Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on some language...

Thoughts on some language...

I've been driven nuts by the name of Dayton's ball field, "Fifth Third Field." OK: is it fifth OR third? And fifth or third what? Street? Avenue? Banana? Is it at the intersection of fifth and third? If so then the name should be "Fifth and Third Field." It would cue out-of-towners that that's what it is. And talk about an unsexy name for a venue: two numerical descriptions of something unknown.

It reminds me of "Ruth's Chris Steakhouse." Is "Chris" a kind of steak or steakhouse? Or does Ruth own Chris? I think the name was created just to get the attention of someone like me. First time I saw one, a had to pull over and muse on the nonsensical name.

It truly is the offseason.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Thoughts on some language...

Fifth Third is a local bank in the Cincinnati-Dayton Area. I can understand the confusion of an out-of-towner such as yourself, but I would hope that most residents of Dayton and people attending the Dragons' games would understand the Fifth Third thing.

Understood--but the question remains: why did the bank name itself that? What is being referred to?

That might answer a question or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Understood--but the question remains: why did the bank name itself that? What is being referred to?
    Wikipedia knows all (usually.)

Fifth Third's unusual name is the result of the June 1, 1908 merger of two banks, The Fifth National Bank and The Third National Bank, to become The Fifth Third National Bank of Cincinnati.[3] Because the merger took place during a period when prohibitionist ideas were gaining popularity, it was believed that "Fifth Third" was better than "Third Fifth," which could be construed as a reference to "three fifths" of alcohol.[4] The name went through several changes over the years, until on March 24, 1969, the name was changed to Fifth Third Bank. [3]

Thanks! But no "and" in the name--I guess we dont have time for conjunctions in our society...

Wikipedia knows all (usually.)

Fifth Third's unusual name is the result of the June 1, 1908 merger of two banks, The Fifth National Bank and The Third National Bank, to become The Fifth Third National Bank of Cincinnati.[3] Because the merger took place during a period when prohibitionist ideas were gaining popularity, it was believed that "Fifth Third" was better than "Third Fifth," which could be construed as a reference to "three fifths" of alcohol.[4] The name went through several changes over the years, until on March 24, 1969, the name was changed to Fifth Third Bank. [3]
    That reminds me of the old Bob & Ray sketch of someone interviewing the old-time newspaper guy who worked for the something like the Minneapolis News Herald Star Tribune Gazette (or some such long paper name". The interviewer after hearing it replied, "Oh yeah, that was a big merger".

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    It reminds me of "Ruth's Chris Steakhouse." Is "Chris" a kind of steak or steakhouse? Or does Ruth own Chris? I think the name was created just to get the attention of someone like me. First time I saw one, a had to pull over and muse on the nonsensical name.
    Again, Wiki knows all...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth's_Chris_Steakhouse

The chain was founded by Ruth Fertel, a single mother of two, in 1965, after she bought the existing Chris Steak House in New Orleans. In buying the restaurant, Fertel had to agree that the restaurant keep the "Chris" name for a specified period of time. After the original location sustained a kitchen fire, she relocated the restaurant about 1/2 mile (1 km) to the west on Broad Street and renamed the rebuilt establishment "Ruth's Chris" (under her purchase agreement, the name Chris Steak House could not be used at any other location, and she did not want to lose customers already familiar with the Chris name).

Fertel started to franchise the restaurant in the 1970s. By the time Fertel was legally allowed to take Chris out of the name, the chain (and its unique name) had become famous in many places across the country, and she therefore decided to keep the name.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Just how far from out of town are people travelling? 5/3 is not some corner Building and Loan- it's at least well enough known in the region.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Just how far from out of town are people travelling? 5/3 is not some corner Building and Loan- it's at least well enough known in the region.
    Today, Fifth Third operates 19 affiliates with over 1,100 full-service locations primarily in the Midwest and Florida. Fifth Third is located in these states:

https://www.53.com/wps/portal/!ut/p/...ions+We+Serve/
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Johnny Bench used to tell me growing up that Fifth/Third Bank was the only bank I'd ever need.

So, far he's right. I've had a 5/3 checking account since college.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

How many other 5/3 fields are there? I'm pretty sure Toledo is 5/3 also.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Again, Wiki knows all...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth's_Chris_Steakhouse

The chain was founded by Ruth Fertel, a single mother of two, in 1965, after she bought the existing Chris Steak House in New Orleans. In buying the restaurant, Fertel had to agree that the restaurant keep the "Chris" name for a specified period of time. After the original location sustained a kitchen fire, she relocated the restaurant about 1/2 mile (1 km) to the west on Broad Street and renamed the rebuilt establishment "Ruth's Chris" (under her purchase agreement, the name Chris Steak House could not be used at any other location, and she did not want to lose customers already familiar with the Chris name).

Fertel started to franchise the restaurant in the 1970s. By the time Fertel was legally allowed to take Chris out of the name, the chain (and its unique name) had become famous in many places across the country, and she therefore decided to keep the name.
    I don't mean to be contrarian but I've got two issues with Wiki here:

1) Wouldn't the original name have been Chris' (as opposed to just Chris) Steakhouse with Chris being in the possessive? It's like saying Fred Diner or Macy Department Store. We again arrive at the question as to whether "Chris" is a kind of steak. If this is just an issue of Bayou illiteracy, they need to get some learnin'.

2) I have never heard of a selling party insisting that the buyer keep a name. I've heard of a seller insisting that a name not be used, as the seller might use it in business at another time, or to protect reputation, etc.. But why would a party who has no interest in a business care what name another owner uses?

Fishy.

Also, I intend to open a trading firm called Second Sixteenth--I hope that name engenders financial confidence and that you all will do business with us. PM me if you want to transfer your securities.
    Last edited by Wheelhouse; 12-20-2006 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    How many other 5/3 fields are there? I'm pretty sure Toledo is 5/3 also.
    It is. West Michigan, the Tigers low A club, also plays in 5/3. On a side rant, 5/3's customer service really has gone to crap over the past 5 years or so. I finally got fed up and switched banks a year or two ago it's gotten so bad.

Turn Off Ads?