Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the Reds finished?

Are the Reds finished?

I am starting to think that any major moves are not going to happen. That means that are lineup is as follows?

C David Ross
    1B Scott Hatteberg
    2B Brandon Phillips
    SS Alex Gonzalez
    3B Edwin Encarnacion
    LF Adam Dunn
    CF Ken Griffey Jr.
    RF Freel/Deno/Conine/Crosby

Are you serious?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Are the Reds finished?

Quote Originally Posted by jamess697 View Post
    I am starting to think that any major moves are not going to happen. That means that are lineup is as follows?

C David Ross
    1B Scott Hatteberg
    2B Brandon Phillips
    SS Alex Gonzalez
    3B Edwin Encarnacion
    LF Adam Dunn
    CF Ken Griffey Jr.

Are you serious?
    I think you are right. Not much more will happen IMO. Still may get a Griffey shift to RF and a real low budget limited upside pitcher added to the mix. Some one like Russ Ortiz or Steve Trachsel maybe if they still haven't got anything going right before spring. If that happens WK will probably guarantee them around $3 Million.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by jamess697 View Post

C David Ross
    1B Scott Hatteberg
    2B Brandon Phillips
    SS Alex Gonzalez
    3B Edwin Encarnacion
    LF Adam Dunn
    CF Ken Griffey Jr.

Are you serious?

Swap Crosby for Josh Hamilton and there you have it. That's your 2007 Cincinnati Reds.

I give the over under of runs scored at 625.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think you are right. Not much more will happen IMO. Still may get a Griffey shift to RF and a real low budget limited upside pitcher added to the mix. Some one like Russ Ortiz or Steve Trachsel maybe if they still haven't got anything going right before spring. If that happens WK will probably guarantee them around $3 Million.
    That sounds about right, although I still have some hope Wayne is trying to acquire a pitcher through trade. I would be suprised if he doesn't add another veteran who knows how to play the game like Jose Hernandez or Tony Bautista by Opening Day though.

Yes, until July
    Go Gators!

Just hope this team doesnt play over their heads early. Things would be looking much better for this franchise had they tanked early last season and been sellers at the deadline. The quickest way to turn this thing around and the most realistic way in my opinion is by stripping it down at the deadline. Keep your core (Harang, Dunn, EE) and maybe a few others but anything else should be fair game.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't know if trader Wayne will suddenly get bored and stop making moves. The question is will he make moves that deal with the issues at hand, or will he continue to add "jack of all trade" types that aren't really good at any one position.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I'll add to that core of young players we should keep.

Phillips (even weak sticked his defense is stellar)
    Coffey
    Bray
    Weathers (Clutch closer and yes he's not young, but I'd rather have him to teach these younger guys the ropes than say Cormier or Stanton.)

Everyone else can be packaged and shipped for major league ready talent. Start fixing the wholes we have and get ready for a time where we can be competitive for years to come. Not having to worry about a "year to year" basis. Cause seriously, you want to fix this team. Sell high, get your ML ready talent and call it a day.

It's what Florida did and I have to say, they did very good with Uggla, Rameriez, all the young pitching they stock piled etc. If you seem to sit there and think that this team doesn't need a complete make over you're kidding. Our outfield defense is going to be the worst in baseball expecially if Conine because everyday RF. He doesn't add the power bat we need, he doesn't add the contact we need, does he give profressional at-bats? What the hell are those anyway?

Hatteberg is not the answer at first either. Craig Wilson everyday, with Conine and Hatteberg as our bench "vet" prescense, would have been the answer. Who cares if Craig stumbles abit? Give him a two year deal with the second year being a club option. If he doesnt perform, cut him and start over. It's that simple. We gave two years to Stanton, why not Wilson? Conine is two million for a year. Wilson would be what? Five million a year? Add pay-roll to fill gaps and show free-agents that you aren't lying. Show your fans you arent lying.

