Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Reds Trade For Conine

Re: I for one like it

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    More than a platoon right handed hitter I think they needed an everyday first baseman.
    Maybe one that could bat 5th,hit 20 hrs,drive in 100....................
    I agree, for sure. But they obviously see Hatteberg as being the main first baseman for the near future, until Votto is ready, so a platoon partner was the obvious move.

With Griffey, Dunn and EE, the Reds need (at least) one more potent bat and first base was the obvious place. But the Reds, with Votto on the horizon, didn't want to commit resources to the position now.

All of which I can live with, if they add a 200 inning starter to go with Harang and Arroyo. I'm willing to live with a weakened offense if they truly improve the pitching. So far we have the weaker offense, but not the improved pitching.

I do expect the Reds to make a move for a pitcher before the off-season is over. It's the big obvious missing piece of the puzzle for next year's club. I can live with the rest of this if they add a good pitcher.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Re: Reds Trade For Conine

Jeff Conine. 40 years old? Why? Why? Why? Are the Reds (Krivsky) going the senior citizen route again and again? Is there a long term plan for the Reds (other than acquire old veteran pitchers and position players)?

Unbelievable! And now he releases Brendan Harris which makes the horrible Austin Kearns, et. al. trade that much worse!

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post

Unbelievable! And now he releases Brendan Harris which makes the horrible Austin Kearns, et. al. trade that much worse!
    Who was the player here while back the reds held onto seemingly to justify another trade. Oh well, the name escapes me.
    Point is.....a team doesnt ever know what they are getting in a trade involving unprovens.So if a guy doesnt work out, I would rather let him go then keep him and just keep hoping for "justifying's" sake.

I am really disapointed with this move. Conine isn't necessarly dreadfull, but I thought they had an opportunity to get a real solid bat at 1B but instead seem to have settled for an "ok" bat. If we had a dirth of real power guys around he'd be a nice pickup for fill in at-bats, PH, etc. But we don't. And it seems clear from the press release that Wayne's checked "solid RH bat for 1B platoon" off his to-do list.

Hatteburg was a real "ho hum" pickup last year and it seemed to work out, but I had hoped they were going to make a move that made a statment instead of being "hope Wayne has some magic up his sleeve".

I know this guy is a one year solution but what if Votto folds next year in AAA? What if he's injured and we need a 1B solution in 2008? What if the deal of the century comes along and we trade Votto? We're back to the drawing board again. Why not go with a guy who could potentially be around in 2008 and either have the luxury of competition for the starting job or some nice trade bait?

Maybe all the Craig Wilson talk got my expectations too high. I don't know....not a fan of this move.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 12-21-2006 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not really. The acquisitions, especially in the pen, have done nothing but serve the purpose of pushing guys off the roster who are about the same but make the minimum. Salmon and Coutlangus would have served the same purpose as Stanton and Weathers IMO. I'd rather have those guys at the minimum than what little upgrade Stanton and Weathers provide (if any) if the money saved could be put into a real upgrade somewhere.

The same is happening now with Conine pushing Harris off the Roster. Harris could have probably platooned at 1B with Hat just as well. Better/cheaper options though were all around.
    Are you serious? Salmon+Coutlangus+Harris=52 major league appearances, all by Harris. Heck, Coutlangus only has two TRIPLE A appearances. You can't just throw out names and expect they'll produce like the veterans you've named, regardless of what you may save in salary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks
    I'm convinced Jay Bruce could homer every single time up the rest of the spring and cure cancer in his spare time and still not make the team.

"He hits right-handed pitching real well too," Narron said. "So he might see a lot of time against right-handed pitching. We'll just talk this thing out and see where it leads, and we just expect him to give us great at-bats, whether it's off the bench or in a platoon or regular situation."
    I might be drunk right now, but that isn't the reason why I am feeling faint.

Seriously, who does Narron think he is kidding?

1) "He hits right-handed pitching real well too" - OK, let's see about that:

2006: .271/.320/.398
    2005: .312/.380/.419
    2004: .282/.331/.415

Real well doesn't fit the bill here.

2) "Regular at-bats" - I'm gonna heave.

Seriously...72 wins is a pipe dream for 2006. I'm all about 2007 right now.

Trying to be positive.... Having a guy who can at least put the ball in play may help out. How many times can you recall last and previous years when the reds had a RISP with no outs and could not get it over. 489 AB with only 65 SO. Maybe something to that. Craig Wilson? 359 AB, 122 SO.

Maybe Conine will be a positive influence on that Hatteberg kid.

If they're going to platoon Hatteberg at least they have a guy who won't strike out is what I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by jbran1114 View Post
    If they're going to platoon Hatteberg at least they have a guy who won't strike out is what I'm saying.
    If he's not able to reach base what's it matter how he makes outs ?

I know people hate the fact that you can advance runner without getting on base. "small ball" has become a very naughty word to a lot of people. I agree with a lot of sabrmetrics and all, but sometimes you have to take what you can get. I still belive in a productive out I guess. Iknow ill be crucified for that.

No, that's how I think too, if you can get out, but put the runner into scoring position or move him to third, then there really isn't anything to be furious about. I believe that things like that win games.
    Let's make some noise!

You know the more I compare C. Wilson and Conine, hang on to your butts, I may just prefer Conine. Considering my knee jerk reaction was to vomit, I'd like to see what Wilson signs for somewhere else. And a compensation pick to boot after '07.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not too enthusiastic about the acquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by jbran1114 View Post
    You know the more I compare C. Wilson and Conine, hang on to your butts, I may just prefer Conine. Considering my knee jerk reaction was to vomit, I'd like to see what Wilson signs for somewhere else. And a compensation pick to boot after '07.
    why do you think that?

Turn Off Ads?