Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baseball America's Minor-League Transactions up through 12/20

Re: Baseball America's Minor-League Transactions up through 12/20

I suppose, from one point of view, it makes sense to line up every conceivable reclamation project, but surely there's also a point at which these guys are going to take the minor league innings away from the kids who need them to develop. If we keep a bunch of these guys beyond spring training, how does that square with Krivsky's stated intention to lower the ages of minor leaguers at every level? Is he just throwing darts, hoping some will stick? Does that really seem like the GM of a contender?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Ruzic was pitcher of the year in the Australian National Championships held in January. His huge and will be attractive to a number of Redzoners who prefer the overpowering flamethrowing pitcher.
    Ah, excellent. So what happened in between getting released by Florida out of rookie ball and that tournament? How long has he been playing ball?

The Australian National Championships aren't the greatest. Not many of the guys who are already signed to major league clubs come back for this. So the quality is a lot less than the AFL or even the Winter Leagues. Probably scouted by LP and given a chance to compete for the REDS. I'm not saying he is going to be useless to the REDS but don't expect him to put up Cueto or Obispo numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I suppose, from one point of view, it makes sense to line up every conceivable reclamation project, but surely there's also a point at which these guys are going to take the minor league innings away from the kids who need them to develop. If we keep a bunch of these guys beyond spring training, how does that square with Krivsky's stated intention to lower the ages of minor leaguers at every level? Is he just throwing darts, hoping some will stick? Does that really seem like the GM of a contender?
    It's an ebb thing. We still have roster slots to fill and if we take Wayne seriously that he plans on moving players step by step, you can't stock AAA (or even AA) completely with your own developing players. Within two years, that might be the case (although I don't think it will ever be "completely"). If they've got someone that needs to move up, they'll make the appropriate roster move on whatever team's roster it is.

WabashFalcon74

Perez, they have been saying, is another four to five years away from becomming an absolute star. He has the arm, he can call a great ballgame for his staff, but he just can not hit the baseball. Look for him in a few years. SI even said a while back that he was one of the top five catching prospects in all of the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by WabashFalcon74 View Post
    Perez, they have been saying, is another four to five years away from becomming an absolute star. He has the arm, he can call a great ballgame for his staff, but he just can not hit the baseball. Look for him in a few years. SI even said a while back that he was one of the top five catching prospects in all of the majors.
    Miguel is also out until the All-Star break with an injury. Lucky for him, though, the Reds don't really have any other hard-charging catching prospects at the moment.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

With Perez out, maybe people will stop criticizing Way-K for the Moeller signing.

Then again, maybe monkeys will fly out of my butt. Twice.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    With Perez out, maybe people will stop criticizing Way-K for the Moeller signing.
    Why? The Moeller deal was bad regardless of what happens to Perez because he was given a major league contract.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I could be wrong, but I believe it's a split contract like the Bubba Crosby signing.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I could be wrong, but I believe it's a split contract like the Bubba Crosby signing.
    That could be I guess. The only thing I've read is that it's a one year major league deal.

The Latin Heartthrob

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Ruzic... whoa. First of all, dude's listed at 6-foot-8 and 277 pounds. Second, he's from Australia, not eastern Europe. Third, he was released by Florida after appearing in seventeen games of rookie ball in 2005. So I really have no idea what might be in store for the 25-year-old.
    I would guess Ruzic's of Croatian descent. There's a huge Croatian population in Australia. I like what I've read of and heard about him.

Thanks a bunch for keeping us up to date on these transactions, Doc.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...ws/263468.html

Cincinnati Reds
    Signed RHP Kerry Ligtenberg
    Signed LHP Eddie Guardado
    Signed SS Caonabo Cosme

Houston Astros
    Signed RHP Brian Moehler

Los Angeles Angels
    Signed SS Gary Patchett

Los Angeles Dodgers
    Signed RHP Joe Mays
    Signed C Kelly Stinnett

New York Mets
    Released C Bobby Estalella

New York Yankees
    Signed LHP Ron Villone

Washington Nationals
    Signed LHP Brandon Claussen
    Signed LHP Ray King
    Signed 2B Tony Womack
    ---

Cosme was originally signed by Oakland out of the DR in 1996. He left the Athletics organization as a free agent after the 2002 season, in which he hit .291/.353/.439 in High-A ball. He spent 2003 at AA Tennessee (STL) hitting .273/.320/.392, then went to the Yankee organization where he's played the last three seasons as a part-timer, primarily at AAA Columbus.

Listed primarily as a SS but also a 2B, Cosme does not appear to be much of an offensive asset. His career pro line is just .255/.321/.358, and in 2006 he hit a Castro-like .209/.262/.343 in AAA. He had speed at one time, topping out at 44 steals in Class A ball (2000) but hasn't stolen in double digits since 2002.

Looks like the 28-year-old is basically a utlityman for Louisville in '07.
    Last edited by Doc. Scott; 03-06-2007 at 07:42 PM.

The Orioles have jettisoned Jose Acevedo. Is it over for Jose?

Oakland sent RHR David Shafer to AAA. Expected, since Shafer has yet to pitch at that level.

So far, everyone else that I've seen is where you might expect them to be.

Signed 2B Tony Womack
    He has now been released as of last week too.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    He has now been released as of last week too.
    Ah, that's right- Womack's hit the road again. (He still fits the "where you'd expect them to be" statement, eh?)

The Dodgers also let Damian Jackson go.

Turn Off Ads?