Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds have money to spend

Reds have money to spend

Krivsky said at the winter meetings that the Reds were willing to spend "close" to the $8 million former Cincinnati infielder Rich Aurilia got over two years when he signed with San Francisco this offseason.

There's a long list of serviceable pitchers unsigned: Tony Armas, Keith Foulke, Dustin Hermanson, Dan Kolb, Tomo Ohka, Chris Reitsma, Arthur Rhodes, Scott Schoeneweis and Ron Villone.
    ...Yeah okay thats a scarey 'serviceable list'
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds have money to spend

None of those players listed above will push this team into the playoffs.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Serviceable...yeah, that's exactly what they need.

And please Wayne, do not sign Schoeneweis even if he is free. I want the draft pick.

Tony Armas - fine by me
    Keith Foulke - going to Cleveland most likely
    Dustin Hermanson - eh
    Dan Kolb - god no
    Tomo Ohka - fine by me
    Chris Reitsma - I wouldn't mind it
    Arthur Rhodes - No more lefties
    Scott Schoeneweis - Been there, done that.
    Ron Villone - No more lefties

I'd be interested in Armas, Ohka, Reitsma and Schoenweis.

Is Dustin Hermanson healthy?
    He was doing pretty good as the White Sox closer before he got injured.

As a starter, the only person on the list I'd like to have is Ohka. I wouldn't mind Reitsma in the pen.

I'm a little surprised Ohka's still out there.

Why discusss pitching? We signed Stanton and Weathers and KrivO said he's fine with Milton and Lohse as the #3 & #4 starters. That means all we need is a #5 starter and he will have to be pretty dang crappy to slot in behind Milton and Lohse. We already have plenty of pretty dang crappy in-house candidates, so what more do we need?

That's why I don't get why people are so mad about the players that the Reds aren't signing. This is the worst class of FA's in years and these idiot teams are overpaying for them. I would much rather the Reds not do much. By waiting they are accomplishing many things.

1. Giving a badly depleted minor league system a year to develop. This way you get a better idea of what you can really expect from Votto, Bailey and the others to contribute to the Reds in the near future. Are they potential starters? Can they be used as bargaining chips in a trade?
    2. You're giving the new pitching and hitting coaches a year to work with the Reds roster.
    3. Now that you have done this it's the end of the 2007 season. Milton's 9 million contract is off the books. You now know if Dunn is worth picking up his option. If not, you gain around 12 million for payroll. If so, you have a young power hitter to really build a team with for the long haul. I also believe that if Jr. is still with the club after 2007, they will buy out the final year. There are other contracts like Freel's that will be expired as well. Krivsky will really know after 2007 what he has got and he should have at least $20 million available to sign free agents and this is why NOT signing players from this year's class of FA's is good. Next year's class will be outstanding. I know it's frustrating but in the long haul the Reds are right to be cautious during this offseason.

I had no idea Ronny V. was still around. I thought he went away after '99
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    That's why I don't get why people are so mad about the players that the Reds aren't signing. This is the worst class of FA's in years and these idiot teams are overpaying for them. I would much rather the Reds not do much. By waiting they are accomplishing many things.

1. Giving a badly depleted minor league system a year to develop. This way you get a better idea of what you can really expect from Votto, Bailey and the others to contribute to the Reds in the near future. Are they potential starters? Can they be used as bargaining chips in a trade?
    2. You're giving the new pitching and hitting coaches a year to work with the Reds roster.
    3. Now that you have done this it's the end of the 2007 season. Milton's 9 million contract is off the books. You now know if Dunn is worth picking up his option. If not, you gain around 12 million for payroll. If so, you have a young power hitter to really build a team with for the long haul. I also believe that if Jr. is still with the club after 2007, they will buy out the final year. There are other contracts like Freel's that will be expired as well. Krivsky will really know after 2007 what he has got and he should have at least $20 million available to sign free agents and this is why NOT signing players from this year's class of FA's is good. Next year's class will be outstanding. I know it's frustrating but in the long haul the Reds are right to be cautious during this offseason.
    There is nothing that says payflex is only for signing free agents. It could also allow you to take on a contract in a trade for a needed pitcher. I actually think this is the right approach.

Or it could have been used on a better bat than Conine.

Or maybe you throw a ton at Harang and Arroyo and try to keep the window of opportunity from closing in 2008. The future most are waiting for ends when Harang, Dunn and Arroyo leave even if Bailey, Votto and the others all hit it big.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    I had no idea Ronny V. was still around. I thought he went away after '99
    Pitching-wise he left after the '99 season. However, no one told him he was done since he's left handed and breathing.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    There is nothing that says payflex is only for signing free agents. It could also allow you to take on a contract in a trade for a needed pitcher. I actually think this is the right approach.

Or it could have been used on a better bat than Conine.

Or maybe you throw a ton at Harang and Arroyo and try to keep the window of opportunity from closing in 2008. The future most are waiting for ends when Harang, Dunn and Arroyo leave even if Bailey, Votto and the others all hit it big.
    I'd agree with what's behind door number 1, 2 and 3 Alex!

I think the trade/take on more sallary combo for a pitcher makes the most sense if you want to get another solid guy. If you are just looking for a run of the mill #3 from the FA pool your choices are pretty much Okha and Suppan. Neither of which excite me (frankly, I'm not sure what the difference between them and what we already have is) UNLESS we can get an attractive one year deal. I highly doubt that will take place.

Instead of overpsending on a crappy FA pitcher and getting ourselves another Milton-esque contract, which some seem obssessed with doing, I'd rather try to trade for a pitcher with some experience/track record, who would step into the role and take it over. Not another "we hope he can work out" type. Combine Freel, Ceuto, possibly Bruce and some cash and you can get yourself a decent established guy.

If we could find another BA/AH caliber of pitcher (and honestly, I'm not sure who that might be specifically) we'd have one solid 1,2,3 rotation. I'd rather have that, then BA/AH as 1 and 2, a crappy FA LTC as number 3 and then Milton/Loshe.

Of course I'd like to trade for a true #1 stud, HOF type guy, but frankly, I think all it would take is one of the "second teir" guys like a Harrang or Arroyo and we'd have one, very nice 1, 2, 3 punch.

Combine that rotation, with a move for a solid bat (not Conine) along with the tallent we alrady have and we might actually really be competitive. Not top of the line, but in much better shape than we've ever been in a long, long time.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 12-24-2006 at 12:42 PM.

Turn Off Ads?