Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleveland in February-- Nothing Better?

Worth The Wait

Cleveland in February-- Nothing Better?

As many of you know, I'm a bit of an odd sort. A Reds fan, a Redskins fan, a Cleveland Cavs fan. Oh yeah, I live in Oklahoma. A weirdo.

This year, I may have just received my all-time favorite Christmas gift. I am being sent to CLEVELAND IN FEBRUARY!!!! This may sound like a nightmare to 99.9% of the universe, but it's pure gold to me. My wife, in-laws, and parents combined to buy me round-trip tickets, game tickets, and three nights at the Renaissance to see the Cavs play the Heat and the Lakers the second week in Feb. I'm on cloud 9. I'm like a kid all over again. This is just the coolest thing.......EVER!

Of course, I do find it interesting that I'll be traveling alone....as much as they love me and wanted to do something special for me, they all decided they'd rather stay back for this one But I don't care. I can't wait.

So, if any of you feel like making the cross-state drive in about 6 weeks, let me know

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cleveland in February-- Nothing Better?

Cleveland is a cool city. It's castigated unfairly by a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Cleveland is a cool city. It's castigated unfairly by a lot of people.
    Given the choice between Cincinnati and Cleveland to live in, I would choose Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Given the choice between Cincinnati and Cleveland to live in, I would choose Cleveland.
    I've lived in both and I'd choose Cincinnati. But, I suppose we are all just trying to excape our past.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    I've lived in both and I'd choose Cincinnati. But, I suppose we are all just trying to excape our past.

Rem
    I have family that lives in northern Kentucky across from Cincinnati. If I had to move to Cincinnati, I would probably prefer to live in Kentucky.

Cleveland is nice too, but that is just from only going to the Rock and Roll HOF and Jacobs Field.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I've lived in both and I'd choose Cincinnati.
    I haven't, so that's probably why I choose Cleveland, that and the weather and the local food.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't reserve the right to flip flop.

I have family that lives in northern Kentucky across from Cincinnati. If I had to move to Cincinnati, I would probably prefer to live in Kentucky.
    All my family ties now live in West Chester, I'd prefer to live on the eastside of Cincinnati if I had to choose.

....that and the weather and the local food.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't reserve the right to flip flop.
    The weather? It's amazing what a difference 250 southern miles can make. Much more 'milder' temps, less cold north wind and no lake effect snow.

Food is, of course, more of a personal preference and WOY and I certainly have differing outlooks on that but I always enjoyed the food in Cincinnati more than Cleveland, but that's just me.

Rem

OK, let's help to make this Ed's Excellent Adventure. He'll be in Cleveland for three days, by himself, and if ya' can't meet up with him how about some suggestions of things to do.

It's been about 3 years since I've been in Cleveland but the usual things regarding the R & R HOF and the Flats come to mind while staying downtown. How about some more current suggestions?

Ed, what dates will you be there? There may be some things going on during the time you're there that locals will be aware of.

BTW, the Renassaince used to be the Cleveland Sheraton when I was a kid. From the time I was 14 thru 16 I would take the bus to DT Cleveland and work as a vendor at the old Muni Stadium. It was a perfect way to see the game for free and make some money at the same time. After night games I would often go to the coffee shop at the Sheraton to wait for the bus. That was the team hotel for many teams and I met players like Al Kaline, Harmon Killebrew, Bob Alison, Tony Oliva (for some reason, Twins players come to mind). Quite a thrill when you're 15 years old. Good times.

As I've mentioned before, I root for the Cavs having been one of the original public stockholders and much of the front office of the original team was made up of fellow BG alums.

Have a great time!

Rem

The weather? It's amazing what a difference 250 southern miles can make. Much more 'milder' temps, less cold north wind and no lake effect snow.
    I hate the summer in Cincinnati enough to take the winter up north.

Worth The Wait

rem-- I'm getting there on 2/9 and leaving on 12/2. The games will dominate my days on Friday and Sunday, but I will have a day to kill on Saturday. I'm pretty easy though-- I'll check out the R+R HOF, see the area, etc.... but honestly, I'm the type of dude that will probably be pretty content chilin' at the hotel, watching the tube, taking a nap..... Suggestions are appreciated though.

I hate the summer in Cincinnati enough to take the winter up north.
    Unfortunately, the shallowness of Lake Erie means that the lake gets warmer in the summer than the other Great Lakes. So we don't get that much of a break on summer temps. It gets pretty humid up here too, because much of northern Ohio was swampland oh so many years ago. Basically, we have hot, humid summmers and cold winters with a lot of snow.

If I lived elsewhere and had to choose to live in one place or the other, I would look at factors other than weather. If you want good weather, choose somewhere other than Ohio.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Well then, chill away Ed. Maybe someone has restaurnat recommendations though.

BTW, I'm sure I don't have to tell you this but you should have time to do a little shopping for Mrs. Skin. She deserves something nice. What a gal to do this for you!

Have a great time.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Well then, chill away Ed. Maybe someone has restaurnat recommendations though.

BTW, I'm sure I don't have to tell you this but you should have time to do a little shopping for Mrs. Skin. She deserves something nice. What a gal to do this for you!

Have a great time.

Rem
    Ed, has anyone recommended a good strip club for you yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Unfortunately, the shallowness of Lake Erie means that the lake gets warmer in the summer than the other Great Lakes. So we don't get that much of a break on summer temps. It gets pretty humid up here too, because much of northern Ohio was swampland oh so many years ago. Basically, we have hot, humid summmers and cold winters with a lot of snow.
    Cincinnati is still more humid then northern Ohio, the air hangs there like and old sheet. I'd take any less amount of humidity... I lived in Detroit long enough to know it's a bit better up north humidity wise.

If I lived elsewhere and had to choose to live in one place or the other, I would look at factors other than weather. If you want good weather, choose somewhere other than Ohio.
    I apply that to the whole Midwest.

Worth The Wait

You guys should come on down to Oklahoma in the summer! Yikes

Turn Off Ads?