Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the silence?

Why the silence?

I could take the non-action better, if the front office, either directly or through the press, let fans know what the game plan is. Even with the spurt of RedsFest publicity, there has been no real communication from the FO.

I can just hear the responses. What do you want them to do, publicize their strategy? Isn't that bad for making deals?

I'm not suggesting that the Reds reveal their specific plans. But they are conveying the impression either that they have no plan, or their plan is to just pick up some inexpensive pieces and "compete" for fourth place.

Would it be so terrible to say something like: "We are working on a number of player transactions that will please Reds fans, but probably won't develop for a few weeks." Or, "we are being very cautious in this market because we don't want to sacrifice either financial flexibility or mortgage the future." Or, "we had some plans but, after exploring them fully, the transactions wouldn't have helped our club. We are still looking at several player moves but won't make deals unless they help the team."

Aren't devoted fans entitled to some general statement of what the team is doing?
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-21-2006 at 03:01 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why the silence?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I could take the non-action better, if the front office, either directly or through the press, let fans know what the game plan is. Even with the spurt of RedsFest publicity, there has been no real communication from the FO.

I can just hear the responses. What do you want them to do, publicize their strategy? Isn't that bad for making deals?

I'm not suggesting that the Reds reveal their specific plans. But they are conveying the impression either that they have no plan, or their plan is to just pick up some inexpensive pieces and "compete" for fourth place.

Would it be so terrible to say something like: "We are working on a number of player transactions that will please Reds fans, but probably won't develop for a few weeks." Or, "we are being very cautious in this market because we don't want to sacrifice either financial flexibility or mortgage the future." Or, "we had some plans but, after exploring them fully, the transactions wouldn't have helped our club. We are still looking at several player moves but won't make deals unless they help the team."

Aren't devoted fans entitled to some general statement of what the team is doing?
    Short Answer - No.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

There's actually a fairly long thread on this topic in Reds Live:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53411

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Short Answer - No.
    BUT, if you're interested in the marketing of your "product", then it would behoove you to create a buzz, and stimulate interest. To actually connect with your "consumers" find out what they like or dislike about your product. Maybe even tell those consumers what to expect in the future from your product.

Ultimately, you're right, they don't have to say anything. If they want to continue business as usual, as it's been for far too long now.

And then no one will care, or talk or go, except us poor addicted souls here on RZ.

I don't think Castellini has that in mind, and won't let that happen. The ultimate sure fire marketing plan is to produce a winner. That takes some time (how much- IDK?). So, for now, the Reds are building up decent pitching (better than last years, so far), better defense, and hopefully a stronger farm system. And they're marketing the announcers and RedsFest, because, believe it or not, that stuff draws a lot of casual fans. The folks here are pretty hardcore, hard to please, and as stated before, exactly half of us are unhappy about everything!

The plan is there is no plan. Acquire as many old, disposable players as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

The plan is to build around Dunn/Harang while they move young talent into the team in 2007-09. That is why they have not been making "expensive" move to throw the team over the top because they don't feel it is good enough to contend. That is what they are telling us. Maybe they will switch gears and trade Dunn/Harang, but they may feel that is unnecessary longterm if they can sign both.

These 'throw away' players the Reds collect are brought in for that very reason. They are easy to throw away after they aren't needed anymore.

It is Transitional Progress. A streamlined process of moving in young talent while keeping a respectable(but mostly losing product intially). That means no 55-107 seasons.

This year Votto will be moved in,Bailey a bit also(lightly though, he is more 2008). In 2008 Bruce(breakout year) and Cueto ete ete ete. If things change and something that comes up that alters the lineup, then so be it, but progress is progress and Krivsky is banking on Transitional Progress to lead the Reds to glory! I suspect in 3 years Krivsky will right a book called "Transitional Progress" and will become the moneyball of the 2010's.

2009 lineup:
    CF: Drew Stubbs!!!! 24
    RF: Jay Bruce 22
    LF: Adam Dunn 29
    1st: Joey Votto 25
    2nd: ???????
    SS: Gonzo 32
    3rd: EE 26
    C: ???????

Looks like a restored offense to me. Though Krivsky will have to figure out a few positions coming outside the organization or one of his 2006 college draftee's. But overall, a young vibrant offense. Just think, Dunner will only 29 though he has seemingly been here forever lol.
    Last edited by Aronchis; 12-21-2006 at 10:14 PM.

