a major disappointment that the Reds are real close to being a contender and yet they are doing absolutely nothing but sitting on their hands. I know that some of you are thrilled about their inactivity...but I don't know how. I kind of liked the Gonzalez signing, and was pretty blah about the Stanton signing. But that was no time to quit! Several helpful players have slipped away without the reds seeming to have made much effort. I would still like to see them sign Craig Wilson and go after a decent #3 pitcher...like Jake Westbrook. (Even a Tony Armas would be better tan nothing. It would at least indicate some effort). I would also love to see the Reds at least explore the possibility of trading for Rios. (But not at the expense of Homer Bailey! Any other package of pitching prospects would be fine). What did Krivsky mean when he said, "Stay tuned?" was he just trying to torment us?

Re: Really Disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    It is a major disappointment that the Reds are real close to being a contender and yet they are doing absolutely nothing but sitting on their hands. I know that some of you are thrilled about their inactivity...but I don't know how. I kind of liked the Gonzalez signing, and was pretty blah about the Stanton signing. But that was no time to quit! Several helpful players have slipped away without the reds seeming to have made much effort. I would still like to see them sign Craig Wilson and go after a decent #3 pitcher...like Jake Westbrook. (Even a Tony Armas would be better tan nothing. It would at least indicate some effort). I would also love to see the Reds at least explore the possibility of trading for Rios. (But not at the expense of Homer Bailey! Any other package of pitching prospects would be fine). What did Krivsky mean when he said, "Stay tuned?" was he just trying to torment us?

Its only December. Judging on Krivskys past albeit a short one, I seriously doubt that this is the final product that we will see on opening day.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 12-18-2006 at 11:26 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Given what players are getting on the market, I think Wayne has shifted his attention to making a trade to help the team. Probably a pretty wise move if that is his thinking. We'll see where Zito ends up, but there just hasn't been anybody that I think is worth the money they've been given.

Hopefully, Wayne makes a trade that will help the team, instead of just making one for the sake of making one.
    I hate the Cubs!!

Quote Originally Posted by snowstorm View Post
    Given what players are getting on the market, I think Wayne has shifted his attention to making a trade to help the team. Probably a pretty wise move if that is his thinking. We'll see where Zito ends up, but there just hasn't been anybody that I think is worth the money they've been given.

Hopefully, Wayne makes a trade that will help the team, instead of just making one for the sake of making one.
    Do you really have any hope that the Reds are players for Zito?

what is all this man love for tony armas, i just don't get it. he is not a good pitcher anymore so let's move on to someone else.

Do you really have any hope that the Reds are players for Zito?
    Not really, but you never know. That would be a nice Christmas gift.
    I hate the Cubs!!

The Reds aren't close to contending and giving out bad contracts to mediocre players only harms the longterm future of the club.

It is a major disappointment that the Reds are real close to being a contender...
    I've got to disagree that the Reds are close to being a contender. It has been pointed out here many times since the season ended, but they were very fortunate to have the record they did. They were much closer to a 74-88 team than they were to a 88-74 team. I think they'll put a worse team on the field for Opening Day 2007 than they did last year, so 70-72 wins is not out of the question. That will put them 20+ games out of first. I really don't think WK can make enough moves to make up that deficit.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer. Just callin' it like I see it.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I'm glad Special K and Mr. C have "done nothing" this off season...have yo useen some of the stupid contracts going round? sure we have spent some money on older pitchers which I am not really against but some on the board are...all in all, I think Special K will wait till Spring or close to it to make any deals...he wants all the leverage of any deal to be in his.

Or at least I hope he does.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    I'm glad Special K and Mr. C have "done nothing" this off season...have yo useen some of the stupid contracts going round? sure we have spent some money on older pitchers which I am not really against but some on the board are...all in all, I think Special K will wait till Spring or close to it to make any deals...he wants all the leverage of any deal to be in his.

I'm as glad as anyone that Krivsky has laid off the players that have already signed overpriced deals, but the fact remains that the team is staring down the barrell of a bad negative run-differential this upcoming season.

Productivity has to come from somewhere -- a byproduct of losing so much offense in the Kearns/Lopez trade. Eventually, Krivsky is going to have to go make a move for another bat or two.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm as glad as anyone that Krivsky has laid off the players that have already signed overpriced deals, but the fact remains that the team is staring down the barrell of a bad negative run-differential this upcoming season.

Productivity has to come from somewhere -- a byproduct of losing so much offense in the Kearns/Lopez trade. Eventually, Krivsky is going to have to go make a move for another bat or two.
    I totally agree with you on the first part. I think Krivsky is smart not to saddle the Reds with another overpriced contract or two. But I don't buy the argument that by trading Kearns and Lopez that the Reds lost that much offense. When the Reds made the trade on July 13 they were 46-44 and were -13 in run differential. On August 24 they were 66-60 and were -9 in run differential. They were also tied for 1st. This is a month and a half after the trade happened. Not only were the Reds not doing worse without Kearns and Lopez they were doing better. At least the numbers say so. What killed the Reds' season was what happened after August 24. They lost 9 out of the next 10 games. Team wide slump and the season's over. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post

Some of the best deals are the ones that aren't made...

I'd much rather have money burning in the pocket than give out a rediculous contract to eric milton... oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh View Post
    I'd much rather have money burning in the pocket than give out a rediculous contract to eric milton... oh wait...
    The Reds would never be that stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh View Post
    Some of the best deals are the ones that aren't made...

Agreed...remember that Special K was left with that one when he walked in the door.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

double post sorry
    Last edited by forfreelin04; 12-19-2006 at 04:22 AM. Reason: double post

Turn Off Ads?