Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bats & Reds Extend Affiliation/Coaching staff remains intact

Bats & Reds Extend Affiliation/Coaching staff remains intact

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...=.jsp&sid=t416

Reds Extend Affiliation with Bats through 2010 season
    Coaching staff remains intact for 2007

Louisville, KY - The Louisville Bats have extended their Player Development Contract (PDC) with the Cincinnati Reds through 2010. This extends the previous agreement which was set to expire following the 2008 baseball season. Louisville will also return Rick Sweet and his entire Bats coaching staff for the 2007 season.

"We are very pleased about the extension of our affiliation with Louisville. Our relationship with the Bats organization has been outstanding and we look forward to having them as an integral part of the Reds family for years to come," said Reds Assistant Director of Player Development Grant Griesser. "We are also excited about returning a field staff with as much experience and knowledge as this one has. Rick Sweet does a great job not only managing games, but also handling veteran Triple-A players as well as young up and coming prospects."

The 2007 season will mark the Bats eighth season as the Triple-A affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds, as well as the eighth season of play at Louisville Slugger Field. Louisville Slugger Field will celebrate its five millionth fan through the gates during the 2007 season and will host the Meijer Triple-A All-Star Game in 2008.

"We have a tremendous relationship with the Reds and hope to be their Triple-A affiliate for many years to come," added Bats President Gary Ulmer.

Sweet, 54, is 141-146 in two seasons as the Bats skipper and is in fifth place on Louisville's career managerial list. Following a nine-year playing career (1975-83) as a catcher, including three seasons in the Majors with San Diego, New York-NL and Seattle, Sweet began managing in 1987 and owns a career mark of 1,190-1,201 in 18 seasons.

Adrian "Smokey" Garrett returns for his fifth consecutive season as Louisville's hitting coach. Garrett played 19 years of professional baseball (1961-79), including parts of eight seasons in the Majors with Atlanta, Chicago-NL, Oakland and California.

Former Redbird Ted Power returns for his second season as Louisville's pitching coach. He began the 2006 season as the Reds pitching rehabilitation coordinator, but took over for Mario Soto as Bats pitching coach last May. Power enjoyed a 13-year Major League career, including five seasons (1983-87) with Cincinnati.

Louisville native Jay Sorg will return for his third season as the team's first base coach to round out Sweet's coaching staff. Chris Lapole returns as head trainer for his third season in Louisville and ninth in the Reds organization. Gabriel Moreno is the only newcomer as he joins the Bats staff as strength and conditioning coach for 2007.

Louisville will begin the 2007 campaign on Thursday, April 5 against the defending International League champion Toledo Mud Hens at 7:05 p.m. at Louisville Slugger Field. Season tickets are available now by calling the Bats office at (502) 212-2287 or visiting www.batsbaseball.com on the web.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Bats & Reds Extend Affiliation/Coaching staff remains intact

Looks like the Reds aren't looking to move to Columbus. I guess they figure they would rather monopolize the Kentucky market than try to win back some fans in Columbus. I'm not against that action, but I think it would be cool if the Reds were to revert back into the most popular baseball team in Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Looks like the Reds aren't looking to move to Columbus. I guess they figure they would rather monopolize the Kentucky market than try to win back some fans in Columbus. I'm not against that action, but I think it would be cool if the Reds were to revert back into the most popular baseball team in Ohio.
    Reds haven't dealt with Columbus since they owned and sold it in the 30's. They prefer to squeeze the fans from elsewhere.

The Nationals tied up the Columbus franchise a few weeks ago.

As a Kentuckian, I really consider this great news. It makes Bats games more interesting and helps to keep this Reds Country. It was frustrating in the 80s and 90s to have so many Cardinals fans around (nothing against Cardinals fans, BTW), and the local news focused on the Cardinals rather than the Reds. On the other hand, I feel your pain, Edd.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yeah, but it was a 2-yr deal that corresponds a new ballpark opening. The Clippers want to deal with a "local" team (Indians or Reds).

I'm personally disappointed. I think Columbus would be an excellent choice as a AAA team. (I know Joseph, start sending me the hate mail )

It's all an AAA domino. Should be interesting in 2009.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Let the big-league team win enough games, and popularity won't depend on where the AAA franchise is; let the big-league team lose enough games and it likewise won't matter where the AAA team is.

