Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey, Untouchable?

Homer Bailey, Untouchable?

Who would you trade Homer Bailey for? Just curious to see what people would do if the situation ever came up. What would you expect in return if the deal was ever done?
    Last edited by jbran1114; 12-22-2006 at 06:43 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer Bailey, Untouchable?

no one, he's the next Nolan Ryan.

What would you expect if it was done, realistically

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Amen

Bailey is not a major leaguer yet but he's definitely untouchable if you're talking about trading him for anything but an established (a #1 or #2) starting pitcher. He may be Nolan Ryan, and he may be Rich Ankiel; if someone wants to put together some insanely good package for him, well no one's untradeable.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Bailey, IMO, should be untouchable. This organization needs to shed itself of the reputation, although true, that it can't develop good pitching. Bailey needs to be given that opportunity to change it. Will he succeed or fail? I have no idea, but at this point, it appears he has a good chance to succeed. Give him the chance.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Santana and maybe guys like Peavy or Beckett or another young guy who has had success if and only if they are guanenteed to be a red for the next 5+ years.

No one is untouchable, but if you deal him you better put a serious hurting on the other fellow. I would move Arroyo or Harang (if he can't be extended) before you move Homer. Ideally, you keep all three and try to build around them. I would love to see the Reds for once with a seriously strong rotation for once.

Homer is not a sure thing (no prospect is), but its been so long since the Reds system has produced an arm even approaching his caliber that I believe you have to hold onto him and ride it out.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    The team that had Nolan Ryan at age 20 got darn little out of him. He broke through at age 25.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat
    Homer is not a sure thing (no prospect is), but its been so long since the Reds system has produced an arm even approaching his caliber that I believe you have to hold onto him and ride it out.
    Since 2002 to be exact. Now, I think Bailey is a better prospect than Ty Howington was, but Howington had an incredible 2001 season and BA ranked him the 25th-best prospect in baseball (Bailey will go top 10 in the 2007 list).

The right trade for Bailey probably isn't out there, but if you could get a major league pitcher you love (whoever that may be) then it would be fairly crazy to hold onto Bailey on principle.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The team that had Nolan Ryan at age 20 got darn little out of him. He broke through at age 25.

Since 2002 to be exact. Now, I think Bailey is a better prospect than Ty Howington was, but Howington had an incredible 2001 season and BA ranked him the 25th-best prospect in baseball (Bailey will go top 10 in the 2007 list).

The right trade for Bailey probably isn't out there, but if you could get a major league pitcher you love (whoever that may be) then it would be fairly crazy to hold onto Bailey on principle.

Agreed, but it would probably be a pitcher who was near Free Agency (in which case I don't do the deal) or someone so good that the other guy won't do the deal for an untried arm like Bailey (as you said, it probably isn't out there).

In any case, I do my very utmost to make the deal to put this theorectical arm in the rotation next to Bailey instead of instead of him. That includes crafting a deal from among Bruce, Votto, Cueto, Wood or possible even Dunn (if I can get a bat back also) if need be.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-22-2006 at 09:59 AM.

These are the 10 players in the Reds system that it would be hardest for me to deal. The higher the rank the greater the more I would holdout. With a 3yr. contract extension, Harang would leapfrog Homer. Dunn is probably still the most valuable asset in the system and I wouldn't want to deal him, but he's probably also the one most likely to bring an equitable return/value if bundled in a trade so that makes him a little bit more palatable for me to deal and lowers his rank a bit.

1. Bailey
    2. Harang
    3. Encarnacion
    4. Dunn
    5. Bruce
    6. Arroyo
    7. Cueto
    8. Wood
    9. Votto
    10. Phillips

My 10 would be as follows
    1. Baily
    2. Bruce
    3. Harang (if a longer term deal is worked out, if not he drops)
    4. EE
    5. Votto
    6. Wood
    7. Phillips
    8. Dunn
    9. Cueto
    10. Griffey (he means too much to this team marketing wise. He sells merchandise and brings people to the ball park. Not to mention he is on the verge of 600 and is a future HOF.)

The Untouchables
    1. Bailey
    2. Bruce
    3. Votto
    4. Harang
    5. Encarnacion
    6. Wood
    7. Cueto
    8. Dunn
    9. Phillips
    10. Bray

For everyone on this list, they are almost untouchable completely, but not quite. As Peter Griffin once sang "Can't touch this. Except you, you can touch this all the time" (I just wanted to say that). And anybody can touch Griffey if they give up a prospect and don't want any more than two million dollars. He's HORRIBLE for our defense. I love Griffey, but trading him to anybody willing to pick up his contract would be the smartest move.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

There are no untouchables in my book.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    My 10 would be as follows
    1. Baily
    2. Bruce
    3. Harang (if a longer term deal is worked out, if not he drops)
    4. EE
    5. Votto
    6. Wood
    7. Phillips
    8. Dunn
    9. Cueto
    10. Griffey (he means too much to this team marketing wise. He sells merchandise and brings people to the ball park. Not to mention he is on the verge of 600 and is a future HOF.)
    I love Junior, but would probably move him in any deal offered thst toolk a significant portion of his remaining contract with it.

I think his contract, waning skills and his liability in CF far out-weigh any remaining marketing value at this point. Due to his injuriy woes of the last few years, I think his drawing-power is seriously diminished anyway.

If he moved to a corner OF spot I would consider retaining him, but any offer of anything seriously useful would mean he was gone if I was GM.

Turn Off Ads?