Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What you would've done

What you would've done

I hear a lot on this board about how the Reds were better off staying put this offseason due to the outrageous contracts being given to average players. While this is true, I also feel Wayne could've improved the club, especially in terms of the offense. The pitching is tougher to solve, but with just an extra 10 million, which in this day and age is nothing, we could've had one hell of an offense.

Here is what I would've done to improve the offense, what would you have done?

First I would have traded for Sheffield, and signed him to an extension, that is where the extra money comes in.

Second, I would have signed Jose Guillen with A-Gons money, and moved Phillips to SS, and Freel to second.

Third, I would've moved Dunn to first whether he likes it or not.

That gives me this lineup, with only a 10 million jump in payroll:

Freel
    Guillen
    Dunn
    Sheffield
    Griffey
    Encarnacion
    Ross
    Phillips

I honestly believe that lineup is as good as any we have trotted out in a very long time, and it really wouldn't have cost that much more. It would've cost prospects and money for Sheffield, but A-Gons money would've paid for Guillen.

This was just my idea, I'm curious as to what you guys would've done with just the offense.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What you would've done

I don't know if we could have gotten Sheffield or not but I am in agreement with you on the others. I told a friend we should have signed Gullien and moved Dunn to 1B. I would have moved Phillips to SS and even signed one of the many 2B that were available. I am glad they want a better D but you have to score runs to win and unless Griffey goes back to his 05 form, I just don't see them scoring many runs!!

I wouldn't have traded Kearns and Lopez away for Bray. That's the only thing that comes to mind right now.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I wouldn't have traded Kearns and Lopez away for Bray. That's the only thing that comes to mind right now.
    Kearns would have gone to LAD for Penny.

Lopez would have went to CWS for McCarthy. Since they may techinically need a short-stop cause of Uribes murder trail thing.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    Lopez would have went to CWS for McCarthy. Since they may techinically need a short-stop cause of Uribes murder trail thing.
    Juan Uribe murder trail? Is there something I have missed?

I knew that he was questioned regarding the shooting of two men in the D.R., but last I heard (October) he was not being charged.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Juan Uribe murder trail? Is there something I have missed?

I knew that he was questioned regarding the shooting of two men in the D.R., but last I heard (October) he was not being charged.
    Thats what I thought as well till I read this at MLBtraderumors.com

It appears that Listin Diario, the oldest daily newspaper of the Dominican Republic, indicated earlier this week that White Sox shortstop Juan Uribe may not be out of the woods on attempted murder charges. The original article seems to have vanished, but a decent English translation can be found here.

In late November it seemed like Uribe was going to be cleared of the shooting. However, the prosecution is promising new evidence that Uribe was involved. It certainly seems possible that the Sox will enter 2007 with Alex Cintron at shortstop
    Lin here
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Thanks, Draco. I did miss that!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Not a problem. I'm here to help really.

It's easy to say this is what we should have done in hindsight. Atleast we wouldnt be looking for that "number 3 starter" today as a rotation of..

Harrang
    Arroyo
    Penny
    McCarthy
    Milton

Looks fairly solid. McCarthy posted good numbers for the Whitesox in a harder division. Plus BMaCs age is a DEFINITE plus. Penny would fight nicely in that number three slot, and if he falters..well bump up BMaC and slide in Loshe. What was once a weakness becomes a surplus.

That also means if Loshe or Milton does well, trade them for prospects because we'd still have a team to build on, without sacrificing anything that matters.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Kearns would have gone to LAD for Penny.

Well....Kearns woudn't even come close to netting Penny on his own and no sane team is going to play Lopez at SS and expect to win.

Other than that I agree that those two trading chips probably should have been used to get starting pitching.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Well....Kearns woudn't even come close to netting Penny on his own and no sane team is going to play Lopez at SS and expect to win.

Other than that I agree that those two trading chips probably should have been used to get starting pitching.
    No but a package of Kearns + a few players might have. And desperate teams will do desperate moves. BMac for Danks and Nasset, Texas probably will get the worst of that deal over time, but as far as CWS goes they needed BMaC next year more, expecially after ditching Garcia. So to say the Whitesox probably could use Lopez who is better than Cintron is a safe bet.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

No but a package of Kearns + a few players might have. And desperate teams will do desperate moves. BMac for Danks and Nasset, Texas probably will get the worst of that deal over time, but as far as CWS goes they needed BMaC next year more, expecially after ditching Garcia. So to say the Whitesox probably could use Lopez who is better than Cintron is a safe bet.
    As far as I can tell the Reds pretty actively shopped Kearns for at least a year. IIRC, the best return rumored for him was Jake Westbrook or Zack Geinke. In retrospect the Reds probably should have taken Westbrook if that was really on the table but Penny, IMO, is a lot better than Westbrook.

Honestly not sure what you're getting at about desperate teams. The White Sox and Dodgers don't seem particularily desperate to me and it looks to me like t WS got a better deal from Texas than you are proposing from the Reds.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

True thats my point. Texas was the desperate team, but whos to say we cant cash in on that same token? Thats my point, target teams that need your surplus, and then go from there.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

True thats my point. Texas was the desperate team, but whos to say we cant cash in on that same token? Thats my point, target teams that need your surplus, and then go from there.

The Reds really don't have a surplus, aside from maybe Freel.

Thats why we need to start selling high and getting that surplus. No offense but if all we can run is Conine and expect to compete, then we need to do something.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Thats why we need to start selling high and getting that surplus. No offense but if all we can run is Conine and expect to compete, then we need to do something.
    Im pretty sure Krispy has turned over every rock and under each stone the GM on the other line is asking for their top 2 prospects.

Turn Off Ads?