Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Reds Trade For Conine

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Reds Trade For Conine

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You got to wonder if Marc's not throwin' us all a bone by dropping that quote in there from time to time.

could be; you'd know it for sure if he used the adjective scrappy
    sorry we're boring

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I haven't pleaded "poverty" - I think this is an astute move for THIS year in getting that right handed bat for 1st base and who can play the corner outfield positions, DH (now with inter-league play).
    Astute? How? The guy OPSed 700 last year and makes $2M. This "power bat" hit 10 HR in almost 500 ABs last year and has hit 20 HR in a complete season one time since 1997. Put him in a corner outfield position next to Griffey (and, God help us, Dunn) and you've got easily the worst defensive outfield in the Major Leagues.

I don't ask that every move be ingenious. Sometimes you have to tread water, sometimes you take a step back to take two forward. I just expect a minimum level of competence. Don't piss on my feet and tell me it's raining.

The truth is, around here, there's no pleasing some people. Oh well. Time to go pick up some pizza for dinner.
    This may be half true.

It's also about half true that some people around here would defend ANY move made by Wayne. (Chad Moeller)

"I’m excited about it. He’s a guy that we know has had an outstanding career so far.
    You tell 'em Jerry! With today's medical technology, 40 years old is just getting started. Anyway, the biggest loss here is Harris in my opinion. Thought he might be a solid player, but with the addition of Gonzalez, there really wasn't an opening for him. Conine should be a solid bat off the bench and hopefully provide extra OF insurance so Wayne can deal Denorfia for a pitcher. I'm sure he'll be starting in right field on opening day though.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    ...which says the average MLB salary now is $2.7 million a year.

The reality is that these bench guys that Kriv is plowing all this payroll into are average guys who are making average money for what they do. For the most part, they'd be making the same kind of money somewhere else.
    That article doesn't specifically say, but it looks to be the mean rather than the median. Which would tells us that for every KGJ making $12MM there are five guys making $500k. The point being that median is lower than the mean, which tells us that these $2MM backups are probably making more than half of the players out there.

I won't judge Krivsky's moves individually, but bringing in roster-filler players like Moeller, Stanton, Conine, Crosby, etc. is a clear sign to me that we are not going to compete in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    The amount of money that will be spent on Weathers, Conine, Lohse, Cormier, Stanton and Gonzalez is amazing.

Throw in Griffey and Milton and it's embarassing.
    The money wasted on players this year could have amounted to a very serious offer for Zito. It's staggering to start adding up the cash that Wayne has FLUNG IN THE AIR for detritus.

Phillies sign Werth for $800k.

Reds trade 2 minor leaguers to Philly for Conine, who makes $2 million.

Who did better, Cincy or Philly?

I hate to say this but I wonder where the Reds are going if we had a conteding team I could understand the moves they have made but it looks like bandaids on a bullet wound

I haven't pleaded "poverty" - I think this is an astute move for THIS year in getting that right handed bat for 1st base and who can play the corner outfield positions, DH (now with inter-league play).
    The Reds don't need a right handed bat who can play first base. The need a bat that can hit lefties well to complete the platoon with Hatteberg.

So here's a hypothetical. Which player would be considered a better fit (incidentally both are right handed and can play corner outfield too though lets be honest-both are defensive liabilities)?

Player A*: $2M/yr plus two minor leaguers and DFA'ing a potentially useful guy
    2005 vs lefties: .280/.353/.347 75 AB
    2006 vs lefties: .260/.337/.400 150 AB

Pecota prediction for both sides in '07: .266/.321/.395 (replacement level first baseman-he no longer shows a split advantage against lefties and hasn't really since '04 so what you see is what you get)

Player B*: probably a 2 yr deal for $7-9.5M total
    2005 vs lefties: .283/.449/.415 53 AB
    2006 vs lefties: .278/.347/.496 163 AB

pecota prediction for both sides in '07: 262/.361/.485 (league average for firstbase in '06 was .284/.342/.453 but he is likely to be better than Pecota's 50th percentile if a bigger percentage of his AB are against lefties).

So what is the ultimate goal? To simply fill roster spots for as little payroll as you can while crossing your fingers or to fill them with the best players possible within reason?

Do you want to be competitive or are you just attempting to appear like youre trying to be competitive?

I pick player B by the way...

*A=Conine; B=C. Wilson
    Last edited by jojo; 12-21-2006 at 07:19 PM.

My theory is that ten years ago, Wayne Krivsky made out a list of players he wanted to acquire if he ever became a GM, and now he's checking names off that list.

Not bad of a deal. You get a journeyman player who knows his role for two marginal prospects.

Votto is the future first baseman. If Krivsky trades one of the top 10 Reds prospects, I would be concerned.

Meanwhile, I continue my winter snooze.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Not bad of a deal. You get a journeyman player who knows his role for two marginal prospects.

Votto is the future first baseman. If Krivsky trades one of the top 10 Reds prospects, I would be concerned.

Meanwhile, I continue my winter snooze.
    Not really....two marginal prospects, the likely loss of a potentially useful guy in Harris and worst of all the opportunity cost of not having someone else give better at bats then what Conine brings to the table at this point in his career....
    Last edited by jojo; 12-21-2006 at 06:04 PM.

hollywood mid westerner

What people also need to remember is that although STATISTICALLY, we might have gotten a decent player in Conine for relatively "cheap" but while not considered "injury proned", you HAVE to look at his age..41..he has some mileage..and who's to say he doesnt throw out his back or something in the first month and is out for the season..so whats that? 2 mil down the drain..

I get ripped on all the time for this but seriously...how can you NOT start being disgusted with WK

I wonder if we offer Harris who we dfaed to the devil rays for the rights to Hamilton. That way they get a player and we would get to keep Hamilton. If not I hope we can either trade him or he clears waivers and we can keep him in the farm system.

Everyone is complaining that krivsky isnt signing any big name free agents, but lets think about this for a second.

Lets say he has 15 million to spend this offseason.

He needs bullpen help, help in the rotation, a SS, and a part time 1B.

We can sign Ted Lilly to hep the rotation but then we still have holes at SS, 1st and in the pen.

So basically Wayne is working with in his budget. A big name free agent might be nice but if we still have 3 or 4 major holes on the team then we will not compete. Wayne is building this team within his budget, he has to fill all the holes with 15 million dollars not 15 for each hole.

Turn Off Ads?