Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brandon McCarthy to Texas

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Brandon McCarthy to Texas

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Hea...aspx?sport=MLB

Sources told the Dallas Morning News that the Rangers have acquired Brandon McCarthy from the White Sox for John Danks and Nick Masset.

Wow. There will also be a couple of lesser prospects exchanged. The White Sox had previously been after both Danks and Masset in a Jon Garland trade. This is far a better trade for the Rangers. McCarthy isn't far away from being a better pitcher than Garland and he's five years away from free agency. Garland, on the other hand, is due $22 million over the next two years before he becomes a free agent. The White Sox are getting a couple of talented arms here, but this is the third trade Ken Williams has made this winter that we're not fond of. Dec. 23 - 2:24 pm et
    Somewhat surprising since they were trying to get McCarthy into the rotation. Just hope Ken Williams knows what he is doing.
    Last edited by WVRed; 12-23-2006 at 03:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon McCarthy to Texas

I just saw this one on the Red Sox board. I can't figure what Williams was trying to accomplish by trading a pitcher of McCarthy's age, experience, and ability for very good but unproven prospects.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Ken Williams is a tool. Nothing new.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    He may be a 5 star tool, but right now I'd take him over Krivsky.

nice deal for the Strangers
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Why the White Sox would trade McCarthy after moving Garica to the Phillies is beyond me.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Looks to me Williams believes McCarthy is overrated hype.................interesting

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I thought I remember McCarthy making some not so flattering remarks about needing to be a starter next year just a few weeks back.

Can't seem to find them now, but I thought it might have raised a few eyebrows at the time.

But it could be like Aronchis said - perhaps a few years of watching him has made Williams believe McCarthy is a high ceiling mirage and won't get much better.

On another note - It seems to me just about every time teams dealing established starting pitchers they make a comment about "dealing from strength" and yet it always seems to come back and bite them in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Doubt it. McCarthy gave up 1.81 HR per nine. He could be really bad in Texas. Williams sold high before McCarthy got exposed in the rotation full time.

I wonder what, if anything, this means for Zito.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I wonder what, if anything, this means for Zito.
    He's going to end up in your stocking tonight.

I have this weird feeling Zito will end up with Boston after Boras successfully negotiated the contract for Mr Gyroball.

I can't imagine Boston really wants Papelbon to go to the rotation.

Zito solves that problem.

I think Zito is going to be a Met, I would imagine that the deal is all but done.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Papelbon is a sure thing for the rotation IMO

I agree with Jpup, Zito will be a Met.

I am 37 years old and still believe in Santa. I went to the mall yesterday sat on his lap and asked for the Reds to get Zito for Christmas. HE told me that he would deliever on my request because he was a HUGE Reds fan. Santa has NEVER let me down so I know for a fact Zito will be a Red before the end of the week. Santa does not lie, never has and never will.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    He's going to end up in your stocking tonight.

I have this weird feeling Zito will end up with Boston after Boras successfully negotiated the contract for Mr Gyroball.

I can't imagine Boston really wants Papelbon to go to the rotation.

Zito solves that problem.
    If Zito goes to Boston I will throw myself off a cliff.

I was going to say that I still think he may end up in Texas, but it looks
    like alexad has taken care of things for us. Cheers, man! Merry Christmas!
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?