Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Griffey Jr. breaks hand

Re: Griffey Jr. breaks hand

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Has Junior been playing too much Guitar Hero II with Trey?
    Maybe Joel Zumaya.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

This is much ado about nothing. If it was Adam Dunn's hand, it would be a non-issue. He'll be fine for spring. The real question is whether he can bounce back after having not so good of a year when he did play last year.

No, i fully understand your views, injuries happen and are just poor luck more often than lot. And i agree most off season injuries go unreported and are trivial. If this happened to Ryan Freel only RedsZone would know. ESPN would not be running it on the bottomline.

But lets be realistic. Some people are short and cant play basketball at a high level because of it. Some great baseball players cant hit a curveball due to lack of hand eye coordination. Imagine if Doug Flutie were 6'6" ? All of these are genetic and general health issues that the player can not control but prevent them from doing what they would love to do.

Ken Griffey Jr. is obviously just too fragile to ever again be a major league baseball player worthy of his salary ,job position , and other concessions the team provides him.

Some people i know catch colds frequently and miss at my workplace because of allergies or other issues beyond thier control and that leads to poor job production. After about the 15th day off in a 6 month span i feel its best to cut them loose for the sake of the business.

Im not blaming Griffey, and i really would love nothing more than to see him in his prime once again. Ive defended him over the years time after time, Im just saying i , me - personally , am done with it and have finally turned the corner and decided id rather see him out of the Reds organization. Im jumping on the bandwagon of those ive disagreed with for so long.

For the sake of the team/business.

You know it is a slow offseason for the Reds when Griffey breaking his hand during the offseason makes major news.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Boiling with anger over an injury? I'm usually the one that people tell to check their priorities.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I remember Aaron Boone having his wrist broken by a hbp, and I think he was back in less than two months. Why should this linger into the season? He'll be ready to go.

I am going to attempt to put a positive spin on this. Maybe Griffey gets his injury out of the way early and can actually play a full season?

If this were going to happen, I would rather this happen now, while we're still 7-8 weeks away from spring training then in February, March or April.

Quote Originally Posted by realistic View Post
    Im a very patient and forgiving man, but to read that he broke his hand in the offseason has me boiling with anger. .
    I doubt he did it on purpose....

Quote Originally Posted by realistic View Post
    I am officialy surrendering my seat in his corner.
    Injuries to his legs, the defensive shift and advancing age really are the perfect storm for the Reds and Griffey's backloaded contract. I think Griffey is a first ballot HOFer but I really hope he retires during spring training. I don't want to watch Griffey be a replacement level talent.... and I certainly don't want the Reds to pay him for it like he was an elite player.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

The guy can't catch a break

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    You know it is a slow offseason for the Reds when Griffey breaking his hand during the offseason makes major news.
    Under what circumstance would you imagine that this wouldn't make news? He is, after all, our $12 million starting centerfield-playing Hall of Famer, and the face of the franchise.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Must...bash...Junior...
    Haven't...bashed...Junior...in...so...long...

You're a team man, Mr. Griff
    You're selfless as a saint
    You'd play catcher if they asked you
    You'd happily bat eighth
    Mr. Griiiiiiff
    Too bad you're retired...
    ...and your prima donna son ain't....

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Can't catch a ball hit in the gap either.

Oh No, Where Dooooomed!!!!:
    Man the way same the media played this thing you'd think that.
    "it took me back in time thru dwindling joy
    to when i was such a guilt ridden catholic boy
    im evangelical agnostic now"
    Happy New Year Todd Snider

Yours A ChampCar Fanatic And In The Home Of Champange Velvet Beer,

Andy K.

Terre Haute Brewing CO.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Mariners got their revenge when they traded him away in 2000.

You're right those future Hall of Famers we sent their way have led to a dominant era of World Series champions in Seattle haven't they!

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Wrong Matt, he caught a break, unfortunately, he caught it in his hand.

Turn Off Ads?