Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bats & Reds Extend Affiliation/Coaching staff remains intact

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Bats & Reds Extend Affiliation/Coaching staff remains intact

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I think that the market south extends further and has less competition, in Columbus you have the Pirates/Indians/OSU/MSL/NHL/NBA all sorts of competing dollars. By entrenching themselves in Louisville (or in other cases Nashville and Indy) that extends the Reds market a bit without bumping directly into the path of another MLB team. My take is that the Reds want to attack the markets that they know they have a better chance of controlling, feeling that certain areas will tag along. One has to admit that Marge let the Indians take the mid state fence sitters in the 90's.
    On second thought, I think it is probably good to entrench ourselves in Louisville. Louisville is the largest city in Kentucky and is also a good baseball destination. It also helps connect Chattanooga to the Reds easier. With the Bats and Lookouts, the Reds have a pretty good influence in Kentucky and Tennessee.

That being said, I wish the Reds would have some success, not only for obvious reasons but also so that the Reds can become Ohio's team. I guess from a marketing standpoint, it's smarter to get fans in the south rather than having to compete with the ones in Columbus.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    On second thought, I think it is probably good to entrench ourselves in Louisville. Louisville is the largest city in Kentucky and is also a good baseball destination. It also helps connect Chattanooga to the Reds easier. With the Bats and Lookouts, the Reds have a pretty good influence in Kentucky and Tennessee.

That being said, I wish the Reds would have some success, not only for obvious reasons but also so that the Reds can become Ohio's team. I guess from a marketing standpoint, it's smarter to get fans in the south rather than having to compete with the ones in Columbus.
    Talking to woy can change your mind on a lot of things.....

I still like the AAA in Columbus....but it's selfish, rather than practical.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    The Bats are also the only pro sports team in town.
    The NBA has a fascination with Louisville. It was the runner-up to Oklahoma City in landing the temporary home of the Hornets. Everytime the NBA expands, Louisville gets mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    The NBA has a fascination with Louisville. It was the runner-up to Oklahoma City in landing the temporary home of the Hornets. Everytime the NBA expands, Louisville gets mentioned.
    Wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Wonder why?

I was more of a Rick Barry guy myself........

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I was more of a Rick Barry guy myself........
    I met Jon? when he was a punk brat kid.

Ex-Tree

Wendell Ladner? What, no Louie Dampier cheesecake shots?
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

I think you really have to look at demographic trends in relation to geography before deciding where to focus your marketing. Which cities are growing and which cities are declining? I've never been to Louisville, so I don't know if it's a growing city or a declining city. Columbus appears to be the Borg, assimilitating so much farmland to be turned into corporate campuses and housing developments, and has no natural boundaries to limit its growth. In the next 10-15 years you may see a lot more of that growth along I-71. Reaching out to Columbus may make more sense, even if you experience more competition.

I don't know, but it seems like if Cleveland moves its AAA team into Columbus, it might really hurt Cincinnati's ticket sales more than someone else having the AAA team in Louisville. Of course the same thing could be said for Cleveland. Maybe it's best if they just keep it neutral territory, but if I'm Cleveland, I'm licking my chops over that AAA franchise in Columbus.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Power enjoyed a 13-year Major League career, including five seasons (1983-87) with Cincinnati.
    Off the main point of the thread, but Power pitched for the Reds in 1991, as well.

Remember his starting Game 2 (?) of the 1990 NLCS for the Pirates against the Reds?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Turn Off Ads?