Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would the Reds be smart to save the bank for Carlos Zambrano?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he may be the best free agent pitcher to come out in a long time.

32 32.99%
  • No, the game of baseball is way too uncertain for the Reds to hope for the shot at Zambrano.

54 55.67%
  • I dunno?

11 11.34%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Save the dough for Zambrano?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Save the dough for Zambrano?

I was looking at an ESPN article today and saw that Carlos Zambrano in their eyes, has a roughly 50/50 shot of returning to the Cubs next year. My question to the wise minds of the Old Red Guard is: Would it be wise to stay out of the mayhem that is the '06 off-season and save money for Carlos Zambrano?

I would really hope that this would be Krivsky's master plan. In '08, Krivsky has Aaron Harang who is a top-of-the-rotation kind of guy, and also an ace according to some standards. Furthermore, the Reds will have Bronson Arroyo pitching in his contract year. Bronson would surely lay it all on the line for a fat new free agent contract or a plane ticket up to Boston. That being said, if Krivsky could somehow reign in Zambrano, the Reds would have three top of the rotation pitchers along with a major league ready Homer Bailey.

This would be enough in my mind for a pennant chase. The Reds would undoubtely have the best rotation in the Central and perhaps all of the National League. However, as we all know, a lot can change in one year in baseball. As many have previously stated, '07 is not going to be our year. My question is Would it be wise for Krivsky to hold off for a shot at Carlos Zambrano for '08?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Save the dough for Zambrano?

RJ comes off the books next year in NY...I seriously doubt Cincy has the goods to bid on Zambrano.

Would it be wise for Krivsky to hold off for a shot at Carlos Zambrano for '08?
    Wait for the Prom, miss the Dance.

I would say that with what's left in this year's F.A. class, you don't really have a shot at spending too much money this offseason. As for saving it for Zambrano? He's going to have a lot of mileage on that arm at this time next year. He is a risk, IMO. I still think he's a better risk than anyone in this year's class, but he is still a risk.

So my opinion is that the Reds should hold their cash this season, not neccessarily because I don't want them spending money this year, but because there's no one I want them to spend the money on.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Umm.. and when was the last time the Reds landed a big name Free Agent?

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Umm.. and when was the last time the Reds landed a big name Free Agent?

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    And how has that worked out?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Is it ironic that that is not a big fish?

I'll have to consult Alanis Morissette
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    He's going to have a lot of mileage on that arm at this time next year.
    i agree with the mileage on his arm...even though dusty's gone, the guy likes to pitch and it's going to be hard for lou to get him out of there...

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I was looking at an ESPN article today and saw that Carlos Zambrano in their eyes, has a roughly 50/50 shot of returning to the Cubs next year. My question to the wise minds of the Old Red Guard is: Would it be wise to stay out of the mayhem that is the '06 off-season and save money for Carlos Zambrano?
    Based upon this years prices, I'm guessing that the bidding for Zambrano next year will be astronomical, if he gets through the year with no arm troubles. Will the Reds be able to afford 4 yr, $65-70 million? He'll be 27 years old, and will have been the Cubs ace for 4 years by then, even with the likes of oft-injured Wood and Prior on the staff.

I hope they can afford that, because you know Boston, NY Mets and Yanks, and the Dodgers are all going to want him to.

You're right, that'd be a great rotation.

Might look just as good with Harang, Arroyo and Bailey as 1-2-3.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Is it ironic that that is not a big fish?

I'll have to consult Alanis Morissette
    It's more like rain on your wedding day than ironic I'd think.

On a side note, the innumerable times I've yelled "you throw like a fish" at the television while Milton was pitching the last couple of years now makes more sense...

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Wait for the Prom, miss the Dance.
    I guess I am just dreaming. I just would like to see Castellini/Krivsky put themselves out there and do all in their power to reel in Zambrano. I still like to have World Series dreams and I think if Castellini and Krivsky want Zambrano they should overpay for him. He's one of those guys you pay the amount that he wants. '08 seems to be a great year to shoot for and I was wishing that maybe the Reds could pull it off. But the realists are probably correct.

Man Pills

Right. Cause Reds' ownership is known for saving money for a rainy day splurge on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Right. Cause Reds' ownership is known for saving money for a rainy day splurge on the market.

What makes you believe that BCast will run the Reds the same as Carl and Marge did? If anything, Castellini is running the Reds based upon the Cardinals "business plan" per se and the splurged on Jim Edmonds and took on the imminent big contract of Mark McGwire. If Mr. Castellini wants to be like the Cardinals then he should man up and send shockwaves throughout the baseball world and give Zambrano what he wants.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    What makes you believe that BCast will run the Reds the same as Carl and Marge did? .
    Because besides pumping up the advertising department, BCast is showing himself as cut from the very same cloth as Lindner. Things could change, but I wouldn't count on it.

If the Reds are going to succeed, it's once again going to be up to the GM in charge, not ownership's pocketbook.

Turn Off Ads?