Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? for the board on Willie Greene

? for the board on Willie Greene

I am a young'n (turned 16 a few months ago). Willie Greene was always my favorite player growing up and then he vanished off of the face of the earth. What happened to him? I was reading the thread on dissapointing players and his name consistantly came up. Was he that highly regarded? thanks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ? for the board on Willie Greene

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanatic View Post
    I am a young'n (turned 16 a few months ago). Willie Greene was always my favorite player growing up and then he vanished off of the face of the earth. What happened to him? I was reading the thread on dissapointing players and his name consistantly came up. Was he that highly regarded? thanks
    Willie had a quick bat, power and on base skills and could have been more then he was. Word was he just didn't care about the game and instead of fighting for it he let it slide after his stint as a Cub.

Some guys aren't built for the game outside of the lines or past a certain age, or bank account goal.

He was highly regarded coming up in the organization but never could put it together at the major league level. Had a couple of decent seasons for the Reds but in his seasons with Toronto and Chicago he never hit over .204. Traded from the Reds to Baltimore for Jeffrey Hammonds in August 1998 and batted .150 for them. Don't know whats happened to him since 2000 however.

Willie was one of those players that could hit the fastball, but had lots of trouble with off speed stuff and the breaking ball. Knowing that the AL is a breaking ball league, he was not successful over there. I also agree that he never had the desire to work at his game to become great. He wasted his talent. It's sad.

Willie Greene pisses me off. i got attention from scouts, but couldn't capitalize on it because i have poor genetics (my shoulder is a mess and my knees are worse). i hate to see talent like that (i think Greene would be a HOFer if he had Adam Dunn-like commitment) wasted by caring moor about his bank account than anything else. i put Pokey Reese in the same sad category.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Found some pretty funny articles regarding the infamous Willie Greene. IIRC his years after being traded were injury riddled with many minor injuries.

This one was from right after he was traded to the Orioles from the Reds.

Greene: No plans to replace Ripken by Kevin Seifert ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Willie Greene took Jeffrey Hammonds number, yet the question he couldnt avoid yesterday was about taking the place of Cal Ripken.

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg- View Post
    Found some pretty funny articles regarding the infamous Willie Greene. IIRC his years after being traded were injury riddled with many minor injuries.

This one was from right after he was traded to the Orioles from the Reds.
    i searched some articles top after my origianl post. seems Willie had more in common with Pokey Reese than Cal Ripken or even Leo Gomez.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Willie Greene and Brian Greene have combined to pub;lish a book on string theory and quarks. Greene credits his new found interest in physics to discussions he had in the bullpen with Andy MacGaffigan and a late career inspiration from Randy Milligan

hollywood mid westerner

I always thought Willie and Jeff Branson were the future for the Reds back in the early nineties...

friggin jeff branson..thats another player I should have put in the "most frustrating" thread..

another excellent coup as a first round pick

another excellent coup as a first round pick
    by the Pirates

not jeff branson

Whenever I think of dear ole Willie I think of his arm at third...a real Nuke LaLoosh special. Plenty of speed but not too much accuracy. We used to sit right behind first base at Riverfront and we were constantly in fear of being pegged in the head by an errant throw from Willie to first.

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    not jeff branson
    Branson was a second round pick IIRC.

First pick for the Reds that draft though

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I too thought Willie would be a star. I would make a point to cathc the Reds AAA team when they came to Buffalo to see him play and take batting practice. Incredibly quick bat and the ball just jumped off his bat. He actually played a few games at SS in AAA IIRC.

he had the tools, just not the desire to use them.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Turn Off Ads?