Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, Richie wanted to be a starter...Giants sign Klesko to compete at 1st

So, Richie wanted to be a starter...Giants sign Klesko to compete at 1st

From Rotoworld:

Giants signed first basmean Ryan Klesko, who had been with the Padres, to a one-year contract.
    Klesko turned 35 in June, so he now fits the Giants' minimum age requirement. If healthy, he'd be a substantial upgrade over Rich Aurilia at first base against righties. The Giants, though, probably won't go with a platoon right away. They've suffered through way too much of Lance Niekro the last couple of years even though they've had better options against righties.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So, Richie wanted to be a starter...Giants sign Klesko to compete at 1st

I love me some draft picks.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    From Rotoworld:

Giants signed first basmean Ryan Klesko, who had been with the Padres, to a one-year contract.
    Klesko turned 35 in June, so he now fits the Giants' minimum age requirement. If healthy, he'd be a substantial upgrade over Rich Aurilia at first base against righties. The Giants, though, probably won't go with a platoon right away. They've suffered through way too much of Lance Niekro the last couple of years even though they've had better options against righties.
    I'm not familiar with the rest of their infield, but this could allow them to float Rich like Jerry did. He brings a lot to the table with his versatility. He'll get as much playing time as he did here last year, I think.

Wouldn't it be ironic that Richie gets booted by Ryan Klesko?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    From Rotoworld:

Third Base???

I sure know he isn't going to think of himself as a SS there.

What a lineup:

C: Molina
    1B: Aurilia / Klesko
    2B: Durham
    SS: Vizquel
    3B: Feliz
    CF: Dave Roberts
    RF: Winn
    LF: Bonds

What's the average age? 50? I'm thinking the August heat may kill some of them.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 12-20-2006 at 10:53 AM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Feliz left as a FA I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Feliz left as a FA I thought.

Rotoworld.com, Dec. 4th

Giants re-signed third baseman Pedro Feliz to a one-year, $5.1 million contract.

Maybe it's possible we don't give MLB GMs enough credit sometimes. It looked like Feliz would cash in this winter after driving in 98 runs and playing excellent defense. However, there just wasn't any interest outside of San Franicsco. Taking him back for one year isn't a bad idea for the Giants. He is one of the game's most underrated defenders, and his pathetic OBP isn't such a problem if he bats sixth or seventh. $5.1 million is a fair salary in this market
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I sure know he isn't going to think of himself as a SS there.
    He's going to fight it out at 3rd with Feliz and Klesko at 1st, he'll get about 420 ab's unless he tanks. He's not going to top 500.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    What a lineup:

C: Molina
    1B: Aurilia / Klesko
    2B: Durham
    SS: Vizquel
    3B: Feliz
    CF: Dave Roberts
    RF: Winn
    LF: Bonds

What's the average age? 50? I'm thinking the August heat may kill some of them.
    Those pills they will be popping on the bench won't be steroids this year. They'll be Geritol.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...ancisco_giants

In the meantime, the Giants roster continues to take shape. Bochy stumped hard for Klesko, a personal friend and golfing buddy who played in just six games last season because of left shoulder surgery.

"He's fully endorsed by our manager, as a lot of our acquisitions have been, and that's why he's here," Giants general manager Brian Sabean said.

Klesko will see time in left field and at first base, where he could work himself into a platoon with Rich Aurilia and make Sweeney expendable. (Klesko's deal would see him make up to $2 million more in performance bonuses based on plate appearances.) Bochy said he still considers Aurilia the primary first baseman, but "it's always going to stay competitive."
    * C -- Benjie Molina, 31
    * 1B -- Rich Aurilia, 35
    * 1B -- Ryan Klesko, 36
    * 2B -- Ray Durham, 35
    * 3B -- Pedro Feliz, 31
    * SS -- Omar Vizquel, 40
    * LF -- Barry Bonds, 42
    * CF -- Dave Roberts, 35
    * RF -- Randy Winn, 33
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Those pills they will be popping on the bench won't be steroids this year. They'll be Geritol.
    And now that Richies in town, Amyl nitrate

*Sssscrappyyyy*
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I believe the Giants have petioned the league to start all their games at noon because 1. they don't want to miss the early bird dinners and 2. they don't like to drive at night.
    Where we gonna go?

Turn Off Ads?