Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade Idea

Trade Idea

Thought I would throw this out to chew on over Christmas:

Ryan Freel to the San Diego Padres for RHP Scott Linebrink.

Reds get a potential closer in Linebrink, who has been a setup man to closer Trevor Hoffman for several years. And with the emergence of RHP Cla Meredith, the Padres could replace Linebrink with Meredith. With the departure of Dave Roberts, the Padres don't have a leadoff hitter.

Losing Freel means the Reds would have to go with Denorfia as an everyday player unless the Reds sign a veteran like Steve Finley to back Denorfia in center while providing a lefthanded bat to come off the bench in late innings.

Opinions?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade Idea

I think Freel is the most logical guy to trade but I would rather the Reds packaged him with some minor league player(s) and went after a starting picther.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

How about Freel and Ceuto for Meredith and Hensley?

Hensleys numbers as a starter were impressive
    Code:
    11 10 3.56 29 29 1 1 0 0 177.0 158 73 70 15 3 72 112
    GO/FO ratio was 276 157 1.93
    He'd make a nice number three for us.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

OK DRACODAVE that looks great but Padres would say NO.

A. Considering all of the rumored deals the Padres turned down for Linebrink last year including a straight up deal for Kearns, why would they trade him now for Freel?

B. Why do the Reds need to trade for a closer or potential closer at this point. The offense is bad and the starting pitching goes 2 deep. This team isn't close to competing so why waste someone like Freel who could possibly be packaged to get a starter for a potential closer who won't have many chances to save games anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Sanchez View Post
    A. Considering all of the rumored deals the Padres turned down for Linebrink last year including a straight up deal for Kearns, why would they trade him now for Freel?

B. Why do the Reds need to trade for a closer or potential closer at this point. The offense is bad and the starting pitching goes 2 deep. This team isn't close to competing so why waste someone like Freel who could possibly be packaged to get a starter for a potential closer who won't have many chances to save games anyway.
    I agree that the Fathers would reject the trade. Trevor isn't a spring chicken by any means. Linebrink could slide right into the closers role when Trev retires.

I truely believe that the reds would be a contender if they had a quality closer and a good number three starter. They would suprise the most of us. I just don't think we have the goods to get either of those two. None to less both of them.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I think Freel is the most logical guy to trade but I would rather the Reds packaged him with some minor league player(s) and went after a starting picther.
    Ding, Ding, Ding. As I have said a number of times, a Freel and Wood combo is the basis for getting the starter this team needs. Then trade Lohse for a prospect and to make payroll room for the guy acquired.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Ding, Ding, Ding. As I have said a number of times, a Freel and Wood combo is the basis for getting the starter this team needs. Then trade Lohse for a prospect and to make payroll room for the guy acquired.
    Or better yet, do the trade as suggested and just bump up payroll to absorb the contract.

It's so much fun to play with other people's money.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I think the Reds would spend the money on the right player. But who is the right player? The ones who have mediocre careers that are getting anywhere between 8 to 10 million a season? Or is the right guy like Soriano and Zito where they will command 15-20 million a season for five or six seasons?

I think Krivsky showed us the best deals is the trade route. Why pay someone like Perez, Hillenbrand, Wilson and Loretta 4+ million for at least two or three seasons when you can get the same production by trading for a Conine for two million for one year? All it cost you was two marginal prospects.

Now the Reds have a problem with the 40-man roster because it's full. Hopefully Brendan Harris clears waivers and the Reds can re-sign him to a minor league deal. Signing another free agent will complicate matters also with the 40-man roster.

But if you want to get more bang for your buck, I think you're better off going the trade route then overpay for mediocre talent this offseason.

IMHO Freel wouldn't make an attractive centerpiece in a trade for an established starter for any team in the majors... he's a guy with a unique skill set that makes him great roster glue.... thats useful but not worth 170-200 innings... Basically, I just don't see controlling Freel for one year as having tremendous trade value period.

Freel is probably more legitimately trade bait for a high risk/high reward arm like Angel Guzman...

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    IMHO Freel wouldn't make an attractive centerpiece in a trade for an established starter for any team in the majors... he's a guy with a unique skill set that makes him great roster glue.... thats useful but not worth 170-200 innings... Basically, I just don't see controlling Freel for one year as having tremendous trade value period.

Freel is probably more legitimately trade bait for a high risk/high reward arm like Angel Guzman...
    I agree. The Cubs would be a good target and I wouldn't need a high dollar guy. I personally like Marmol more than Guzman but something along those lines. If there is a way to get Mike Wuertz while we're at it that would solve a couple problems.

I think a cheap L/O hitter with speed, OBP and ability to play CF is in demand. The unreal money paid to Matthews JR and Juan Pierre says so. Freel is better than either of them for that role. Especially if a team is looking to dump a contract like the White Sox and Rockies were. But I'd be happy with a Marmol, Guzman, Correia, Ledezma or some one of that ilk. Cubs, Braves and Marlins look like the most likely trade partners in a Freel deal IMO.

Leadoff hitters are hard to come by.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Thought I would throw this out to chew on over Christmas:

Ryan Freel to the San Diego Padres for RHP Scott Linebrink.

Reds get a potential closer in Linebrink, who has been a setup man to closer Trevor Hoffman for several years. And with the emergence of RHP Cla Meredith, the Padres could replace Linebrink with Meredith. With the departure of Dave Roberts, the Padres don't have a leadoff hitter.

Losing Freel means the Reds would have to go with Denorfia as an everyday player unless the Reds sign a veteran like Steve Finley to back Denorfia in center while providing a lefthanded bat to come off the bench in late innings.

Opinions?
    I think we can get more in a trade involving Freel, but I wouldn't be opposed to Freel for Linebrink as the principles of the deal.

I really feel that Freel is the odd man out for the Reds in 2007, and that Denorfia is an everyday player. Josh Hamilton will make the roster out of ST, so that really means Freel will get less playing time. He's our excess right now. Trade him for some pitching.

One of your more solid proposals, Krusty.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I think we can get more in a trade involving Freel, but I wouldn't be opposed to Freel for Linebrink as the principles of the deal.

I really feel that Freel is the odd man out for the Reds in 2007, and that Denorfia is an everyday player. Josh Hamilton will make the roster out of ST, so that really means Freel will get less playing time. He's our excess right now. Trade him for some pitching.

One of your more solid proposals, Krusty.
    Chicago White Sox say "We need a lead off hitter and centerfielder!"

They have young pitching..

Think we can make a deal?
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

No
    More
    Relief
    Pitchers
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Turn Off Ads?