Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Music question: Should the sins of the children be visited upon the parents?

Re: Music question: Should the sins of the children be visited upon the parents?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Another example of quick-turnaround culture-churn: Green Day and Blink 182 used to be the snot-nosed punks ruining rock music. Now their old stuff seems like classic rock compared to Good Charlotte, etc.
    Good point, I picked out Circle Jerks because they're the ur-snot punk outfit, but Green Day and Blink 182 clearly threw open the doors for what we've been subjected to over the past decade.

I don't think it's a matter of everything older being better, but I'd say a fairly common characteristic of good music is that it puts a new slant on things instead of trying to recycle something that's already been done, even if you don't bust a genre. Green Day and Blink 182 certainly aren't revolutionaries, but they're not complete redunancies either.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Music question: Should the sins of the children be visited upon the parents?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't think it's a matter of everything older being better, but I'd say a fairly common characteristic of good music is that it puts a new slant on things instead of trying to recycle something that's already been done, even if you don't bust a genre. Green Day and Blink 182 certainly aren't revolutionaries, but they're not complete redunancies either.
    As the music industry has become more and more of an economic force, they play some role in "pushing" a trend. For example, the Seatle Sound or grunge or whatever you want to call it. A few actually tallented bands come out, and then the record lables who smell profits are suddenly pushing any band that sounds remotley like the orginal bands into the spotlight. Suddenly what was a new, fresh and interesting music form/genre becomes watered down, talentless crap.

I don't have any problems with wanting to make profits, but the music "industry" is more concerned with money and artistry when it comes right down to it.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 12-20-2006 at 04:11 PM.

Okay, lets just say this now...

As bands like Husker Du, MBV (Loveless is a friggen great CD), The Great Fire of 1666/Biology/Interpol/Sonic Youth...come out and make new music bands like Hawthorne Hieghts, My Chemical Romance (Who sounds a hell of alot like Queen now) will always "pop-iffy" it and cliche it.

Hate the sins for the childern more because the "parent" bands set the trends..

Looking back you can say this as well.

The Misfits =>Metilica, Balzac, AFI, Son of Sam, Samhain and eventually Danzig.

Each "parent" band winds up influencing a "child" band...

Both poison's my suck though...just depends on your taste.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Good point, I picked out Circle Jerks because they're the ur-snot punk outfit, but Green Day and Blink 182 clearly threw open the doors for what we've been subjected to over the past decade.

To me, it's not the artistic style that's important. I stopped worrying about that long ago.

It's about personal taste. Do I like the song itself? Do I like listening to it?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    No, really, I used to feel that way, but I've been using Pandora lately and they've thrown a couple of Dead songs at me that I've found palatable. anything that runs over three minutes gets canned, though.
    Pandora is interesting. I'll put in a band I like to see what it spits back at me, and typically I'll like the first couple of songs. And then it gets all weird.

I put in a Catherine Wheel song once and I got some folksy/bluesy number. I really have no idea where things like that come from.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    To me, it's not the artistic style that's important. I stopped worrying about that long ago.

It's about personal taste. Do I like the song itself? Do I like listening to it?
    Good point. I should technically hate Rancid, but I'd be lying to you if I didn't admit that I like some of their completely derivative tunes.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Oh I like many of the shoegazers, too. My point wasn't to slam them outright, but rather to say they're complicit in influencing contemporary acts of teen angst.
    I love shoegaze, man. MBV, Ride, Slowdive, quality stuff.

Nicky Wire of the Manic Street Preachers once said he hated Slowdive more than Hitler.

Good point. I should technically hate Rancid, but I'd be lying to you if I didn't admit that I like some of their completely derivative tunes.

I like Rancid, well..older Rancid. Newer Rancid, with the advent of The Transplants kinda sucks..I dont care too much for the weird rap parts..that could have just been handed back to Matt..like the good ol'days of "Dead Bodies".
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    I love shoegaze, man. MBV, Ride, Slowdive, quality stuff.
    Shoegaze...

The scene that keeps itself alive. Bands used to go to other bands concerts, just because no one else would.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Sorry M2, but I think you're just old and crotchety. However, you have earned it, just as everyone who has ever done or experienced anything has earned the right to declare those who follow as inferior, half-wits, whipper-snappers!