I admit I've always lived closed to Cincy & not near a AAA team so perhaps I'm oversimplifying things and/or underestimate the atraction of a minor league team, but it seems to me that the Reds W/L record will attract more fans than the location of a minor league team

Reds haven't dealt with Columbus since they owned and sold it in the 30's. They prefer to squeeze the fans from elsewhere.

That's what I was figuring. I know the Reds hadn't dealt with Columbus in particular for a long time, but with Yankees moving out, I figured that the Reds could make a run for the Columbus franchise in '08. I'm sure the Columbus people would rather have the Reds than the Nationals being that there are more Reds fans in Columbus than Nationals fans (I would sure hope so at least).

However, I see the merit in dominating another market. Furthermore, I also believe that if the big team starts playing well than having fans in Columbus won't be a problem. But having the AAA affiliate in Columbus would allow for the Reds to have another bond with the area. I do believe it is also good to have control of the Kentucky market though. I would sure hope that the Reds' business people did their homework and saw that the potential consumer base in KY would be better than the additional fans we could gain in moving to Columbus.

But having the AAA affiliate in Columbus would allow for the Reds to have another bond with the area.
    Mostly because of the proximity of the parent team. San Diego is the Portland Beavers parent club, I forget that about 3-4 times a year due to the distance and the inability to connect many of the fringe roster types on the Padres.

Mostly because of the proximity of the parent team. San Diego is the Portland Beavers parent club, I forget that about 3-4 times a year due to the distance and the inability to connect many of the fringe roster types on the Padres.
    Beavers and Padres just don't seem to "mix" ....

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

If I were the Reds, I would look at the relevant population numbers and determine where I wanted to strengthen my ties accordingly. Nothing against Louisville, but Columbus is the biggest city in the state by far and growing. It would be very hard for me to pass up that opportunity if I were the owner of the team.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

So due to the close proximity of Cincinnati and Columbus wouldn't it make sense to have an affiliate in Columbus? And as Yachtzee has just stated, Columbus is a more populated area. Furthermore, the Reds already do "Columbus days" where people from Columbus get discounted tickets. I am not overly disappointed with the Reds having an affiliate in Louisville. Don't get me wrong Louisville is an inherently good baseball town due to the Louisville Slugger museum but having an affiliate in Columbus wouldn't be bad either. I think the Reds could do a much better of making an attachment between Columbus and Cincinnati than San Diego has done with Portland.

Ex-Tree

I grew up in Louisville, so I consider this excellent news. My father-in-law has been an usher for the Bats for the past three seasons, so I get great seats when I'm in town.

It's true that Columbus is bigger than Louisville, but Louisville has about 1.2 million in the metro area--so it's not exactly Walton's Mountain.
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Argos View Post
    I grew up in Louisville, so I consider this excellent news. My father-in-law has been an usher for the Bats for the past three seasons, so I get great seats when I'm in town.

It's true that Columbus is bigger than Louisville, but Louisville has about 1.2 million in the metro area--so it's not exactly Walton's Mountain.
    The Bats are also the only pro sports team in town.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Ex-Tree

Some might argue that UL Basketball is a pro team!
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

So due to the close proximity of Cincinnati and Columbus wouldn't it make sense to have an affiliate in Columbus? And as Yachtzee has just stated, Columbus is a more populated area. Furthermore, the Reds already do "Columbus days" where people from Columbus get discounted tickets. I am not overly disappointed with the Reds having an affiliate in Louisville. Don't get me wrong Louisville is an inherently good baseball town due to the Louisville Slugger museum but having an affiliate in Columbus wouldn't be bad either. I think the Reds could do a much better of making an attachment between Columbus and Cincinnati than San Diego has done with Portland.
    I think that the market south extends further and has less competition, in Columbus you have the Pirates/Indians/OSU/MSL/NHL/NBA all sorts of competing dollars. By entrenching themselves in Louisville (or in other cases Nashville and Indy) that extends the Reds market a bit without bumping directly into the path of another MLB team. My take is that the Reds want to attack the markets that they know they have a better chance of controlling, feeling that certain areas will tag along. One has to admit that Marge let the Indians take the mid state fence sitters in the 90's.

Turn Off Ads?