Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds pitcher and family looks to help others this Christmas

Reds pitcher and family looks to help others this Christmas

From the local paper in Forest City, North Carolina. The first time I heard he was doing this was from the paper yesterday.
    http://www.thedigitalcourier.com/ind...e=art&index=03

Reds pitcher and family looks to help others this Christmas

By SCOTT BOWERS
    Daily Courier Sports Editor
    FOREST CITY — Each and every year in our community thousands of individuals, hundreds of church groups and dozens of organizations come together to aid those in need at Christmas time.
    Add the Coffey family to that list.
    Cincinnati Reds pitcher, Todd, and his wife, Nikki, are in the early stages of creating an eventual foundation that they hope will help families all across Rutherford County.
    This year, the Coffey’s teamed up with the Rutherford County Department of Social Services and Robin Spence in selecting one family
    to provide Christmas too.
    “ Todd contacted his cousin, Joy Lancaster,” said Spence. “She in turn contacted me about finding a family. We have so many but I have worked with Mildred Logan and she is so deserving of something like this.”
    Logan, who is rearing her three teenage grandsons, was brought to tears by the generosity when the Coffey’s arrived on Thursday, December 21 with gifts, food and household items. “I just feel so blessed,” said Logan.
    The Coffey’s brought gift cards from area merchants, various food items, new pots and pans, three 10-speed All-terrain bicycles, three CD players and three brand new pairs of Nike tennis shoes including one special order pair.
    “I needed a size 16,” said Coffey. “So I called Nike and they had them to me the very next day.”
    Logan’s three grandchildren — Chris, Perez and Tyler — were pleased with all the items as the giftgiving brought more tears to the eyes of Spence.
    “She is trying to raise three grandchildren on so little each month,” said Spence. “She works so very hard and they as a family are trying so hard.”
    The Coffey’s want this year to be just a start on the couples long-term plans.
    “My hope is to jump start something that will give back to Rutherford County,” Coffey said. “ We want it to grow — to bring in local businesses — and not to dissuade the money that goes internationally or nationally to organizations. I support those too but to try and build something that helps the people right here.”
    Last edited by Coffeybro; 12-25-2006 at 06:56 AM.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

They wheeled a 3x4 steel safe into the clubhouse Sunday morning to store the players' valuables. It took four guys to lift it off a dolly and onto a table.

Said pitcher Kent Mercker: "What's that, Junior Griffey's wallet?"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds pitcher and family looks to help others this Christmas

Great story.

Wow, I'll bet it scared the heck out of those kids to see Todd sprinting up their driveway with all that stuff.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Nice story.
    School's out. What did you expect?

He seems like a great guy. Tell him Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from everyone here if you get the chance.

Thanks for posting it.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Thanks for sharing the great story, Coffeybro - that is what Christmas is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Great story.

Wow, I'll bet it scared the heck out of those kids to see Todd sprinting up their driveway with all that stuff.

That is a nice story. Todd's a great guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Good story.

As you get details of his foundation make sure you keep us up to date. I'm certain there are some on here who would love to contribute to it.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Thanks for the story, CoffeyBro... there's another nice Christmas story about Todd on the Reds MLB page.

I had the pleasure of meeting Todd at Redsfest... a total treat. That's what I like best about the event; the opportunity to actually speak to the players. I wish there was more time for chit chat. Anyway, I was surprised at how tall he is (but then, I'm short so everyone appears tall to me)!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Anyway, I was surprised at how tall he is (but then, I'm short so everyone appears tall to me)!
    He's the runt :-) I've got 4 inches and about 120 lbs on him. We've got a cousin that has about 3 inches on me. Its weird but due to my height I normally look down while walking in department stores etc so I don't step on or knee someones kid. Its happened a surprising amount of times. I just don't see anyone under 4 ft of height if they walk beside or run by my legs.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

They wheeled a 3x4 steel safe into the clubhouse Sunday morning to store the players' valuables. It took four guys to lift it off a dolly and onto a table.

Said pitcher Kent Mercker: "What's that, Junior Griffey's wallet?"

Thanks for posting that, Coffeybro. Great gesture on Todd's part.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?