Movies were better in black and white, rock and roll was better with tube amps and four piece drum sets, baseball was better when guys knew how to play the game.

Sorry to break it to you brother, but when it comes to the right to determine what's popular, teenagers rule. And their tastes have been declining since Adam complained to Eve about that damned Cain and his friends out there, "playing music and doing pot until the break of dawn".

Having said that, I agree- all music created after my last day in college sucks worse every day that it continues to exist. It's the inevitable decline of art into commodity.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    It's the inevitable decline of art into commodity.

Music stopped being an artform when it became too infused with money-marketing scams. Lately it seems like now matter how good the type of music you like is, if they can't sell out a main stage somewhere, no one cares. If only six seventeen year olds know the name of the band, it's not selling enough and if the twenty somethings (That'd be me) really dig the music (Shoegaze type bands, Melodic Hardcore/Emo, Emo) then we're in between the two "culture sets". You're forced to like older music and popish music cause it's all you hear, it is the commodity as you say.

Diveristy in music is now labelled different and wrong, and normally if your band has decent lyrical quality, they don't get the radio play as a band who is cliche would...

Take this for example.

From Autumn to Ashes - No Trivia.

M 4 V T C N H, might need to provide that number at the gate.
    Steady Pilot, casue Im half afraid..
    I can't believed you'd ask me that, of course I don't believe in faith.

And would you be depressed if I attend that wedding but only as a guest?
    Such an unfaithful bride, draped in dress, spun from threads of my regret.

To

Hawthorne Heights - Ohio is for Lovers

So cut my wrist and black my eyes..So I can fall asleep tonight and Die!
    Because you kill me..
    You know you do, you kill me well, you like to do it I can tell..You never stop until my final breath is gone.

HH is radio played.

Fata is not.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    Shoegaze...

The scene that keeps itself alive. Bands used to go to other bands concerts, just because no one else would.

I used to play in a band with a guy that also played in a local shoegaze outfit called The Emerald Down. If you were a shoegaze fan, you would like them. They were damn good at what they did.

While labels are concerned with making money above all (and they're a business; they're supposed to profit), I would like to point out that 90% of the average major label's bands lose money for them. It's that top 10% that is keeping all the underground bands signed at all. You may think that giving Justin Timberlake money is insane, but when you buy his album, most of that money is actually going to the label, and a good part of that money is what is allowing Good Underground Brooklyn Band #342 to tour for three weeks to get their music out there to about 50 people.

I've of two minds on the music piracy thing -- I believe that all artists have a need to communicate, so to get their work out to as many people as possible should be a goal -- but as far as money for labels go, yes, they're making money, but every label does have a contingent whose job it is to get genuinely good, unknown music out there.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I got into Shoegaze recently. Josh Newton (FATA's bassist) formed a band called "The Great Fire of 1666", loved the sound of it. Went back and got into MBV again...Then found out Josh was one of the nicest guys I'd ever met.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    While labels are concerned with making money above all (and they're a business; they're supposed to profit), I would like to point out that 90% of the average major label's bands lose money for them. It's that top 10% that is keeping all the underground bands signed at all. You may think that giving Justin Timberlake money is insane, but when you buy his album, most of that money is actually going to the label, and a good part of that money is what is allowing Good Underground Brooklyn Band #342 to tour for three weeks to get their music out there to about 50 people.

I've of two minds on the music piracy thing -- I believe that all artists have a need to communicate, so to get their work out to as many people as possible should be a goal -- but as far as money for labels go, yes, they're making money, but every label does have a contingent whose job it is to get genuinely good, unknown music out there.

You're comparing major labels to the labels I listen to..Which in it's own right is fair and good points that you made. However...

Vagrant Records < Interscope

And thats pretty much what it comes down to.

And as far as piracy goes..If a bands real intent is make art in the form of music (And you will know us by the trail of the dead did this), They'd put out a weblink with a free download for the song. I know a few "underground" bands that love what they are doing enough to let their back-up singer blow out his voice because their lead singer quit the band before a tour. Two days of rest after three shows and he was ready to scream/sing again.

It's for those reasons I respect those bands more than mainstreamers.
    Last edited by Dracodave; 12-20-2006 at 04:53 PM.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?