So the plan is to assume that every single high-level prospect in the organization will turn into an All-Star.

Fantastic. Why didn't I think of that?

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    The plan is there is no plan. Acquire as many old, disposable players as possible.
    I think we have a winner.

If there is a plan, it is to have these old, disposable players have career years and then ease the youngsters into the lineup. It's cheap and goes right along with the so-called Minnesota philosophy.

I hate it. The Reds since July have gone from a reasonably young team to an old team. And you just can't count on Votto, et al to make it to be a success in the majors.

IMHO, it's a train wreck and being from a railroad family, that's not pretty. I simply cannot believe what is happening.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    So the plan is to assume that every single high-level prospect in the organization will turn into an All-Star.

Fantastic. Why didn't I think of that?
    You mean like it happened in Oakland,Detroit or Minnesota? Yep, it happens. Thinking Bailey,Bruce,Votto ete 'can't' workout is self-defeating. When it pans out, organizations suddenly stop losing. Doesn't hurt you have Dunn,EE and Harang already here. Sounds like something may be coming together...........or it may not. That is the fun part of it. The possibilities. I think this group has as good as chance as any in recent Reds history. Bailey and Votto already have had some success in AA and Bruce is the type of talent that I wouldn't be surprised doesn't pull a Dunn or Wright his full 3rd year of professional ball.

Krivsky and Cast better have some backup plans if they fall through, but that is part of running an organization.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I think we have a winner.

If there is a plan, it is to have these old, disposable players have career years and then ease the youngsters into the lineup. It's cheap and goes right along with the so-called Minnesota philosophy.

I hate it. The Reds since July have gone from a reasonably young team to an old team. And you just can't count on Votto, et al to make it to be a success in the majors.

IMHO, it's a train wreck and being from a railroad family, that's not pretty. I simply cannot believe what is happening.
    I'll take some Minnesota philosophy with a side of multiple playoffs.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I'll take some Minnesota philosophy with a side of multiple playoffs.

If you look at those Minnesota teams, you have to admit the talent pool was more impressive than ours. Our minors haven't produced and won't for years. What you do in the meantime is not to inject 40-somethings into the lineup. No matter that they know what to do with the bat and play the game the right way.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    If you look at those Minnesota teams, you have to admit the talent pool was more impressive than ours. Our minors haven't produced and won't for years. What you do in the meantime is not to inject 40-somethings into the lineup. No matter that they know what to do with the bat and play the game the right way.
    You certainly don't do it by signing mediocre guys to 3, 4, or 5 year deals.

I don't look at their age. I look at them being reasonably priced stop gaps.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    You mean like it happened in Oakland,Detroit or Minnesota? Yep, it happens. Thinking Bailey,Bruce,Votto ete 'can't' workout is self-defeating. When it pans out, organizations suddenly stop losing. Doesn't hurt you have Dunn,EE and Harang already here. Sounds like something may be coming together...........or it may not. That is the fun part of it. The possibilities. I think this group has as good as chance as any in recent Reds history. Bailey and Votto already have had some success in AA and Bruce is the type of talent that I wouldn't be surprised doesn't pull a Dunn or Wright his full 3rd year of professional ball.

Krivsky and Cast better have some backup plans if they fall through, but that is part of running an organization.

You so deserve rep for this! I have given out to much apparently. I applaud you for realizing that this has to be the way the Red's have to rebuild if there is any hope for a long term contender.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

If you are pinning all your hopes on Bailey, Votto, and Bruce all arriving in '08 and being major league regulars (much less leading you to the playoffs) you are useing the Enron blueprint for operating a company----run a shell game for as long as possible and hope you hit the jackpot before it collapses onto itself. Yep, it happens (the kids all blossum as a group) once in a great while but the odds are heavily stacked against it.

Better to try to build elsewhere as well as wait on a mircle to happen. This off season would have been a good time to start.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    If you are pinning all your hopes on Bailey, Votto, and Bruce all arriving in '08 and being major league regulars (much less leading you to the playoffs) you are useing the Enron blueprint for operating a company----run a shell game for as long as possible and hope you hit the jackpot before it collapses onto itself. Yep, it happens (the kids all blossum as a group) once in a great while but the odds are heavily stacked against it.

Better to try to build elsewhere as well as wait on a mircle to happen. This off season would have been a good time to start.
    Rem
    Not to mention we have seen that plan (the youth movement) come and bust before also.

You clearly have your finger on the pulse.

Turn Off Ads?