Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bengals/Broncos: Bengals can clinch WC

Re: Bengals/Broncos: Bengals can clinch WC

The Bengals do not deserve a playoff hope, and I actually find myself kind of hoping they don't make it.
    Mainly because, if they actually do make it to the postseason, then they will simply assume they can pull the same crap they did this seaon on field and off any old time they want. This team needs to learn to hone their skills, rather than DWIing them.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Yep... feels like the old Bungles after today's game.

(1) Coaching - Are the coaches that good? Do they make adjustments during the game? The 99-yard drive by the Broncos hurt. The offense gets the ball with 9:30 left in the game at their own 20, throw 3 times and punt... while Rudi and the running game were working well. Why in sam hades do you kick that stupid loft thing after the first onsides kick (covered by the Bengals) was nullified by a penalty? Stupid.

(2) Carson Palmer - Just doesn't seem to have it the last couple of weeks. Two bad interceptions... bad throw in the endzone and a pass that should not have been made to Chad when Bailey had him covered like a blanket. Many bad throws... many. A couple of deep balls that were overthrown to wide open Henry and Chad. Injured shoulder or just a funk?

(3) Justin Smith - Quit going inside if you do not have someone outside to cover your area. That is why the Broncos kept running the reverse to your side. You'd think after 3 of those reverses he'd learn (or the coaches would tell him?). Luckily Dexter Jackson covered his butt with great pursuit and heads up play the last two times. He also moved inside on the 99-yard drive when the Broncos ran right at him and gained 17-yards when they had 2nd-and-9 from the 2-yard-line. A D-end must not allow guys to get outside of his area. He does it all the time.

(4) Refs - Maybe I am biased, but it seems that the Bengals get the shaft week in and week out. That WR had possesion when he grabbed the gadget play pass? I didn't think so. The defensive holding call? Come on. The interference call on Landon Johnson? Come on. The offsides call on the onside kick? If so, offsides s/b called on every kickoff in the NFL.

(5) Turnovers - No explanation needed. The defense (when not playing a Cleveland or Oakland) is not that good. You cannot give it up 4 times and expect to win.

Oh well. I have suffered through a lot worse as a Bengals lifer. I didn't get mad when the snap was botched. I just shook my head and remembered days of old. I'll be rooting tooth-and-nail against the Steelers and hope to slip in the playoffs. It has been worse!

Anyone else feel like me in that they won't watch the Jets-Dolphins game tommorow night?

I just don't think I can stomach it.

RFA,

I agree with all that you said...however the offisides call on the onside kick was legit. As bad as it hurt, it was legit.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    Anyone else feel like me in that they won't watch the Jets-Dolphins game tommorow night?

I'm quite the opposite....I'll be glued to that game once we get home from my Grandma's.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    RFA,

I agree with all that you said...however the offisides call on the onside kick was legit. As bad as it hurt, it was legit.
    You are probably right, rf30. I guess the sting of the botched PAT was not allowing me to see 20-20 at that point! And we all know that the refs are looking for it a lot closer when an onsides kick seems like an obvious thing. The players on the kick-team need to realize this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post

I will be surprised if the Jets win that game. The Dolphins D is still as good as any in the game and the Jets aren't a whole lot different than the Bengals historically.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    RFA,

It was a legit call. He was offsides by a few inches. But it was selective enforcement, IMO. If you look in slow motion at every kick-off, I'd bet a majority of the time there's at least one player that much past the line.

The refs made a couple of bad calls (pass interference and defensive holding), but the refs did not cost the Bengals the game today. They didn't even come close (as opposed to the Tampa Bay game where they DIRECTLY cost them the game). It looks like that roughing call against Justin Smith might be the difference between the playoffs and staying home. I've still yet to see another call approach that one in attrociousness.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

The illegal shift call on Chad was pretty questionable too.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 12-24-2006 at 10:31 PM. Reason: I decided I didn't like the way the post looked.
    Tyler

I thought the illegal shift call on Chad was the right call. Actually, as soon as the ball was snapped I made the comment that someone was moving before the snap. That would have been a d bad miss had they not called it, IMO.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Some of the penalties against the Bengals may have been soft but they were all stuff that I would expect to be called if the Broncos committed them. The Bengals played yet another atrocious half of football and they deserved to lose.

Still, I remain confident in Marvin Lewis and think he'll learn from the mistakes they've made this year. Marvin is undoubtably the first coach since Sam Wyche who has had a clue. Also, despite the Bengals disappointing season so far, it was not that long ago that we didn't know if Carson Palmer would ever make it back full strength, which he appears to have done.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while I wish the bengals were doing better and while I know that they seem to find ways to lose as only the Bengals can, I remain a fan and think they are finally headed in teh right direction, even if this season ends up a bust.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I'm still on board with Marvin, pedro, but one thing was clear throughout most of the year - this team was a horrible second half team. That points to coaching, IMO. Other teams are making adjustments at halftime and the bengals aren't. Bresnahan has to go. Here's what the Sports Guy said this week about him in his picks column: "Someone In The Know once told me, "Bet against Chuck Bresnahan (Cincy's defensive coordinator) against any good coach. He stinks. Smart coaches and smart QBs always have a field day against him."

Not that my opinion is based solely on this statement, but it's clear from watching this year that the Bengals defense is very poorly coached. That's an indictment on Marvin if you ask me. He needs to get someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    If the Dolphins beat the Jets tomorrow, they're in with a win over Pittsburgh.

Go Dolphins!
    And the problem is that if the Dolphins don't beat the Jets tomorrow night, the season is all but over for Cincinnati. Not that they deserve for it to continue anyway. The Broncos finish up with a home game against SF, so they're going to finish 10-6. The Jets finish up with a bye, er, I mean a home game against Oakland. So if the Jets win tomorrow, they'll have all but eliminated the Bengals. The Pittsburgh game will only be for bragging rights.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I just watched the replay, looked like a crappy snap and with the snow coming down, Larson couldn't handle it out away from his body.
    The snap was going away from him and they would of had no chance to kick the ball even if he fell on it.

Can someone explain the illegal shift penalty to me please. I thought that was a rule in place to keep two players from going in motion at the same time. It looked like there a lineman was finishing going set and Chad moved his back foot, but not as a "going in motion" move.

Turn Off Ads?