Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sabr

Sabr

Any members here? Is it worth purchasing a membership?

Edit: Let me also add that it's losing ProQuest, so is it still worth joining?
    Last edited by Goten; 12-21-2006 at 10:08 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sabr

I looked at the SABR site for the first time today. I am curious also.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Goten View Post
    Any members here? Is it worth purchasing a membership?

Edit: Let me also add that it's losing ProQuest, so is it still worth joining?
    Yep, they have Baseball Magazine and you can get a discount on TSN, I wouldn't dump my membership.

Gonna really miss proquest though.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep, they have Baseball Magazine and you can get a discount on TSN, I wouldn't dump my membership.

I saw its like $60 a year for the membership. Is there more to it than just the magazine???
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I saw its like $60 a year for the membership. Is there more to it than just the magazine???
    There are countless research tools and you get a few periodicals and books every year. I got a copy of Green Cathedrals in the mail the other day, plus the group here in Portland is pretty robust, there's a couple of BP guys, Rob Neyer, Mark Armour and some heavies in Sabr itself.

Pretty interesting.

Here's a list of some of their "perks"

Above and to your left in the menu are links to both public and members-only research assets. They are:

The SABR Encyclopedia
    The Baseball Index
    The SABR Lending Library
    The SABR-L Archives
    ProQuest Historical Newspapers
    Heritage Quest Genealogical Resources
    Archives USA
    Amateur Athletic Association of LA Digitized Sports Periodicals
    SABR Research Committees
    SABR Chapter Resources
    Triple Plays Database

You can use Proquest for free through a number of public library sites including Cincinnati's.

Quote Originally Posted by nycredsfan View Post
    You can use Proquest for free through a number of public library sites including Cincinnati's.
    Yep, but I used to be able to use it from my basement.

Alas, I'll find a subscription service for newspapers.

I do belong to Paper of Record too.

There are countless research tools and you get a few periodicals and books every year. I got a copy of Green Cathedrals in the mail the other day, plus the group here in Portland is pretty robust, there's a couple of BP guys, Rob Neyer, Mark Armour and some heavies in Sabr itself.

Pretty interesting.

Here's a list of some of their "perks"

Above and to your left in the menu are links to both public and members-only research assets. They are:

The SABR Encyclopedia
    The Baseball Index
    The SABR Lending Library
    The SABR-L Archives
    ProQuest Historical Newspapers
    Heritage Quest Genealogical Resources
    Archives USA
    Amateur Athletic Association of LA Digitized Sports Periodicals
    SABR Research Committees
    SABR Chapter Resources
    Triple Plays Database
    So whats a SABR meeting like?? A bunch of guys sitting around drinking beer and talking about baseball history?? If thats the case I am in. I can probally talk with more intelligence about the 1970 Reds than I can the 2006 Reds.

Some libraries, including Cincinnati, will let you use it from home. All you have to do is punch in your card number and pin. It doesn't look like Multnomah will let you do this (I assume that is your library), but you probably know someone in Cinci who will share their card.

On a side note, the director of the library I work for was ranting about Multnomah's inflated circulation statistics a while back. They consistently have the highest circulation for libraries of that size in the country. He seems to think there is some shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by nycredsfan View Post
    Some libraries, including Cincinnati, will let you use it from home. All you have to do is punch in your card number and pin. It doesn't look like Multnomah will let you do this (I assume that is your library), but you probably know someone in Cinci who will share their card.

On a side note, the director of the library I work for was ranting about Multnomah's inflated circulation statistics a while back. They consistently have the highest circulation for libraries of that size in the country. He seems to think there is some shenanigans.
    They really pump the library here, way more then they did in the Bay Area, this is a big book/writers town as well.

Thanks for the tip on the Cincy library, I'll talk to my buddy or inlaws.... that really rocks.

West - Cool. I may join tomorrow. I've asked around a lot about this, and all have said it's worth it, even though proquest will be gone. One question though - Do you have to attend any of the meetings? Is it mandatory?

Do you have to attend any of the meetings? Is it mandatory?
    No, not at all.

We have 3 a or 4 a year, I tend to go to local ones and have yet to make a Seattle one, which usually involves a UW or Mariners game.

SABR member here. It is well worth it for the publications alone. In my case, I'm under 30 so membership is extremely cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan View Post
    SABR member here. It is well worth it for the publications alone. In my case, I'm under 30 so membership is extremely cheap.
    What are the publications like??? I have subscribed to "Baseball Digest" for 25 years and love it simply for the articles on the old time players. Is it similar to that??

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    What are the publications like??? I have subscribed to "Baseball Digest" for 25 years and love it simply for the articles on the old time players. Is it similar to that??
    One of the primary initial goals of SABR was to establish a publication where members could get research published and shared with like-minded students of baseball. The Baseball Research Journal was launched in 1972 with 19 articles including "Ty Cobb Steals Home," "The Pinch Grand Slam," "Tigers Best at Triple Plays," and "East Meets West in Negro Games." The Journal, combined with a newsletter, The SABR Bulletin, and a membership directory for networking purposes, formed a solid publishing base to fulfill SABR's objectives. In 1982, SABR added The National Pastime to its publication program. A review of baseball history, The National Pastime compliments The Baseball Research Journal with longer articles and more photos.

During the 1980s, SABR began issuing occasional books and by the 1990s had established a tradition of providing at least one and sometimes two books each year as part of the membership benefit.

Turn Off Ads?