Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sabr

Re: Sabr

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    One of the primary initial goals of SABR was to establish a publication where members could get research published and shared with like-minded students of baseball. The Baseball Research Journal was launched in 1972 with 19 articles including "Ty Cobb Steals Home," "The Pinch Grand Slam," "Tigers Best at Triple Plays," and "East Meets West in Negro Games." The Journal, combined with a newsletter, The SABR Bulletin, and a membership directory for networking purposes, formed a solid publishing base to fulfill SABR's objectives. In 1982, SABR added The National Pastime to its publication program. A review of baseball history, The National Pastime compliments The Baseball Research Journal with longer articles and more photos.

During the 1980s, SABR began issuing occasional books and by the 1990s had established a tradition of providing at least one and sometimes two books each year as part of the membership benefit.
    Thanks...I will be joining!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

So whats a SABR meeting like?? A bunch of guys sitting around drinking beer and talking about baseball history?? If thats the case I am in. I can probally talk with more intelligence about the 1970 Reds than I can the 2006 Reds.
    It looks more like a bunch of guys arguing about whether or not Harry Potter is the best book ever. Or maybe whether the new episodes of Star Wars live up to the hype. In other words, it looks like a hardcore nerd fest, but you can make the call.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    It looks more like a bunch of guys arguing about whether or not Harry Potter is the best book ever. Or maybe whether the new episodes of Star Wars live up to the hype. In other words, it looks like a hardcore nerd fest, but you can make the call.
    Do you read books on Baseball?

If so these are the guys who write most of them, so beat on them if you must but know this.

I can't stand fantasy movies like the aforementioned dreck.

So who's the geek?

You make the call.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

That looks like Tom Tippett and Luke Kramer from Diamond-Mind over on the right side.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

If so these are the guys who write most of them, so beat on them if you must but know this.
    Believe me, I appreciate their work with all my heart, but I don't think I'd want to hang with them.

Believe me, I appreciate their work with all my heart, but I don't think I'd want to hang with them.
    Understood, but sometimes the geekiest guys are the ones to watch out for.

Just joined today

How long does it take an order for membership to register? I just purchased one, and I know I submitted the right e-mail address, because I received a confirmation from SABR. Is there anything I need to do to finalize it?

Re: Just joined today

Quote Originally Posted by Goten View Post
    How long does it take an order for membership to register? I just purchased one, and I know I submitted the right e-mail address, because I received a confirmation from SABR. Is there anything I need to do to finalize it?

They should send an e-mail to you so you can log on to the website and get all the info that is available to members.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Re: Just joined today

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    They should send an e-mail to you so you can log on to the website and get all the info that is available to members.
    Yep, that's what happened. It's now time for me to explore...

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

I can't stand fantasy movies like the aforementioned dreck.

So who's the geek?

You make the call.
    So if you can't stand it, its dreck?

Hey, I like movies like The Conversation and My Dinner with Andre. But, I'm a parent too, and Harry Potter rocks. In both print and the theaters.

I also read comics, the Art of War, and anything by Piers Anthony.

And I started reading Bill James in 1985. I'm not a member of SABR, but when my kids finally move out, I probably will be.

I'll also have 20 subscriptions to Marvel Comics.
    Suck it up cupcake.

MLB. com has a video segment from the 2006 SABR convention in Seattle. You can watch the twenty minute feature here. The link is at the bottom of the page on the left.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/me...r/programs.jsp
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Please post a picture of yourself so we can critique your looks and check your "coolness" factor.

Thanks.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?