Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Music question: Should the sins of the children be visited upon the parents?

Music question: Should the sins of the children be visited upon the parents?

I was just giving this some thought and I figured I'd toss it out there for general public consumption.

For instance, Led Zeppelin pretty much birthed arena rock. Is it their fault that within a decade corporate rock (with poster children like Styx) had arisen?

I go back and forth on it. I'd generally say no except Zep made and released "Song Remains the Same," which pretty much canonized crappy arena rock excess.

Other difficult musical parent/child relationships that spring to mind include:

In the late 1970s, Judas Priest decided to clad themselves in leather (because Rob Halford was into the gay biker look) and unleashed guitar-driven, up tempo heavy metal. Are they responsible for the hair metal that followed, most disagreeably in the form of Kip Winger?

How responsible is Husker Du for emo and the many sins created in that name? Do later purveyors like Superchunk on "Here's Where the Strings Come In" (I will be the steward of your southern lands, if you'd only take my, take my shaking hands) bear more responsibility? But even then could they have known how that would enable whiny teenagers?

Can we lump snot punk bands like Good Charlotte and Simple Plan onto the shoulders of the Circle Jerks?

Is Garth Brooks ultimately responsible for the horrors of modern country pop?

I don't pretend to have the answers to these questions. I'm curious to hear what others think and what other originals have spawned dastardly children.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Music question: Should the sins of the children be visited upon the parents?

Don't forget all teh crap that can be lain at the feet of the Grateful Dead.

Other than that I generally blame Led Zeppelin for everything
    School's out. What did you expect?

Re: Music question: Should the sins of the children be visited upon the parents?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Don't forget all teh crap that can be lain at the feet of the Grateful Dead.
    I tend to view the Grateful Dead as an original sin. If my children ever want to torment me all they need to do is become jam band or country music fans.

I don't really blame the forfathers of any genre for the mountain of crap that generally gets released in their wake. There's a lot of awful prog that can trace its roots back to Pink Floyd, but i don't think Pink Floyd can necessarily be blamed for that. Ditto Zeppelin, or Judas Priest. And how much cheesy goth music could be pinned on the Cure or Joy Division?

I loathe bands when they artifically change their sound to fit with what's popular--particularly when they're not very adept at it. (I'm looking at you, Bono.) But it's hard for me to fault a band simply for blazing a trail.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I tend to view the Grateful Dead as an original sin. If my children ever want to torment me all they need to do is become jam band or country music fans.
    Plus, the Grateful Dead spawned Phish.

<shiver>
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post

<shiver>
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd rather a donkey violate my ear than the Grateful Dead.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I'd chalk up the whiny teenager sound to a massive swath of music: folk, punk, the Cure, Bauhaus, Ride, MBV, J & M Chain (by extension all the shoegazing goofs), Joy Division.

Only arena rock and music written by black artists can be exempted from that scourge.

Though I have to say, many of the emo predecessors and their spawn I like quite a bit--unabashedly. Others I detest. It's just hard to say.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Personally I like the Dead and Phish, but I can understand people not liking either of them. It's an acquired taste. One generally acquired by participating in certain illicit activities.

Now, the legion of hippy/jam bands that exist today? That stuff drives me nuts.

Oh, and I like Country music too. At least Willie, Johnny, Merle, Waylon, George & Lorretta.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post

<shiver>
    To actually answer the question that M2 brought up, I think this ends the conversation. I think this alone is proof that you can't blame the original band for what follows, or "inspires" future bands.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    To actually answer the question that M2 brought up, I think this ends the conversation. I think this alone is proof that you can't blame the original band for what follows, or "inspires" future bands.
    All I know is I'm blaming someone for The String Cheese Incident. Those idiots aren't original enough to cause as much pain to my ears as they have.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    All I know is I'm blaming someone for The String Cheese Incident. Those idiots aren't original enough to cause as much pain to my ears as they have.
    That'd be Led Zeppelin's fault, or Phish's, take your pick.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

That'd be Led Zeppelin's fault.
    As much as I'd like to blame Led Zeppelin it's hard to blame them for a band like string cheese who has no bottom and doesn't play any bar chords EVER.

It's simple.

If you like the music of the parent band, then you can dismiss any follow-on dreck as pale or misguided imitation. That they really didn't *get* what the parent was doing.

If you don't like the parent band, then it's open season to pile on them and blame them for each and every band that spawned from their ill-conceived musical dronings.

And actually, I sat here and tried to trace back rock, country, pop, etc. bands back to their roots and it all got pretty complicated. Like Led Zep came from the Yardbirds from Alexis Korner from early British blues from Muddy Waters, et al from Delta blues from slave field hollers from Africa from ??? so I just don't know.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

It seems to me the original always plants seeds for future suckitude. Mind you, aimless noodling is more than a seed, it's a full-blown forest of suckitude.

Anyway, the originals almost always turn into their own tribute bands at some point and provide an excellent blueprint on how undermine the foundation of what they've built.

Turn Off Ads?