Right now all I see is a GM/Owner, saving face and praying that one of these guys has a career year while we build up our minors. Sure, build up the minors but don't neglect the majors in doing so.

Right now I see a few agents we can sign and have a good team with..

Harrang.
    Arroyo.
    Ohka
    Armas
    Milton

Trade Loshe. That's a DECENT starting rotation, and with our added defense up the middle thats enough to make us legit contenders in the start-rotation department.

Now for bats, easy enough.

1b Craig Wilson
    2b Brandon Phillips
    3b Edwin
    SS A-Gon
    LF Dunn
    CF Denorfia/Freel/Trade
    RF Griffey
    C Ross/Valentine

Hows that for competetive? Thats the team we SHOULD be seeing. Enough promises. More WORKING. Talk is cheap, but ticket prices and losing fans isn't.

Put your words to the checkbook and start getting these guys.
    Last edited by Dracodave; 12-24-2006 at 01:37 PM.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

You guys need to chill out about the offense. It will probably be league average.

1B Hatteberg/Conine
    2B Phillips
    SS Gonzo
    3B Edwin
    LF Dunn
    CF Freel/Deno
    RF Griffey

That isn't a terrible lineup. It's not as good as opening day of last year, but it's not bad.

We need another pitcher. If we get a guy like Okha I will be satisfied with the offseason.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

I can't believe WK will go into ST without a bona fide closer. If expects a committee of Weathers, Coffey, Bray, Majewski and Stanton to man the closers role for the Reds then 70-75 wins are in order.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    You guys need to chill out about the offense. It will probably be league average.
    Only if the league is the international league. They were below average last year and they are much worse at the SS spot. They will likely see drops at 1B, 2B and C as well.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

1B Hatteberg/Conine
    2B Phillips
    SS Gonzo
    3B Edwin
    LF Dunn
    CF Freel/Deno
    RF Griffey

That isn't a terrible lineup. It's not as good as opening day of last year, but it's not bad.

We need another pitcher. If we get a guy like Okha I will be satisfied with the offseason.
    Agree.

Conine might get some OF at bats but he was obtained to play 1B with Hatteberg until Votto is ready.

Griffey will be in RF 100-120 games with Deno or Freel in RF the other 40-60.
    Freel will also get time at 2b/3b when people need a day off.

This lineup is worse offensively than opening day 2006 but is much better defensively.

I too am happy with the offseason. I didn't expect a massive Dunn trade.
    I am happy we didn't sign some awful long term contracts.
    If we can put a competitive team on the field in 2007 I will watch.
    I think 2008/2009 is when the Reds will contend.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Agree.

Conine might get some OF at bats but he was obtained to play 1B with Hatteberg until Votto is ready.

This lineup is worse offensively than opening day 2006 but is much better defensively.

Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Agree.

Conine should be at 1B but with Jerry's penchant to change up the line up daily and mix-and-match all the time, I don't think it's unreasonable that he'll get more than "a few" OF starts. Especially if Deno or Freel are traded.

Jr should be in RF, but thus far we've been given no indication this will happen. There's been whispers and hopes but nothing definate. Maybe it will happen, as I think that it will be a good move to move him to RF and platoon Freel/Deno in CF, but as yet we've got nothing to base a JR move to RF other than hope.

I too am glad to didn't get itchy and sign a bad long term contract from this years crop of FA agents. The last thing we need are any more Milton-esque contracts.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 12-24-2006 at 03:41 PM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Just hope this team doesnt play over their heads early. Things would be looking much better for this franchise had they tanked early last season and been sellers at the deadline. The quickest way to turn this thing around and the most realistic way in my opinion is by stripping it down at the deadline. Keep your core (Harang, Dunn, EE) and maybe a few others but anything else should be fair game.
    problem is ...... the "anything else" is not gonna bring much back to rebuild.
    in the past , we have done this with the spare parts and got back guys like josh hancock..machado...chick etc.
    not exactly guys who are gonna lead you to promised land.

Turn Off Ads?